Page 12 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112512 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I have been dual booting for 3 years on every laptop I have had. I do and have done a lot of desktop support for XP / Novell / GroupWise, so I still keep a copy live and kicking for reference work and lab testing (SP2 for instance).

I always keep a DOS partition between the two systems for keeping my music on. For personal use I only use Linux.

I started with Corel Linux many moons ago, but always failed to get my modem working. I then went to Mandrake, then SuSE for a few versions, but was getting bored and more and more frustrated with what felt like the large and clunky KDE and was on 9.1 when my friend told me about Unbuntu, I have been happily here for a couple of months now and loving it.

I feel the Unbutu desktop is as good a windows for web browsing and for basic office documents and with utilities such as Firestarter and F-Prot, firewall and anti-virus have the same prescene and give peace of mind that such programs as Sygate and Ad-Aware or InnoculateIT / Norton etc.

I know for sure that the office where I work could go over to a Linux desktop environment, but unfortunately is a M$ shop and will be as they are retiring the Netware servers and going over to Windo$e!

Maybe one day I will have a completely Windows free laptop, with each day I suppose that gets a little closer.

Beans

I can remember years ago, after seeing a segment about Linux on the Screen Savers, I decided to try out Linux. I bought one of those Teach Yourself Linux books that came along with Redhat 5.x. I was amazed at how quickly it made my then, Pentium 75mhz computer run, even with its paltry 16mb of RAM.

Over the years I have dabbled with linux until recently switching to Ubuntu for good. There are still moments that I yearn for the comfort of Windows, mainly when I want to run some obscure program.

This is a list of programs that I still wish had a good linux equivalant:
    -DVD Shrink (I seem not to be the only one)
    -NERO
    -Access (for the sole fact that I know how to use it and am set in my ways)

As you can see, my list isnt very long. Most of these programs I wish for are solely wished for because I know them well, adn dont want to learn anything else. DVD shrink is the exception to that rule. Of all those programs the database solution is the most crucial for some research I am conducting with some friends and also for an easy way to search my book collection.

Overall in switching the most key thing I found is to always remember that your not using windows anymore. DOnt be upset that things dont work right for you. They do work right, they just work the right way in a different way under linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I was using 4-5 linux distibusions but none worked like ubuntu linux. Befor that I used WIN98/95 for several years and WINXP for about few days because nothing worked in them. In ubuntu everything is WORKING PERFECT!

Proud user of Ubuntu linux 4.10 8)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Quake
    I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.
    I took the step. The only game i've got left in my house is Rome:Total War.
    The rest is still at my parent's

My windows is deleted, my ntfs partitions are gone, and with it about 20 gig of stored software, games and iso's.

I'll start playing games once I've gotten myself a nvidia gfx card tho.
    If this is life, I think I'll live another day

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fng
    Q3 has a native linux port
    Why boot into windows for that?
    I did have Q3 setup in ubuntu, but I had SERIOUS slowdown issues with my integrated video... I read about a fix but just haven't had the time to get to taking care of it
    Dell Inspiron 500m
    Dual boot: Ubuntu "Warty"/WinXP

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lockenkeyster
    I did have Q3 setup in ubuntu, but I had SERIOUS slowdown issues with my integrated video... I read about a fix but just haven't had the time to get to taking care of it
    You are running Q3 on an IGP?
    If this is life, I think I'll live another day

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenWolf
    You are running Q3 on an IGP?
    not much choice, seeing as how it is a laptop... it runs fine in windows, just as well as my desktop...
    Dell Inspiron 500m
    Dual boot: Ubuntu "Warty"/WinXP

Beans

I took out my xp drive, and am running Ubuntu completely on the desktop, for the moment. only problem i am having is getting dvdshrink to work in Wine, and have it recognize by dvd drive. Once done, then i will not be afarid to wipe that xp disk for more free space.

Beans

I zero-blanked the HDD i had Windows on and I'm now with Ubuntu Linux completely.
    I'm happy to have been able to get rid of Windows.
    Among the things I miss the most :

- pdfcreator ( http://sector7g.wurzel6.de/pdfcreator/index_en.htm ) or a solution to easily print any documents to pdf, apart from printing first to ps then doing ps2pdf

- 7zip an excellent compressor with 7z format; i've just learned that a CLI linux version is in unstable stage. Waiting for a GUI integrated in Gnome some day...

- I'll have to look for an alternative solution to Access (easy query and reporting tool for MySql).

Long live to the free world !

Beans

im so glad i have unbuntu installed.. before i had win98 se and xp installed...so far m enjoying working on some configurations...thanks a lot for ur help guys!

Page 12 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112512 ... LastLast