Page 441 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 341391431439440441442443451491541941 ... LastLast
Results 4,401 to 4,410 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I use: Arch Linux and Xubuntu (for testing purposes only)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Smeags View Post
    I've read over quite a bit of this thread and there's one thing I read over and over again that rings very true to me..."I dual boot (XP/Vista)/Ubuntu. I would use Linux completely if only I wasn't addicted to my PC games."

I'd love to eventually not use a Windows OS (not that I'm not satisfied with them because I actually like Vista) but until PC gaming on Linux is as fluid as it is in Windows, I'll definitely be dual-booting at the least. I only play PC games...I've never been into consoles (give me a mouse and keyboard any day over a controller).

When new games come out that I'm super excited about, I don't want to wait until, through endless fiddling, it works on my OS. I want to play it right away with minimal hassle. For me, the games are more important than the OS.
    Well that's exactly why you should dual boot.
    Server: 2.2GHz Athlon 64; 4GB; 2TB; Debian 5 x64
    LividEmperor: 3.3GHz i5 2500K; 8GB; 660GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x64 + Windows 7 x64
    Netbook1: 1.6GHz Atom; 2GB; 160GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x86
    Dogeatdog: 3GHz Phenom II; 3GB; 1TB; Windows 7 x64

Beans

Like the OP, I too am a gamer at heart.
    However, I do not find my inner gamer to be deprived in linux. This may be because I play mostly old games (Doom + mods, Diablo, Quake, etc), Open source games (Nexuiz, Scorched 3D, etc) and Roms.

There are also some great new commercial games for Linux.
    For example, horror and point+click fans must check out the Penumbra series. (http://frictionalgames.com)

For the rpg fans, EVE online, and Neverwinter nights are both available for linux

And ID Tech5 will run on Linux, so we should be getting our share of next gen games too

And the lists will only keep growing as the linux user base grows
    Last edited by thoughtcriminal; January 23rd, 2009 at 06:16 PM.

Beans

Half way there!

I am new to linux and therefore have to learn everything first before I make a complete switch over to Linux but I have Ubuntu installed on my laptop.
    My desktop computers will have to wait until I have finished university. (because of the Word that I use) My desktops are currently dual-booting Win XP and Ubuntu and my other PC has Vista. My wife refuses to switch and will stick with her Win XP.

Beans

I don't view completely switching as 'using Linux only, and never anything else.'

Instead, I think if someone has installed Linux, and Linux alone, on a PC or laptop, they've switched completely.

I run only Ubuntu on my laptop, and use it for all my notes, programs, etc.

I also have a Windows XP box at home that I use for my photography, videos, and occasional gaming.

Additionally, I have an older PowerMac G5, which I haven't turned on in about a year, though I use(d) it for the same purpose as the XP box.

I've completely switched to Linux for my mobile needs. But I'm a power user, and enjoy computers; I'd never limit myself to any single OS.
    "Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Beans

I tired to use Linux since Dec 1993. Ubuntu Edgy made the difference and Linux became my main OS after that. I retired my last Windows installation the day after Hardy's release. The timing was only coincidental but the retirement was inevitable, XP refused to boot that day. By then, there were no games that I could play in Linux or were worth the MS problems. For a while I thought Spore was a deal breaker, but EA ****** that up, http://www.amazon.com/Spore-Pc/dp/B0...2740283&sr=8-1 , so I thankfully dodged that mess. Mostly I use emulators for my games, followed by Linux games, and Wine for a few for games. http://www.uvlist.net/search?ftag=!own_215 . I poke around with VirtualBox and ReactOS (and dozens of other OSes). Ever so often I consider adding XP to my VirtualBox machines, then I think about the MS problems I no longer have to deal with. I have setup VirtualBox and XP for a few people, they seem willing to put up with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lightbulb Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

heres an example of what a newbie to the whole computer world can do.... i was running xp at home with no net connection,so i was making music and downloading vst's on friends comps.... but lo and behold i got connected...only had something like 2000 viruses , well prob only 1 that got active,.i had bought one of those 3g modems from 3........when i connected it the comp came 2 life..all the trogans spyware viruses ..whatever all kicked in at the same time...jesus i thought waw what is happening? cant remember when i discovered ubuntu but will never use win again....am well happy with linux.....YEAH!!!
    using.... ACER ASPIRE ONE and ACER ASPIRE 5332
    running.... Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by neu2buntu View Post
    heres an example of what a newbie to the whole computer world can do.... i was running xp at home with no net connection,so i was making music and downloading vst's on friends comps.... but lo and behold i got connected...only had something like 2000 viruses , well prob only 1 that got active,.i had bought one of those 3g modems from 3........when i connected it the comp came 2 life..all the trogans spyware viruses ..whatever all kicked in at the same time...jesus i thought waw what is happening? cant remember when i discovered ubuntu but will never use win again....am well happy with linux.....YEAH!!!
    great story. sounds like some of my customers computers. a few of them now run ubuntu.

a woman i just did a job for told me that (when i first got there) she just surfed the net and played solitaire. THAT'S IT. she used firefox too, on windows. so i installed ubuntu and she's in heaven. you see, windows didn't work at all (it was amazingly broken). now it all just works. she's used to firefox, so the transition was easy.

just a story of another happy linux user.
    Last edited by wolfen69; January 24th, 2009 at 07:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ubuntu with the occasional boot in Virtualbox to use Dreamweaver/flash is perfect for me. I'm sure when 3D acceleration matures in VMs, all you gamers will be happy. Even though it isn't really removing Windows, that would really be a great start

Beans

I would if my installation would complete !?

Page 441 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 341391431439440441442443451491541941 ... LastLast