Page 354 of 971 FirstFirst ... 254304344352353354355356364404454854 ... LastLast
Results 3,531 to 3,540 of 9708

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I had been using Slackware for years, from about 96-2004. I had simply grown tired of editing config files by hand and all the work of keeping a slackware box up to date. I just had other things going on in my life and really hadn't ever known any other Linux. So I switched to XP.

About a year into using XP I was introduced to Ubuntu. It was probably the easiest OS install I've ever experienced. I switched over completely(I just don't like dual booting, perhaps if I was really into gaming I would). In the past 2-3 years of using Ubuntu I've had far less problems with my machines than I did in the 1 year I ran XP.

I think my years of using Slackware really paid off though. With Ubuntu I can just install it and let it go. If I want to get my hands dirty and play with the OS, I have that option too. I like compiling kernels and tweaking performance etc. With Ubuntu I don't have to, but can if I want to.

For me, Ubuntu is nearly the perfect OS.

Beans
    Hidden!

I have used Ubuntu exclusively for over 3 years on our main home computer. We have XP on an older Dell and I'm here to tell you Windows just doesn't rate. Every few months on the xp machine I have to spend a minimum 5 hours of downtime defragging, running registry tools, getting rid of spyware/viruses and other associated bloatware. I got to the point that if I run norton speed disk at 8pm, forget about using that computer again that night. All so that windows approaches the speed and reliability of the Ubuntu box.

To maintain Ubuntu, I just run the updates every week or so (about 15minutes), thats it, thats all. I shut down the system at night and when I turn it on the next day, it boots as fast and runs as fast as the first day I installed.

If I could get rid of xp, believe me I would, but my wife is a teacher, and her report card software only runs on windows. <sigh>

Count me as a true Ubuntu fan.

Beans
    Hidden!

At home, we have 2 desktop computers:
    One running Ubuntu Hardy
    One Dell running XP

Though the Dell is older than the Ubuntu box, it has alays been much slower. Every month to 2 months with the Dell XP setup, I have to defrag, use registry tools, get rid of spyware/viruses (despite a router hardware firewall and 24/7 virus protection) and get rid of temp and bloatware which consumes a horrible amount of disk space.

With Ubuntu, in the 3 years I have had that box, the worst thing that has happenned to me is I had to do a clean Hardy install when something broke with the last upgrade. Because I put /home on a separate partition, NO data loss. Just beautiful. No defragging, no spyware, no viruses. When I turn on the machine it boots as fast as the first time I installed and runs as fast as the first time too.

My wife needs XP because she is a teacher, and when she does her report cards, the software only runs on windows. My kids and I often fight over who uses the ubuntu box.

But even on the XP box, we use Open Office and Firefox exclusively. It's not that I hate Microsoft, it's just that the open source options are often much better.

Count me as a longtime Ubuntu and Gnome fan.
    Last edited by labonaj; August 3rd, 2008 at 12:53 AM. Reason: correct error

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In my home there are 5 working computers - my wife has XP, my son has XP and I have 2 machines running Ubuntu - one is a laptop and the other is a file-server running hardy, sharing all for our family. I also have a 3rd - a desktop running Xp but I rarely turn it on. Only if my wife requires some assistance with her projects ... ie Photoshop or MS Office stuff.

I made the switch to Ubuntu with Dapper on a dual boot config a few years ago. With Fiesty I felt confident enough in my abilities (ie CLI ... ) to go solely with Ubuntu. When Gutsy came around I added the file server and then bought a laptop and wiped the hdd clean and installed Ubuntu.

Ubuntu/Linux is great - a great learning experience. I attribute much of that positive experience to THIS forum. Without the help of the many, many folks using Ubuntu Forums I would have caved to the 'click and go' mentality of windows and returned to complacent peace of that Big Boring OS. Ubuntu/Linux has been an incredible learning/social experience for me and I owe much to the Ubuntu Forums community for all it has given me.

My daughter is 3 and I have already introduced her to Linux. She loves Tux Racer and has fun typing with Open Office Writer.

