Page 414 of 970 FirstFirst ... 314364404412413414415416424464514914 ... LastLast
Results 4,131 to 4,140 of 9692

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thumbs down Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I'm interested in Linux Systems from more than 10 years...
    I'm starting using Ubuntu 2-3 year ago and in last half of the year the only Windows I use are the ones that runs under some virtualization technology.
    (I also love another Linux distro: Gentoo).

I need this to test and debug multi-platform software because the with current MONO Version (at moment of writing -> 2.0) is too complex debug applications (you need compile it from source, use GDB, ...) - It's more simple re-install a not too old LEGAL copy of Windows of your own under VirtualBox: than install a free version (Express Edition) of Visual Studio 2008 and you will be able to debug code written for MONO.

When MONO will support a robust debug inside MonoDevelop, than the Windows VM will become a just a test platform (at least for me).

Bye!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Talking Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I have completely eradicated XP and am 100% Ubuntu. I've used RedHat, Slackware, Mandrake, and SuSE in the past dual-booting. I needed to get a PCMCIA smart card reader working reliably in order to finally lose the MS - that was the only thing I booted into Windows for. Once I had done that I took the plunge, bought a new HD for the laptop and installed Ubuntu. Now I've installed my old HDD in an enclosure and have formatted it for movie storage.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Been a Linux Head for over 4 years now. No Windows OS or Microsoft apps insight.

Don't miss Windows at all. I can do everything with Linux as I could with Windows.

I toss my Windows out the window.

Windows was a Paine in the A%& anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I just started my Linux(Ubuntu) journey a month ago & try to use Ubuntu as much as possible. I do have XP, but it's used by other family members.Ubuntu is serving my purpose good, except that I am still to learn about wine to get those win only apps in linux.

Then I will be a total Linux guy !!!
    Gaurav Live : www.gauravlive.com

Keep Smiling, Rock On

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thinking very hard on just using ubuntu server 8.10. My server runs both have two hd one vista one ubuntu. I have to switch cables to do windows. (Grub messed up one time and I lost everything in vista. No MBR in vista). If I could figure a way to run office small business pro 2007 on ubuntu GOOOD BYYYEEE Windows......... I don't care for gimp, but photo shop is out of question with linux... So until some issues are fixed or a DEPENDABLE work around is found I'm stuck in both worlds.
    AMD Athlon 1.8, ASUS Motherboard A7N8X-E, Nvidia NX7600GS Video Card. 2 Gig DDR Ram,Seagate 100 Gig HD

Beans

I've been using Linux (Gentoo/Ubuntu) on all my machines for 2-3 years now. But I keep a copy of XP on my desktop machine for two reasons:
    1. The occasional game. Really not much of an issue nowadays.
    2. I like asian languages. I used to study Japanese and I know a few words of Chinese. But unfortunately 90% of all major asian websites require their users to use Internet Explorer. They just assume you use it and plaster their sites with IE-specific JavaScript and more evil things. Use anything else and you are locked out . Plus I have one or two asian Windows apps that require the use of asian locales - something which Wine doesn't really support, yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

me! I even use nxclient when I'm forced to use a windows computer. Sometimes I use windows for games, but hey thats just like playing video games on a nintendo box or something ^^

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by migge View Post
    But unfortunately 90% of all major asian websites require their users to use Internet Explorer. They just assume you use it and plaster their sites with IE-specific JavaScript and more evil things. Use anything else and you are locked out
    try ie4linux(google it) on that one. It only support 6.0 or 5.x but my guess is that the sites don't support 7x very well anyways

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

4+ years on Linux, most of that on Ubuntu. Having made the transition to dual booting before 'going all the way', I have to say I wish I had just dived in, no dipping of the toe first.

Of course I was timid at the time, which is a symptom of the Windows disease; Windows disempowers its users, makes them feel unwelcome within the intricacies of their own operating system. Indeed, it denies you even the role of owner, creating a situation in which it begrudgingly tolerates your use of it, even as it seemingly entices hackers into the back door like a nymphomaniac.

And it makes you feel guilty about everything you do with it. Proprietary this, and rights-managed that. And heaven forbid if I had to reinstall (which I did need to do a number of times)--I felt like I had to go to confession afterward.

Once dependent and restricted, now free and unencumbered, I don't know why I ever hesitated.

Beans

ubuntwinkel
    Too bad you never had the "Vista experience". Not only can you be guilty of everything but they then tell you how much you are enjoying it.

This was one of the reasons I did not hesitate getting rid of it on our new computer past the need for Vista to maintain an internet connection and time enough to transfer a few files.

Page 414 of 970 FirstFirst ... 314364404412413414415416424464514914 ... LastLast