Page 13 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113513 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I am one of those guys that needs somone to fix my computer every week. I made a switch about two weeks ago because the guy who fixes the computer every week got a little tired of telling me over and over again that "it would all be better if you just got rid of windows." Plus a bad virus hit the comp and he had to clean slate it anyways.

So now things are working well but I can't find any online radio stations, In fact, I can't find any way to get any music off of the internet. That is like half the reason I use a computer. I am thinking about going back just to get real player back.

Beans

We could go completely Linux if my sons could play Shockwave based games.

So FWIW, I've added my name here:

http://www.petitiononline.com/linuxswp/petition.html

Cheers, Dave.

Beans

[...]
    << So now things are working well but I can't find any online radio stations, In fact, I can't find any way to get any music off of the internet. That is like half the reason I use a computer. I am thinking about going back just to get real player back.[/QUOTE]

It's easy to install . It will ask you in which directory you want it to be installed (I said /usr/local/RealPlayer ).

Furthermore, you have an open-source alternative, which is Helix. Quoted from their site:
    "The Helix Player is the Helix Community's open source media player for consumers. It is being developed to have a rich and usable graphical interface and support a variety of open media formats like Ogg Vorbis, Theora etc.
    The RealPlayer for Linux is built on top of the Helix Player for Linux and includes support for several non-open source components including RealAudio/RealVideo, MP3 etc."
    https://player.helixcommunity.org/

Beans

[QUOTE=Chokableu]I zero-blanked the HDD i had Windows on and I'm now with Ubuntu Linux completely.
    I'm happy to have been able to get rid of Windows.
    Among the things I miss the most :

- pdfcreator ( http://sector7g.wurzel6.de/pdfcreator/index_en.htm ) or a solution to easily print any documents to pdf, apart from printing first to ps then doing ps2pdf

.../...

Well, i'm correcting myself . I just discovered that there is an easy way to do this : using cups-pdf .
    It's well explained at
    http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/FrFaqTechnique#cups-pdf (it's in French, I don't know where the english link is).
    It's working well for me. Thanks to the Ubuntu people here.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake

I don't have more windows partitions on my hd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Snomad
    We could go completely Linux if my sons could play Shockwave based games.

So FWIW, I've added my name here:

http://www.petitiononline.com/linuxswp/petition.html

Cheers, Dave.
    couldnt switch my girl's laptop over for that reason too - java and shockwave and they wont make it able to play on linux smh

Beans

In about 6 weeks I'm moving from the Netherlands to Ireland, and I'm bringing my sony vaio PCG-FX505 with me, which is ubuntu-based
    It'll be the only piece of hardware I'll have to use
    Only need to buy a new battery because this one doesnt hold out more than 5 minutes under X (30 without X)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by overmannr
    I am one of those guys that needs somone to fix my computer every week. I made a switch about two weeks ago because the guy who fixes the computer every week got a little tired of telling me over and over again that "it would all be better if you just got rid of windows." Plus a bad virus hit the comp and he had to clean slate it anyways.

So now things are working well but I can't find any online radio stations, In fact, I can't find any way to get any music off of the internet. That is like half the reason I use a computer. I am thinking about going back just to get real player back.
    For streaming radio, check out a program called streamtuner. It's available in the universe repositories I believe. I displays shoutcast and other networks.

I am completely ubuntu based now on both my laptop and main box. I got pissed of at windows for the last time last week so I completely formatted it and started over (I have a ubuntu/windows dual setup before) with a fresh install. I'm now running hoary on both systems 24/7.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Talking Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Once i get married and no longer need a webcam ( about 3 weeks ) I will stick with OSX (mainly for work - graphic design - and recording music) and Ubuntu for personal stuff - surfing , email , chatting., and bookeeping.
    I cant wait to say I dont use Windows

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I use my laptop for connecting to wireless networks, graphics, web design, some PHP, server management, college work, media playback (music and videos), and general web and email.

I installed Linux half a year ago, just to see what it was like. I came across a screenshot tour on osdir, and it looked so good, I gave Suse 9.1 a try, since I could dual boot with Win XP. I wasn't completely pleased, switched to Xandros and then Fedora core 2, which I dual booted with Win XP.

When I came across Ubuntu, I switched my Fedora, still dual booting. About a week ago, I got a new computer, and since I hadn't booted into Windows for a couple of months, I decided to do without.

Now, I'll never go back to anything else. Ubuntu works like a charm on my IBM Thinkpad. A lot better than Win XP, with hardware detection, and especially software.

Thanks Ubuntu!

...now my friends are downloading Ubuntu as well

Page 13 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113513 ... LastLast