Page 18 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118518 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by miho
    I want to play Counter-Strike on Ubuntu but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to find an installer for Linux.
    Oh yeah, I haven't used Windows since November.
    Use cedega.

Look on the forums for it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Niomi
    I've been using Ubuntu off and on for about a week now.. I'm pretty pleased so far!

Unfortunatly no matter how much I like Ubuntu, I have to keep Windows around for The Sims and my schooling-- I go to school online and the software supports nothing but Windows! I'd like to convince my parents that graduating 8th grade isn't as important as being a Linux purist, but my arguments just haven't stuck.

there's a guy posted in the Wine Application Database that he's successfully got The Sims 1 working with WINE which is rather amusing considering that The Sims was available as a "Linux version" which required WINE to run it, but the normal ms-windows version didn't work with WINE...

http://appdb.winehq.org/

stick sims into the search window, and then click on the 1.0 that appears in the version window after clicking on the entry for the original sims...
    raising the standard wherever required

Registered Linux User 273897

Beans

my dad kicked me down a toshiba tecra. it had win2000 on it, and he didn't know the password. i decided the best thing to do was wipe it clean and start with some sort of GNU/Linux system. at first i thought about Redhat, but i settled on Debian, and then i bought a magazine with the Ubuntu CD, and i read that it was based on Debian. i am installing it now, and so far it seems to be going well. i am pretty excited to try it out for a spin once it is all said and done.
    word.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Just made the switch yesterday (7/2/05), and finally nuked my XP partition. Managed to get Halflife 2 working through Cedage - which was a sinch - and nzbget (the two thinks that were keeping me with Windows really). Have everything else working as I want already (DVD, all video, TV out, all viewers I use like Realplayer - all things I had problems with before when trying to switch).

So far so good hope it stays that way.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Quake
    I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.
    I have at my office. Gonna do it at home too though it will be dual boot as my family uses XP.

Beans

...Call of Duty Multiplayer gives XP a lifeline here. However I use Ubuntu for everything else.

At work I use Suse exclusively except for the annoying Exchange calendar system for which I have to use windows via an ICA Client.

Beans

I switched...more than a year ago I believe. I run Suse on my laptop (currently) and Ubuntu on one desktop, Slackware on another. I'm also in the process of switching my entire office over to Linux.

Beans

Hi,
    Ive been experimenting with Mandrake 9.2: 10.1, Ubuntu and Fedora Core 3 for a while now and have settled on Ubuntu for the time being.
    I prefer being in ubuntu and use it as my everyday OS but I have kept XP because there isnt a driver for my Lexmark scanner and I havent found a linux program to edit my .avi digi home movies and the XP tools for DVD backup and kvcd creation are far easier to use.
    Thing is I have only used my scanner twice over the last 2 years and I have only needed to edit 4 movies and back up 3 DVD's so you can imagine how often I boot up XP, I see XP like one of those silly little spare wheels you get with some cars that can only go a few miles at 30 mph on.
    I am also at college doing ECDL which is on Microsoft Office but I have aquired "Crossover Office" that lets me run "Office XP" on linux so thats another thing I dont have to go back into XP for, its a shame it has to install IE6 along with Office but you can guess how often I will be running that.
    It also alows you to run Adobe Photoshop and acrobat 5 and Flash MX, and Ive found that on mandrake it will also run Paintshop pro 7 but not 8 or 9 but it wont run on Ubuntu.

I have started playing desktop games because I get bored with linux because Im not scanning for viruses and spyware or running cleanup and the defragger all the time so I have to find something to do ?

Is it true that Penguins throw stones at Windows ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

My computer hasn't seen Windows for about two months now, largely thanks to Ubuntu (played around with Fedora, Mandrake, Suse & Debian Sarge before but they were all a little too frustrating in different ways for me to give up my XP dual boot), and I don't miss it at all (I certainly don't miss cleaning Spyware and Viruses off my system every few days).

I was using Firefox and Thunderbird on Windows anyway, so there's no real change there; MPlayer plays just about anything I throw at it (has a bit of trouble with Quicktime occasionally, but it's rare I want to watch anything in that format anyway); Rhythmbox and XMMS are more than adequate replacements for Winamp (although I did like the "fade out" option in Winamp); Azureus and Nicotine take care of all filesharing needs; Open Office does everything I ever want it to.

Gaming is somewhat hit and miss - GTAIII plays far better under Cedega than it did on XP, but I tried installing Black & White yesterday but couldn't get it to work - but I don't spend all that much time playing games anyway. I do wish they'd hurry up and release the Linux version of Postal 2 though!

All in all Ubuntu offers the best experience I've ever had from an OS (although I do have fond memories of my Sinclair Spectrum +2...) and ******* will never take hard drive space away from my home directory again!
    Last edited by Marquis_de_Carabas; February 10th, 2005 at 03:28 PM.
    "Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Lightbulb Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I use Linux using VMWare workstation in WinXP. I think its a great solution for all those who want multiple operating system on their PC without going through the trouble of multi-boot issues.

You could install as many OS as you like without having to repartition anything and if anything goes wrong you simple delete that virtual machine. You could even have more then 1 OS running at the same time (depending on your resources!)

Page 18 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118518 ... LastLast