Page 503 of 983 FirstFirst ... 3403453493501502503504505513553603 ... LastLast
Results 5,021 to 5,030 of 9827

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

No windows OS at all in this household.

Main PC - Ubuntu 8.04 / Fluxbox
    HTPC - Mythbuntu 8.04 / XFCE
    Laptop - Ubunti 9.04 / Gnome
    Secondary PC - Ubuntu 9.04 / Gnome
    Proxy Cache - Debian 4.0r4 Server

8)
    Blog: http://robonuggiesblog.blogspot.com/
    IRC: RoboNuggie #ubuntu-uk, #ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Scratch my reply. I'm back on windows since Angels Online can't work in vbox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Been using Ubuntu for almost 2 yrs now. I originally installed it on my home computer to allow for dual boot into XP but after the install I only booted into XP once to do something with my old MP3 player that I later found out I could have done in Ubuntu.

I never got rid of the XP partition but the computer died on me about 9 months ago. I've now got Ubuntu on a desktop & laptop at home. I'm still stuck using XP for work and let me tell you, switching back to that five days a week is physically painful.

Beans
    Hidden!

I tried switching to Linux exclusively. For a while it worked, I especially liked OpenSuse. But then, with time, various problems started bugging me. Since it is a laptop, I grew annoyed with lack of suspend/hibernation support. Then KDE problems with nvidia prevented me from using that DE, and I didn't like or want any other. I couldn't print properly, nor scan. I couldn't connect my cellphone to it, nor the GSM USB modem. I couldn't use my net banking auth software on it. So I reverted back to Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Since jaunty came out, I didn't follow the upgrade path but did a fresh install instead and took the opportunity to get wipe my windows partition because I simply never used it, don't use wine either.

Mick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I wish I could say completely. Unfortunately at this moment, "no".

We have 4 computers in this house:
    2 Asus Eee 1000's running Eeebuntu 8.04LTS
    A custom built twin-monitor box running Ubuntu 8.04LTS
    And an eMachine dual booting Ubuntu 9.04 and XP.

The ONLY reason I haven't deleted XP is the fact that I have children in public school who occasionally need it for specific homework assignments. I, personally, never touch it. I even told my oldest daughter, "If you break it, You get to fix it." (yes, I am an evil dad.)

I would like to make one quick point about one of the things I have read a lot in this thread. It seems that a lot of times the reason that people are not switching to Ubuntu completely has to do with their dependency on Windows programs. "My favorite Win-app doesn't work". To me, thats like complaining that Chevy parts don't work on your Ford. If you use Linux, like Linux, and want to support Linux, use Linux apps. O.k. so may be they don't do everything you want them too. Thats where you give feed back to those who make the apps and hopefully help to fix the problem, thereby making Linux stronger. Using Windows apps, even in a Linux environment, only helps to strengthen Windows' strangle hold on the market.

Not meant to cut any one down. Just my thoughts.
    "You can never truly understand the opinions of another until you are willing to accept the possibility that there may be a chance that you, yourself, might be wrong." - E. Louis Porter

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Boaslad View Post
    I wish I could say completely. Unfortunately at this moment, "no".

We have 4 computers in this house:
    2 Asus Eee 1000's running Eeebuntu 8.04LTS
    A custom built twin-monitor box running Ubuntu 8.04LTS
    And an eMachine dual booting Ubuntu 9.04 and XP.

The ONLY reason I haven't deleted XP is the fact that I have children in public school who occasionally need it for specific homework assignments. I, personally, never touch it. I even told my oldest daughter, "If you break it, You get to fix it." (yes, I am an evil dad.)

I would like to make one quick point about one of the things I have read a lot in this thread. It seems that a lot of times the reason that people are not switching to Ubuntu completely has to do with their dependency on Windows programs. "My favorite Win-app doesn't work". To me, thats like complaining that Chevy parts don't work on your Ford. If you use Linux, like Linux, and want to support Linux, use Linux apps. O.k. so may be they don't do everything you want them too. Thats where you give feed back to those who make the apps and hopefully help to fix the problem, thereby making Linux stronger. Using Windows apps, even in a Linux environment, only helps to strengthen Windows' strangle hold on the market.

I notice that a lot of people's complaints about Linux's shortcomings aren't the fault of Linux or its developers at all. They may well be valid problems, but when I see people yelling stuff like "It won't work with proprietary device X!", or "X and Y aren't compatible with Office 2007!", I always think, "And just why do you suppose that is, hrmm?"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Today I removed the Xp installation from my pc.I have to say , the only reason I did this was my PC is too old to support high end windows games now.and Games was the one reason I had XP. flying with just Ubuntu now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Boaslad View Post

I actaully agree with this, you can find many alternatives to your favourite Windows based programs in some form of Linux.

But I also think that you have to have the patience, desire to learn and not give up on the first hurdle when things don't quite go the way you want.

. . . and hey if you do get stuck you can always find a nice forum like:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org

There are plenty of nice people here to help! lol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Well, the only Windows I have on computers I own is a partition on one of the desktops, just for two programs that I need for other people and aren't made for linux (yet) just windows and mac. There both 'communication' software like chatting and videocalling.
    The windows I have on office2 is not my choice, I can't change that.
    So as far as I am concerned I am switched to linux completely.
    desktop: Ubuntu 13.04 64-bit | AMD64 Athlon II X3 | 3.2 GHz | 4GB RAM | ATI Radeon HD4250
    netbook: Ubuntu 12.10 32-bit| AAO ZG5 | Intel Atom | 1.6 GHz | 1GB RAM | Intel 945GSE Express

Page 503 of 983 FirstFirst ... 3403453493501502503504505513553603 ... LastLast