Page 132 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142182232632 ... LastLast
Results 1,311 to 1,320 of 10014

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Well I'm a Linux newbie so Windows PCs still outnumber Linux PCs here. My main laptop now has XP and Ubuntu 6.06 dual boot and I am using Ubuntu more than Windows already. I have masses of email archived in Outlook so need to access Windows for that. I have also used DreamWeaver for years and haven't played with NVU enough to get to grips with it yet, so it's Windows for that sort of web design still.

However most of the current website stuff I am doing is designing templates for online stores using JShop, and it's great being able to run apache, PHP, MySQL and phpMyAdmin on the same machine as I use for developing and testing. I know this is also possible with Windows, but it is so much simpler with Ubuntu where things "just work".

Our file server still runs Windows 2003 Server, but that seems to corrupt its file system regularly so will probably be Ubuntu within a few months (once I'm a bit more familiar with it). It'll also be a mail server etc then.

I have recenty installed Windows Vista beta 2 and MS Office 2007 beta 2 on a PC and am completely unimpressed with both of them. Change for the sake of change. That PC is six months old and is not really adequate for Vista (graphics limitations mainly) though it runs Ubuntu and Windows XP happily.

I tried Ununtu a year or so ago and ran into several problems with hardware etc, and couldn't find the answers in these forums. A year on, Dapper Drake is much better in that regard, and the forums seem much more welcoming of newbies as long as we are prepared to have a go and don't expect Linux to be a Windows clone.

Beans

I cannot give up Photoshop.

Beans

i use photoshop 7.0 perfectly with wine. other versions that are newer can be a little more tricky to get going though
    www.mgcarforum.co.uk - Free forum community for MG car enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I have switched to Ubuntu and now switched my wifes machine too.

I have played with various Linux distros over the last few years but due to limitations (in various areas) I always switched back.

I am not a gamer and so everything else fits, is faster and no spying from software vendors.

OK, so not everysoftware package is as easy to install as Windows. However, in a funny kind of way, I hope it stays that way. you see, I get a sense of satisfaction when an install did nto work due to a dependancy not being there, researching the problem on the internet or by trial and error and eventually getting it going.

Also, I have found I have been able to get everything working (in the end) that I needed to. I have my printer networked to work on all machines, cross file sharing between the windows boxes of the kids and my wife and I's machines plus even the cameras and external hard drives work first time just like windows does!

The real big thing for me is the performance. Not that I do any big demanding aps. it is just everything happens before you click the mouse!

Thats my two cents worth. Thanks Ubuntu for making things happen!

Justin

Beans

I did and am totally happy with Ubuntu. A few things have to be changed/installed/corrected. But I removed windows a few months ago.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Perfectly happy with Linux. Haven't used Windows in anger on this machine for a while now.

Beans

we're not alone!! fly the ubuntu flag (or logo!! hehe)

http://ubuntucounter.geekosophical.net/
    www.mgcarforum.co.uk - Free forum community for MG car enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Since 2000.
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye." - Saint-Exupery, "The Little Prince"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Talking Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

When I switched to Ubuntu, I kept Windows for about a year, but I didn't use it very much. Only for playing some freeware games. It was easy to switch for me, because I'm not bound to any Windows app. I program a little, so I had no complaints after switching. Linux is way more developer-friendly.

I don't remember for how long I'm running Ubuntu only. Windows is a bad memory for me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Hi,

I'm using Linux since 1999. I started with Slackware (3?), then I used SUSE, Debian and since last year Ubuntu. Windows XP is also installed because of some special software I must use.

Page 132 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142182232632 ... LastLast