Page 10 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110510 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by crun
    Switched to 100% Linux about 1 1/2 years ago (using Libranet at the time).

Sometimes I wonder if I might not try dual booting again to see if I'm missing anything, but then a friend calls me round for some fun hours of wiping viruses and trojans from their XP box and I quickly change my mind again
    Nope, you aren't missing anything.

Can't wait to switch.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I use linux for everything pretty much I have XP on this laptop to run certain apps that wont work in wine- but I use gentoo for my laptop and ubuntu for my primary server - I discovered I could do everything in Linux 2 years ago and since then its been F You MS

XP just seems like trash to me now

Beans

Talking Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

People...before you read this, please brace yourself...I'm gonna say something very shocking.
    I've been a DOS user for 8 years.
    *Ducks under the desk to avoid possible projectiles*
    Yeah, I've used DOS, I've always liked it much better then Windows and Linux I just didn't know.....let alone Mac OS.
    I had a DOS 6.....whatever on a 486, and a 28k8 modem attached to it so I could fetch mail from my fave BBS's that I read in that old prog called Bluewave to which I attached some self written progs and batch files to make my mails look fancy and steal all the taglines.
    Those were the old days...the ancient days now.

Few years ago I met this neighbour who bought a new fancy machine; a P4 with winXP on it and another neighbour "helped" him to install it. Some days later I helped him to fix the mess the other neighbour made. Later I helped him hook it up to ADSL and we learned the dangers of internet and their names.
    A lot wiser and sicker of the ******* I learned from the neighbour the existance of a very handy device that could get me a big computer as well, that wonder called credit card. And we shared the highspeed internet that could get me all the Linuxes I could want.
    I looked around and took Mandrake for a first pick. Mandrake 9.0 installation was a breeze...except for the drivers I had to fetch first to get ethernet working.
    I learned alot about Apache and PHP and MySQL and was happy for about a year until I got hacked and realized I just had to learn to get new kernels and...shudder...a new version that was still supported...
    The 9.1, 9.2 and even 10.0 versions of Mandrake all were major dissappointments. The ethernet shutted down just after starting...the Xserver crashed a lot.
    So I switched to Debian..which required and still requires me to compile a new kernel and videodrivers before working...but it would work!
    Now I also got a laptop....yeah I'm modernizing finally...and decided I would like some more modern softwares as well. I gave Mandrake another try...they've had plenty time to iron out the bugs.....but apparantly while the install looks great, the drivers get screwed up afterwards and whenever more then a few keys are pressed the screen gives "dogpuke", which pretty much makes debugging impossible.
    Now I'm giving Ubuntu a try...loved the lack of bells and whistles at first sight...now I just hope I'll get the desktop working.
    But not today...today I'm suffering enormously from a massive hang over from yesterdays beer...ouch..

Beans

I'm trying really hard, my xp box is only on for itunes streaming radio.

Beans

I use linux most of the time but unfortunately still have some applications that will only work on windows, such as some of the gps applications I use. I have an old desktop that runs windows with the Windows-only applications I need on it.

My laptop dual boot for those times when I need to do something in a hurry which isn't set up on linux and don't have time to mess around trying to get it to work. I also haven't gotten my winmodem to work so when I travel I use windows for dial-up. At home I use cable so that works fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I completely switched to Ubuntu Linux AMD64 some weeks ago and am quite happy with it...

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by Mira
    People...before you read this, please brace yourself...I'm gonna say something very shocking.
    I've been a DOS user for 8 years.
    *Ducks under the desk to avoid possible projectiles*
    Yeah, I've used DOS, I've always liked it much better then Windows and Linux I just didn't know.....let alone Mac OS.
    I had a DOS 6.....whatever on a 486, and a 28k8 modem attached to it so I could fetch mail from my fave BBS's that I read in that old prog called Bluewave to which I attached some self written progs and batch files to make my mails look fancy and steal all the taglines.
    Those were the old days...the ancient days now.
    DOS was great, I used it since I was 6 - I remember when we got Windows 3.11 to run on our machine - man I was so disappointed with it's performance.

Oh and the memory improvement program.. what was that called.. started with a Q - it was awesome, a few reboots and you had nearly your entire 640KB free for usage. And Stacker...

I used to code little menu programs in batch using Nortons ASCII art toolkit, it was so great.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Lovechild
    DOS was great, I used it since I was 6 - I remember when we got Windows 3.11 to run on our machine - man I was so disappointed with it's performance.

Oh and the memory improvement program.. what was that called.. started with a Q - it was awesome, a few reboots and you had nearly your entire 640KB free for usage. And Stacker...

I used to code little menu programs in batch using Nortons ASCII art toolkit, it was so great.
    QEMM386 from Quarterdeck Software...wonderful program!
    "....I'm a user, not a programmer...."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've been using Ubuntu off and on for about a week now.. I'm pretty pleased so far!

Unfortunatly no matter how much I like Ubuntu, I have to keep Windows around for The Sims and my schooling-- I go to school online and the software supports nothing but Windows! I'd like to convince my parents that graduating 8th grade isn't as important as being a Linux purist, but my arguments just haven't stuck.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by Niomi
    I've been using Ubuntu off and on for about a week now.. I'm pretty pleased so far!

Unfortunatly no matter how much I like Ubuntu, I have to keep Windows around for The Sims and my schooling-- I go to school online and the software supports nothing but Windows! I'd like to convince my parents that graduating 8th grade isn't as important as being a Linux purist, but my arguments just haven't stuck.

Hi Niomi

Have you tried wine:
    http://www.winehq.com/

or cedega (for games!)?
    http://www.transgaming.com/products_linux.php

Keep being curious!!!

Page 10 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110510 ... LastLast