Page 418 of 976 FirstFirst ... 318368408416417418419420428468518918 ... LastLast
Results 4,171 to 4,180 of 9758

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I dual boot Windows XP and Ubuntu. I use Ubuntu for everything except gaming, which is the only reason why I keep Windows around.

Beans

I've been using linux since 98'

Started with debian, then mandrake, then redhat, RPMS suck. Then back to debian for servers and ubuntu for workstations.

I made the complete switch when I was finally able to play Steam games like HL2 and TF2 via wine.

I still use windows though virtualbox on my work laptop because my work requires some windows access.
    I've tried nothing and I'm all out of ideas!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thumbs down Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

i have really only had a computer for the last 3 to 4 years.i started off on windows xp .

i would mostly only use it for youtube social networking and messing with music apps,i started out using ubuntu 8.04 more or less on the first stable release and dual booted with vista.now i dont touch windows at all

now i have 8.10 installed on my laptop and acer aspire one netbook and am really happy with it.... i try to convert my friends to linux but they seem happy stuck in their windows environment ...aww well
    using.... ACER ASPIRE ONE and ACER ASPIRE 5332
    running.... Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Hidden!

Thumbs down Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Completely switched over to Linux as my primary OS at the end of May/beginning of June of this year. I'm a tech, so I'll likely never be rid of MS's stuff somewhere, but I don't think I've actually used Windows for myself for more than a few hours since I switched. (Functional wifi helps out bigtime.)

Couldn't be happier. I've turned into the biggest GNU/Linux evangelist at school, and received a bonus I didn't expect: the other techs' estimation of me has risen, visibly. (Xubuntu 8.10 i386 running on an 8gb jumpdrive makes a really, really useful tech tool, and impresses people to boot.)

Beans

I completely switched when I installed Intrepid (the day it came out).

I miss Flash and Photoshop bad, but windows just gives me too much crap.

I have a Vista disk, but it is only an upgrade disk, so I have to install XP first, but my XP disk is an upgrade disk, so I have to install 2000 first. And that used to work, but last time i tried to re-install, even 2000 found an excuse to refuse to install... simply amazing.

I love ubuntu, its refreshing to finally be in control of my own system.
    Last edited by koffeinöverdos; December 17th, 2008 at 09:02 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ranch hand View Post
    The alsa equalizer is not too bad. Shearch in synaptic for alsa.
    Thanks. I'll check it out. I'm hoping the Songbird guys will develop one for Songbird soon though. I like the Firefox-style add-ons approach.

As a replacement for Google Desktop's gadget sidebar I tried GDesklets, Screenlets, and Google Gadgets for Linux (which I just discovered yesterday). GGL doesn't seem fully developed yet. Screenlets and GGL didn't work well on my computer. I don't have a separate graphics card and can't make good use of Compiz, so that might be why they were acting up. I wasn't too impressed by GDesklets. GKrellM looks too computer-techie, focused mainly on system monitoring. And Conky is command-line-only, if I'm not mistaken. At this time, I'd really like a highly customizable, in appearance, size and function, gadget sidebar with a wide range of gadgets and a GUI. If anyone knows of one, please let me know.
    Last edited by gplauche; December 17th, 2008 at 11:13 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

i used to dual boot but for the last few months i am jus ubuntu.i have tryied opensuse but prefered ubuntu but will try fedora over xmas .
    Ubuntu User # 24092

Beans

Double post.

Beans

I've been using Ubuntu at home ever since the debut of Vista (which I guess will be 2 years in January). The only non-Linux machines I have in my house are my wife's Macs. Then I got into MythTV. Now I have 4 Linux boxes: 1 Ubuntu (my main desktop), 2 Mythbuntu (backend server, livingroom Mythtv frontend), and an eMac running Debian Etch (which is also used as a Mythtv frontend; I'm using Debian solely because it booted, supported the sound card, and is capable of displaying video on the 800mhz G4 w/256mb of ram). I'm currently researching a FreeNAS system (which is FreeBSD based, but close enough to Linux for this discussion). I plan to stick with this setup until Starcraft 2 comes out, at which time I will build a new gaming rig that will run either Windows Vista or Windows 7; but I WILL dual boot it with Ubuntu. If I can run Starcraft2 on a Mac when it comes out, I will then probably build a hacintosh, rather than a windows box (I'm not spending $3000 for a Mac Pro, and I'm not buying a non-upgradable iMac).

/my $.02

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I made the switch to Ubuntu almost 2 years ago. I have not missed Windows since. I dual boot in case I want to play a Windows only game but I find myself using Ubuntu about 99.95% of the time.

I find that Ubuntu does whatever I need and there is always a program to do what I want.
    Windows XP - Excellent computer virus detector.
    Windows Vista - Most bloat for the money.

Visit my Ubuntu Resource Website http://www.stchman.com

Page 418 of 976 FirstFirst ... 318368408416417418419420428468518918 ... LastLast