Page 405 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 305355395403404405406407415455505905 ... LastLast
Results 4,041 to 4,050 of 10014

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Wink Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

3 down and 1 to go.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by hariks0 View Post
    I am having Wxp as my primary OS and Ubuntu in my PC. The things that holds me back from being a complete Ubuntu user are :-

1.MP3 support
    2.Support of Bluetooth modem [Mobile Phone]
    3.MS outlook supports mobile sync of calendar and contacts.

If the above are rectified I would change to Ubuntu completely.
    1. So why don't you install the mp3 support in Ubuntu?
    2. There is Bluetooth support for Ubuntu, however I don't have any bluetooth thingies myself so I can't tell how well it works.
    3. Doesn't Evolution do that? I've also heard that there are a few mobile sync applications for Linux out there, but again, I don't have anything to test with, so I don't know if it works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think all your problems has its own equivalent in UBUNTU...
    1. I my self was able to rip music in ubuntu and convert it to MP3.
    2. You go to System>Preferences>Bluetooth... meaning there is a Bluetooth support in ubuntu,
    3 Mail client, you have several choices, you can use Evolution or Thunderbird. I think there are several more, you just need to research and learn ubuntu.

I think almost 95-98% of whatever windows can do, is also possible in UBUNTU. But definitely, not all UBUNTU things can be done by windows.

I've been using UBUNTU for a month now, and I am really enjoying this a lot. And I have everything I need in here including the things that you mentioned.

God bless.
    Need BloggerVince's Expertise???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I got rid of windows like a month ago, before that i had it installed but hadn't use it in many months. Being in front of a windows computer just doesnt feel right. Loving Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

As of two days ago, my laptop is 100% Linux. I was triple booting Ubuntu, Windows XP and OSX, mainly just because I could do it. But I rarely use Windows for anything except Windows live Messenger (video and sound support) or playing games, but my laptop isn't exactly a gaming laptop and even when I do play, I usually find myself on Urban Terror which runs better for me on Linux than my other os'es.
    I had the same setup on my Desktop PC, but after weeks of my wife nagging me I have switched it back to running only windows, because the things she uses it for really only run on Windows, like Kodak Easyshare (that one runs on OSX, but I had a lot of compatibility issues with OSX on my PC...), Windows Live Messenger, and no matter what I do I can't convince her to shy away from using Microsoft Office even though OpenOffice.Org is every bit as good. She is one of those people who simply believes that a product that is offered free of charge must inherently be vastly inferior to a program that you pay for. I suppose I'll never convince her otherwise.

I will be the first one to say this -- that for the average computer user (eg; my wife) -- Linux is not quite ready for the average desktop. It's still got a year or two before we start seeing computers on store shelves with Ubuntu preloaded. But by that same token, Linux has grown by leaps and bounds recently. The Linux interface is becoming less dependent on terminal commands and more integration of the GUI is being seen which is good because that is the number one thing that will make Linux a viable option for the average user.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I've had a computer with only Linux for years now. I started with Fedora Core 2, I believe. I had a lot of problems with RPM back then... I think I had dual boot for about a year, but I used Windows less and less and eventually just deleted it.

I went to Gentoo for quite a while, and it was good for me. I liked Arch as well. Ubuntu was a bit slow since I ran the same old computer (1.7ghz 512mb Radeon9200) for quite some time, but I recently built a completely new system (2.5ghzDC 2gb nv9800gtUlt.) and have Ubuntu again. I still haven't had a Windows partition in ages, although I use Wine (games) and now VirtualBox (Visual Studio for class ). Lately I have considered creating a dual boot so I can play Fallout 3, though.

There isn't anything that Linux can't do; quite opposite of what many people think. In comparison, Windows has far fewer capabilities, requires far more maintenance, has lower usability (the window manager has very few features) and productivity (takes many more steps to perform an action). Linux is far easier to use than Windows once you are used to it, and I'll never go back in a million years.

Beans

I have four computers in my house, and all four run Ubuntu! Two have nothing but Ubuntu installed -- both Hardy. One has Intrepid and Vista in dual boot, with Intrepid the default. Vista is still there only because the computer is brand-new and Dell will not honor the warranty if the original operating system is not installed. The fourth has Hardy, Vista and XP in triple-boot, with Hardy as default. The windows partitions are only there until I become comfortable with the reliability of wine and VirtualBox. Linux rules!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by jyaan View Post
    There isn't anything that Linux can't do; quite opposite of what many people think. In comparison, Windows has far fewer capabilities, requires far more maintenance, has lower usability (the window manager has very few features) and productivity (takes many more steps to perform an action). Linux is far easier to use than Windows once you are used to it, and I'll never go back in a million years.
    I have to agree.

Although i haven't used Windows in ages, after a month of Ubuntu i logged in OSX today just for a second and the response time seemed quite slow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

As of September,
    I changed 3 desktops from windows xp pro, and 1 laptop from vista.
    all now are running Ubuntu and they are

crashes are next to nil now; other than operator crashes by playing where I shouldn't be playing.

Beans

I am presently on xp, but I had been on ubuntu 90% of the time I used a computer in the last three years. Now the only problem is the tv tuner card. It just doesnt work with linux. [I havent tried the .27 kernel. ]

Page 405 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 305355395403404405406407415455505905 ... LastLast