I have one small issue though ... GIMP. My experience with Photoshop has made me somewhat hesitant to fully embrace it. GIMPshop has eased the transition but WINE has afforded me the luxury of enjoying the comforts of Photoshop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by fballem View Post
    Curious about the UML editors and diagramming software that you're using - that's one of my biggest 'misses' from Windows. I used Enterprise Architect for a number of years and haven't found anything suitable yet.
    fballem,

I tested using Dia for UML and diagramming... Not as snazzy as some other offerings but still can get the work done (creating Object Models).

- Nick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have two dual boot PCs. Desktop is XP/Hardy and a new laptop with Vista/Hardy.

Been using linux a little over a year. Started with Fedora then switched to Fiesty when Dell started selling PCs with Ubuntu preloaded.

Lately I'm on linux 95% of the time. I really don't need Windows anymore and really like the upgrades Ubnutu has made in Gutsy and now Hardy. Usually I just go into Winddows to update the OS & AV then switch back to linux.
    Ubuntu is a very nice OS and I'm glad I decided to try it out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Wink Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by Xilon View Post
    I'm using Ubuntu 90% of my time for a couple of days now. I still need a good replacement for uTorrent, Adobe Photoshop, Konnekt, foobar2000 (Listen is pretty nice though) and a few others that I havn't actually searched for yet (Notepad++). When uTorrent and Konnekt (will never happen) get ported, I will definitely switch 100% and maybe try using GIMP (I hate the GUI )

Am installing Apache, PHP, Mysql atm so I can hopefully continue developing my websites on Linux, I have noticed a few problems with fonts and font sizes in terms of the CSS
    Well, for µtorrent, you can use: Vuze, Transmission or Ktorrent. These three offers a good options for P2P, of course, Vuze have many options of configuration (is Azureus).

Photoshop is #1, but gimp offers good choise for alternative image editor, and you can search gimp tutorials over Internet.

I use XP in my 3rd. computer only for: GoldWave, Zune & Dreamweaver. Only these programs no have a good option in the ubuntu world: Audacity is a trash, amarok & banshee can't manage my Zune device (my next purchase will be an ipod) & Dreamweaver don't have competition to manage DB.

Edit.- So, in my other 2 computers (my main armed PC & Libretto laptop), I use Ubuntu 8.04 & KDE 4.1. My sister have: XP in her Gateway PC and Vista in her Toshiba laptop. Friends & people near to me still using 98, XP and Vista in their computers.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Club17; August 3rd, 2008 at 06:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

completely switched but thinking to use windows again

I have completely switched to Ubuntu Linux for almost 2 years. I even lost my (pirated) windows installation CD.

But now that i have a Garmin Etrex Vista HCx for my work, i'm thinking to buy windows XP, maybe a "starter edition". I need to transfer map to my GPS and the only software provided by Garmin and is only for Ms windows. I tried wine, but it failed to detect the GPS connected via USB.

Wish somebody have a way to help me avoid that nasty fate...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: completely switched but thinking to use windows again

Quote Originally Posted by guhpraset View Post
    But now that i have a Garmin Etrex Vista HCx for my work, i'm thinking to buy windows XP, maybe a "starter edition". I need to transfer map to my GPS and the only software provided by Garmin and is only for Ms windows. I tried wine, but it failed to detect the GPS connected via USB.

Wish somebody have a way to help me avoid that nasty fate...
    send am email to Garmin and request support for linux. better yet start a new thread and do exactly that. im sure many people here will do it
    Ubuntu user # 16304 www.nocleanfeed.com
    If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything, don't do it, and don't run any command with rm in it unless you know exactly what you're doing.things i have learnt changing from Xp pro to Ubuntu

Beans

I have been using Ubuntu exclusively now for 3 years on both my home machine and laptop.

On the odd occasion I need a windows box, the other half has an XP laptop. However, just trying to wean her of that. Bought her a Asus EEEPc with Xandros linux aboard. She loves it.

There are a couple of things I would still like to see in Linux -

- A good swf/flash IDE for doing animations for websites.
    - support for Logmein Servers so that I can remotely access my machines easily while away from base.. (Apparently they are going to work on this)
    - a good migration pack for Microsoft Access databases.

However, I am 100% ubuntu and will not revert. I do web design with it etc etc.

Page 354 of 971 FirstFirst ... 254304344352353354355356364404454854 ... LastLast