Page 412 of 982 FirstFirst ... 312362402410411412413414422462512912 ... LastLast
Results 4,111 to 4,120 of 9814

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

We bought a new computer in July. Dell XPS420 - quad core 6600 2.40GHz - 3G ram - 320Gb - HDD - Vista Home Premium.

We had been using a custom built computer from 1998 with Win98 on it. It was great and state of the art when new. 350MHZ - 10Gb HDD - 128 Mb ram.

The new computer ought to be a lot faster. Not so. We use dial up and the sucker was about half the speed of the old one. To be fair there were web sites we could not deal with on the old one and the new one handled them as long as you could stand waiting on it.

The authorizations were silly. It logged every thing and sent it off to MS automatically.
    Took all day to turn that crap off. We kept at it for 6 weeks and then even my wife was ready to try something different.

Got another 320G HDD. Installed Hardy on it after unplugging the Vista HDD. Had some problems getting the USR5610 internal modem configured. Had replaced the winmodem in hopes of speeding up Vista. Got the modem working. Got the HP printer working.

Broke Hardy several time in youthful high spirits. Dual booted Hardy/Hardy. Now I can use the box and play on the other install and maybe learn this OS.

Transfered some files by switching the HDDs and burning CDs. Got a sata HDD external enclosure. Put the Vista HDD in it. Transfered the other files we needed.

Tried to boot Vista from the USB. WOW. The warnings were impressive. Got the option of booting normally anyway or hitting some gimmic to fix the problems. Win gimmic didn't work. Boot normally didn't work. No option for Safe Mode, of course no option for DOS.

Reformatted Vista HDD. Two partitions, one for backup of each Hardy install.

I don't do games. I don't do windows. I am very happy.

Beans

I am still new to ubuntu, but chaging my pc's slowly to ubuntu because I got fed up of all the viruses and spyware and malware on windows xp.The only problem is that you do not find a lot of drivers for your peripherals, and since I am a newbie to ubuntu, I am still trying to learn the command line to make certain settings to my installation. The good thing about ubuntu is that it never crashes my pc. Very stable os.

Beans

i have been completely using linux for the past 2 years. love it. ubuntu on my main pc. xubuntu on my eeepc. i have a dual boot with vista just as a last resort if needed for buisness. however i haven't booted it in months. and then i didnt stay long. vista is so bloated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Around 4 years ago i owned my first computer which came with xp. Been trying out linux since last through vmware. Around a month ago I moved over to linux and no turning back. I love linux(ubuntu) thus far.

Beans

Been using linux exclusively for a year and a half and never looked back

I've tried dozens of distros, but kept returning to Ubuntu

"Ubuntu Just Works"

Linux is a tinkerer's dream

Proprietary, closed OS's wont ever get my attention again

Go Stallman!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I built my machine from the ground up to run Vista (actual meaning view. MS meaning look out!) and was running 2000 pro on it for over a year with only minor problems. Went to Vista because my internet provider supplies my anti-virus and was no longer going to support 2000. Installed Vista told it clean install, it backed up everything anyway. put it on a 40 gig HDD stored nothing on the Vista drive but three months later it had filled the drive with its constant updates! It would randomly destroy files then overwrite them with parts of its self even on the second hard drive. I'm an aspiring writer and it even erased my cd back-up of research and writing. I started researching other operating systems and Ubuntu was highly recommended by someone I trust. Two installs later (I messed up the first one.) and I have been running it for five months. It is the only OS on the main machine and my wife is now thinking about having me remove Vista from her laptop.

Ubuntu is what people say it just works and I never plan to go back to a Microsoft product again.
    T&H

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

its unfortunate that windows has so many dealings with governments across the world, otherwise profit motives would make them a better company. monopolies are never good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i wish i could, currently this is my first PC that is running linux that i own my self of courese being 16 doesn't help that fact, since my parent don't undeerstand Linux at all, i'm getting off subject..... anywho i'm running all my personal gear off linux, but have yet to get my whole house over...... yet

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

i'd like to erase my windows but I need it for school. I've reduced the partition size to 10 gb/110 if that counts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I've been forced to remove linux from my laptop for good. I didn't get 1xx posts by responding to threads like this. There is zero support for my VIA screen or my atheros wifi but this is fine. It runs great on my desktop and file server... I will be looking into getting a new laptop in the future and maybe having this as an app server... we will see.

However any software I use on here is all opensource stuff I've found through linux.

Page 412 of 982 FirstFirst ... 312362402410411412413414422462512912 ... LastLast