Page 407 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 307357397405406407408409417457507907 ... LastLast
Results 4,061 to 4,070 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I have switched. I am not much of a gamer accept for ET and that has a linux native.

Note: you can tell by my sig below

Beans

I am completely on Linux. My main reason was cost. I can't afford lots fo expensive programs just to do productivity work. Next, I really like the open source thing. Finally, Linux is just so damn great. Not everything works, not everything looks great. BUT, I feel part of a community who gives input, who programs, who supports each other.
    Of course, I have not owned a TV in 4 years, so when I want to watch The Unit, I use my wife's windows laptop becasue CBS.com does not like Linux users
    Oh...and DVD playback is near perfect.
    One more thing: I play one game: EVE. It runs near perfect under WINE.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

me? I switched completely to Linux and that is something I am proud of!!!!

why did I switch? well, I was concerned about freedom and I was really bored of windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by darksideforge View Post
    While I downloaded some of my more rare musical recordings, I lost probably around 10 or 15GB of music....I'm sure it's out there floating around on my HDD somewhere in never-never-land and one of these days I'll figure out how to go look for it (got any suggestions?), but I've been 100% ubuntu for about 4 days now and I've NEVER been happier with a computer!

At least I can provide a first step what to do with that HDD: Don't use it until you found out how to get your data back. Everytime something is written to it, there is a chance that it will overwrite some of your lost data.

I am not sure how to get it back. When I had Window a long time ago, I found a couple of free programs that could do the trick with a little luck. It seems to be harder to find this kind of programs for Linux though. I did a quick search and found this NON-free software. Maybe a deeper search will get better results.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

When I got my Ubuntu CD working, and saw what it could do I started an attempt to switch everything over (except the server, which unfortunately is running XP after changing back and forth from linux to XP over and over again). I am close with my main computer running Linux, my older computer running Linux, my Vista desktop getting ready to switch possibly, and my server, well, i don't know what to do with that one. The wireless doesn't work with Ubuntu, at least not yet. Either way, switching to Ubuntu has been one of the best things I did for my computer.
    Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.
    -Albert Einstein

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hello, brand new to Ubuntu since last week. I have switched over as much as physically possible (meaning Windows at work only) and I'm loving it. If only our work sysadmin saw how easy this was. I am thinking of bringing in my laptop for show and tell. XD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Oh, I still have Windows Vista for the sake of my Mother. She uses Microsoft Office ( and refuses to use open office... ) for her school papers. Luckily, she'll be graduating with her doctorates in two weeks, and won't need my laptop anymore, so I can finally boot Ubuntu on a full partition.

honestly, I don't know why she doesn't buy herself her own laptop, she made $90,000 by herself last year, and my Stepfather made $110,000...

-_-;
    > Intel® Pentium® Dual Core T3200 2.0GHz | Running Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex
    > Currently learning the ins and outs of Ubuntu Server
    > The difference between Windows and a virus? Viruses rarely fail...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Mason Whitaker View Post
    Oh, I still have Windows Vista for the sake of my Mother. She uses Microsoft Office ( and refuses to use open office... ) for her school papers. Luckily, she'll be graduating with her doctorates in two weeks, and won't need my laptop anymore, so I can finally boot Ubuntu on a full partition.

honestly, I don't know why she doesn't buy herself her own laptop, she made $90,000 by herself last year, and my Stepfather made $110,000...

-_-;

Beans

I've been using on and off since the late 90's and have seen my usage of ******* shrink by about 10% per year.

First it was RedHat which was nice. I tried Suse and didn't like it. Mandrake was interesting but not very polished. And Debian a little intense sometimes.

I've been using Ubuntu since Hoary 5.04 and must say that it's come a long way.

Currently, 90% of my computing needs are served by Linux, including CAD Design, HTML Design, Web Development and some Electronics Development.

That last 10% of my computing needs falls into the realm of XP and Vista. I don't game very much, but I do have a Vista Home Premium HDD I swap out on my laptop for a few retail games (Spore, Crysis Warhead, Fall Out 3 and a couple others). I also bought one of those little Acer One Ultra Mobile Notebooks with XP Home pre-installed. It seems that the on-line student services at my University hate Linux and lock me out of my Student Account if every 4-5 minutes (weird). So, I use that little XP Notebook exclusively for the few on-line chores I have to perform for my University courses.

As for my machines...

Asus C90S laptop with E6400 CPU, 3GB RAM, 8600GT 512MB GPU, swappable 200GB SATA HDDs (my main machine with one HDD for Ubuntu 8.04.1 and one HDD for Vista Home Premium).

MSI K8N Neo2Platinum Mobo, 3800+ CPU, 7800GS AGP video, Ubuntu Server 8.04 (for testing of Web pages).

Asus A8N32SLI Deluxe Mobo, 4400+ CPU, XFX 8800GT video in SLI, Ubuntu 8.04 (for desktop work, CAD, and development).

In progress... Asus Striker Extreme Mobo, Asus EN8800GTX video (2 for SLI and 1 for Physics), Q6600 CPU, 8GB Corsair 8500 DDR2 RAM (which will become my exclusive Vista Home Premium Gaming Machine once I get around to buying another copy of Vista).

Honestly though, I would convert to Linux 100% if installing some games in Wine wasn't such a nightmare. And for those few exclusive Windows Apps too.

But on another note, I also use my mothers brand new iMac quite a bit and am very comfortable in OSX. I also work part time repairing computers. More than half the work I do revolves around virus/spyware removal in Windows. Some of the rest involves playing around with registry tweaks, special drivers and shutting down non-essential services in Windows to bring some speed back to the OS.

Everyone of my Ubuntu installs are running at the same speed as the day I installed them, even after months of use and untold numbers of packages installed.

My father even uses Linux on his little Asus Eee PC. It's simple and it works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

well i stopped using windows XP from 5 months,god that infinite restarts u need to do in windows,i hate it to core,those viruses and stuff!!!!!!!!cheers to ubuntu

Page 407 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 307357397405406407408409417457507907 ... LastLast