Page 392 of 982 FirstFirst ... 292342382390391392393394402442492892 ... LastLast
Results 3,911 to 3,920 of 9814

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I was using windows xp for the last 12.6 years but now due to many good reasons, i am totally switched to Ubuntu. It is really good and of course bug free (as i noticed till now).

Ubuntu is really very beautiful and working on it is glamorous. What else i can say.... Just try and have it in you by yourselves...

Bye

Beans

Switched? i have never been any other OS, Linux is all i've ever known

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by leafdog View Post
    Switched? i have never been any other OS, Linux is all i've ever known
    If only we could all be so lucky...
    By the people, for the people.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm not a programmer or anything of the like. My history is this. Started with 98SE, but had to reboot when done with real games. Went to 2K and it would do video, (especially video greater than 4GB), and had much fewer problems, until recently. Had xp on a rental from duh-Dell. Ran it in 2K mode becasue it was a PITA to locate things. 6 months ago installed Hardy and it worked well on the old machine, but the Mobo is crapping out. Put it on an AMD64 machine and I have the random locks, shutdowns and reboot plauge! Installed 7.10 and all seems well, but there appears to be some things that aren't there. I'm still trying to figure out what all there is/isn't.

I also tried Mandriva 2009 and Debian Etch live. both the latest stable versions, but neither will load properly. Since I'm not a CLI guy, (Yet. I'll learn when I get the extra time sometime next year!), I don't have time to muddle around trying to figure stuff out, I'll play with 7.10 until 8.10 comes out. Hopefully that will work and be idiot friendly! I like the potential that Ubuntu has. If it could do video editing and real games, then I'ld be willing to dump 2K. But until then...
    "WAR IS A RACKET, I spent most of my time being a high-class muscle-man for Big Business,for Wall Street, and for the Bankers." -- Major-General Smedley Darlington Butler USMC Ret. 2 time Medal of Honor winner.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thumbs down Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by etdsbastar View Post
    I was using windows xp for the last 12.6 years ...
    Cool, Windows XP was released on 25 October 2001 -- so you had a copy five years before its official release
    Where Liberty dwells, there is my country -- Benjamin Franklin

Beans

I have.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'm all Linux, have been for years now, the last Windows I was using was 98...

Haven't missed it at all. I am worried a bit though, having no knowlegde of how to use the current Windows, because I may be starting a job that requires a 'high comfort level with computers' which most likely involves using windows.
    Shouldn't be that hard to learn though, right?
    I mean I've played around installing and teaching myself how to use several different linuxes, so hopefully that will help me get the hang of it fast.....

Beans

Over 1 year and counting.

The only way I will touch windows is through rdesktop. I have an old HDD or two that has some version of windows on it but they haven't had cables connected to them in a long time now.

I hardly notice I'm running Ubuntu. I just see the regular applications I use I guess. I'll play the occasional windows game in Wine. It works.

In general GNU/Linux is just a superior way of doing things. The repositories just rock. All the free software stored on your ISP. It just works, installs and is so convenient. Software installation used to be the pitfall of linux, now it is the strength. Having a decent command line is also something I appreciate. Having things run fast? Priceless. Even with compiz my budget computer is flying.

I can't think why I'd want to go back to windows. That creepy feeling like I'm being watched - no thanks. Spyware, malware, constant reinstallation. I like to restrict full reinstalls to once every 3 years with an LTS release, instead of every 6 months. Searching for serials or paying - again, no thanks. Having to find a CD Key to reinstall - no thanks. Not being able to just ls > directory_list.txt to print a directory? No thanks.

Would windows have any advantages? Maybe a game would run with no issues I suppose. Big deal. I'm old enough where games aren't my life, I have responsibilities. Besides, half the fun is tricking a windows game to run under Wine.

Some things would just work, but after a bit of effort I've got them working under linux. And you only have to get them working once. After that it's easy.

I get the feeling that in a hundred years, probably even a thousand, people will still be running a derivative of linux or BSD. Unix and its software ecosystem just keeps getting better and better, and things that are fixed stay solved. It has a community that loves it for what it is. It reminds me of the AK-47 in the way it has been copied and improved in little bits throughout the years, is cheap, effective, a basically good design.

I'm not so sure about Windows.

I can imagine that in another 10 years you will be able to buy a computer as functional as a middle-end PC of today for about $100 or so. It will do all you want of it for 10 years or so. There is no margin in that device for Microsoft. As a result, Microsoft's margins will dwindle, and with that their power to advertise, to influence OEMs and governments, etc. will wane. At the same time, in the absence of MS influence those same entities will naturally want to embrace FOSS because it is good, it is cheap, it is open and it is something they can control.

Once that control is lost it will never be regained.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

my computer has only kubuntu but i keep windows on vbox for games like cs and certain specific programs that i need for my math or something
    other than that, i pretty much do everything on kubuntu
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I switched about a year ago when Ubuntu 7.10 came out. Now I use Windows once in a blue moon for music and gaming purposes only.
    Last edited by sheto; October 21st, 2008 at 10:55 AM.

Page 392 of 982 FirstFirst ... 292342382390391392393394402442492892 ... LastLast