Page 399 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 299349389397398399400401409449499899 ... LastLast
Results 3,981 to 3,990 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I keep xp on my desktop for gaming but yesterday I made the jump and deleted xp off my laptop for a full install of ubuntu. still have a lot of learning to do but for what I use my laptop for, I haven't had any problems yet (and got my middle button trackpoint to scroll so I was happy about that )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I use Ubuntu since 3 years now, but I still got a XP on my maschine because of music creation. I could maybe use Linux-Programs for it, but most usb-audio devices are not running and vst-plugins are not working too.

But this is the one and only thing I need it for, and it sucks, that Hardware Producers and Software Companies still ignore Linux! I hate wasting so much disk-space and boot time just because of one application.

I think most gamers would say the same---

I love linux, espacially ubuntu because it gives you so much control about the things going on on your computer. I cannot imagine a life without a console.
    - What? I cannot rename all of these files in this folder at once in Windows?

Like that, you know what I mean....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I still need the windows xp partition to print documents (my printer doesn't have ubuntu drivers) and for Visual Studio C++.
    Engineering addict

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Well lets see here, i have been working in a total Linux environment since about 2006, I started using Linux in about 2002 when I was in the Marine Corps as some of our systems were Red Hat based. I always thought it was a interesting OS with its speed, stability, and what not. so in my off time in the Marines I would install several Linux Distributions on my machine and messing with them just to learn more about it. I used just about every distribution I could get my hands on and realized that they were all unique in there own way. Whether it was a Debian based OS, or a RPM, or even source like Slackware, or Gentoo. I was fascinated with Linux and what it could do. In about 2006 I decided to make the full migration to Linux, after a completely failed and disapointed experience with Vista, and having no desire to switch back to XP. So I installed Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake LTS, ever since I have kept Ubuntu as my primary OS. However I have kept up and tested, played, and blogged about all the other distributions out there since. I do have to say though I am looking more and more towards Fedora, as the progress with there Development, and Innovation as well
    USMC 2001-2003

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by fredscripts View Post
    I still need the windows xp partition to print documents (my printer doesn't have ubuntu drivers) and for Visual Studio C++.
    Drivers in Linux are in the kernel either compiled in or loaded as a module. You can probably find a module in one of the repositories.

Give Synaptic a thorough search.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I still have Vista in case I mess something up in Ubuntu and need to get online for a fix. I didn't have a computer for a while though and now that I've got one again I don't use vista very much, I'm still looking for an alternative to dvd shrink that actually works and copies the dvd to an iso.

Beans

If I could get my co-workers off of their addiction to exchange, and Office, I would never have to run WinXP, except for the ocassional hardware based reason... I have lots of hardware that requires a ******* box for configuration, or to run a support application. And my cellular network's Internet access is only available under windows... But at home my main workstation is Ubuntu, and all of my servers are Ubuntu. I have one XP machine that I only turn on for a few minutes each week, and my laptop runs XP so I can do email and cellular Internet... Everything else I do on the laptop would be happier on linux.

I have dozens of applications that require XP, but I don't run them but ocassionally, so at home windows stays off for the most part.

My girlfriend is an accountant, and has an addiction to Excel... I have tried to get her to build spreadsheets in oo, but she hates oo.... mainly because she uses all of the subtle excel features, like macros, and linking to spreadsheets of co-workers, etc...

At my office, I have 200 unix machines to administer, but all of the desktops are XP, except for a couple users running osX. Strangely enough, the osX users are the biggest pain because they don't know how to do anything... Well, some of them anyway... three of the osX users are developers that never need my help... But when a sales guy runs osX, it's bad news all the way around. There is an attitude that goes with many osX users. The worst user of all is the one Vista user. He INSISTS that I make vista work, but from 1000 miles away and without following my set-up recomendations... So I install Ubuntu every where I can... but you can only do so much when corporate america runs on windows...

Before Linux was FreeBSD, before FreeBSD was BSDi, before that was AIX...and I hate to talk about what came before that... mostly crap.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Wow sounds like your job is a living hell. I was student worker in college and I ended up doing all the tech support stuff for windows, they didn't understand that you can't fix windows because it has a strange ability to break itself again.

Beans

I've used Linux off and on over the past years (Fedora, SuSE, now Ubuntu), however it's never been more than a month installed.
    Main reason due to Dual Boot (absolutely HATE dual booting anything) and if I ran Linux in a VM it would lag to much.
    I never had a dedicated box.
    I also never really had the time to learn a whole new, completely different O/S due to school/work.

Now that I just work and have no friends *sigh*, I can sit down for a couple hours at a time to a dedicated Linux box and really get into it (just installed Ubuntu a few weeks ago, haven't used Linux for...well over a year now?).

Will I 100% convert to Linux?

No.

I am a Network Admin and I want the knowledge of both Windows and Linux.

Beans

For making music still XP and OSX.

For everything else: Linux!

Page 399 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 299349389397398399400401409449499899 ... LastLast