Page 451 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 351401441449450451452453461501551951 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,510 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I have start using 8.10 a few days before last Xmas.

I'm still dual booting but will try to switch completely as soon as I have time for it.
    Currently there are 4 reasons to use XP pro:

1. Graphisoft: This is a workflow software for the printing industry. I think its made in France and it uses a dongle (pervasive)

2. Adobe suite CS3: The guy I hire says he is born in this and is very reluctant to switch over to any Ubuntu eqivalent. This will take me time but I will eventually convince him to try.

3. Coreldraw X4: same story as point 2.

4. Office pro 2007: several issues here. The main ones are that I can't see my comments when I open with Open Office 2.4 and also that when I open a Excel file with OO 2.4 most if not all of my macro's are no more working.

I know about Wine, and tried Graphisoft with wine, installs well but does not what to do with the dongle.

I also know about VM but this is not a solution for me. My motivation is to switch over is also to save $$$$. By using VM and install XP + Office 2007 on it, I feel as if I make the whole system just and only more complicated.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spotsworth View Post
    what's windows?
    I'd love to be able to say that and can on my two home machines. I have responsibility for two machines at work: one is a machine only used for programming a CNC router, the other for an engraving machine. A sort of mini-CNC you might call it.
    Both of these have dedicated software and Linux alternatives are not available - I don't think.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I can hardly believe there are many that have completely 100% switched to GNU/Linux, Linux etc. I have used GNU/Linux since 2003 and I have Ubuntu installed on 6 computers but I have from time to time used a VistaPE / BartPE disc to upgrade firmware on certain hardware. Sometimes I have also tried betas and alphas of Windows like with Vista and 7 just out of curiosity. I also run OSX on certain occasions. My current phone runs Winblows as well. Most people I know claiming to run GNU/Linux to a 100% run Windows on work, at school or similar.

If you are one of those who use Ubuntu/Fedora/Sabayon/Gentoo or whatever you use to a 100% then I must congratulate you.

I have not been able to reach there yet.

Beans
    Distro

All my systems run a linux OS for around 6 months (amazing choice wish I had done it earlyer)

Beans

I switched to Ubuntu when release 5,x got out, at my home computer. When version 6.x got out I switched to Ubuntu on my workstation and Labtop at work.
    At home I did it because I wanted to bee released from Microsoft, and I wanted to move on, get cleaver on using Linux.
    At first I didn't like the Command Line but now I wouldn't miss it, it's remarkable what you can do on that line.
    On work I got tiered of reinstalling my Windows once every month because my VMware workstation broke because of overloading with network cards. After installing my Ubuntu I have not reinstalled again,
    I got no time for Windows again...
    Kind regards
    Rikard Svenningsen
    Denmark

Beans

I switched over my Compaq F700 series laptop to linux as soon as i got it. Everything works including the card reader. It's MUCH faster than the bloated vista install that it came with. My wife even uses linux exclusively when she uses the laptop.

Beans

just finished my migration.

made my laptop xubuntu only about a year ago, just built a new desktop and it's been xubuntu-only since i got tired of playing tf2 (which i've since gotten running pretty nicely via wine). the only things i've missed from xp are the little bit of performance i lose on tf2 via wine, and foobar2k (the greatest media player EVER). foobar runs nicely under wine, but i just found gmusicbrowser, the only native audio player i've found that can match foobar...so i'm completely settled on linux.

now i'm messing with arch on my laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I completely switched to Ubuntu because i kept getting BSOD out of nowhere cause by the video card/drivers after running 3 years straight. I couldnt afford new hardware at the time so i moved totally on over to linux. I'm not having any problems now

Beans
    Distro

I have almost completely switched. About 3 years ago me and my cousin convinced my dad to dual boot the family desktop with xp and ubuntu and when xp got viruses and took hours of work he decided to get rid of it. Now my desktop and the family one run only ubuntu. even for my computers class we use linuxOS although i am forced to use windows in my other classes needing computers. I must say i do not miss windows at all

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I left Linux world around late 90s (forced to use that "FLAG" OS). But, 2 weeks ago I decide to give a try for Ubuntu people buzzing about. Fall in love with it. Now I can say, I use Ubuntu 90%. 10% for issues not yet I solve. I still amazed my self that I still not forget how to ls-ing directory (he... he...)

Page 451 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 351401441449450451452453461501551951 ... LastLast