Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why did Linux Mint surpass Ubuntu in popularity

Beans

Why did Linux Mint surpass Ubuntu in popularity

Why did Linux Mint dethrone Ubuntu as the most popular distro on distrowatch.org?

distrowatch.org lists Linux popularity based on page hits. For as long as I can remember Ubuntu was either rising in popularity (in the mid-2000's) or was at the top (late 2000's, early 2010's). Linux Mint has usurped Ubuntu and has been there for at least a year.

I do have my personal theory to explain Linux Mint's recent rise in popularity but I'm curious as to what the denizens of ubuntu forums think. I only actively started using Ubuntu again last September but I had paid half-hearted attention to Linux news so I was surprised to see that Ubuntu had been dethroned and not by a small margin either (I stopped using Ubuntu/Linux 3 or 4 years ago when my eldest was born).

Or, is my memory failing me (http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Te...buntu-Top-Spot and comments below). Was Ubuntu never particularly popular?

PS I figure this is a recurring question but I didn't see a thread like this there so I put it in 'Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat'.

Beans

Re: Why did Linux Mint surpass Ubuntu in popularity

A LOT more people know about Ubuntu than distrowatch, that means most Ubuntu users have gotten to Ubuntu without ever visiting distrowatch. I had no idea what it was until the Mint story. So to draw conclusion based on distrowatch hits is completely invalid, the fallacy is so elementary that it is almost embarrassing to have to spell it out. Moreover, people who are happy with their Oses are not going to distrohop so again the people who visit distrowatch are a self selected sample.

If a rumour is circulated long enough some people would believe, this is the internet.

Beans

Linux Mint has all its "varieties" (Cinnamon, MATE, XFCE, and whatever else) lumped together in one entry it seems. Ubuntu "varieties" are broken out separately. A quick calculation as of 17 May shows Ubuntu + Lubuntu + Xubuntu + Kubuntu + Ubuntu GNOME + Ubuntu MATE + Ubuntu Kylin = 4157
    Linux Mint = 2918 ( using the default figures for last 6 months)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Are we still measuring distro popularity by DistroWatch rankings?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    It seems some people never give up doing so. Including the Linux Mint Blog. In it's April 2015 News is found:

Rankings:
    Distrowatch (popularity ranking): 2893 (1st)
    Alexa (website ranking): 6819th

Beans

I think that's because more people are interested in something that ''looks and feel like Windows''. Quite clearly Linux Mint Cinnamon falls into that line. Popular tech websites recommend it for that reason alone. While the distrowatch ranking doesn't mean the actual number of users it does give a fair reprensentation of how much people are looking at a distro's offical website. I would not be surprised to learn that Mint is getting that much traffic from hesitant Windows users open-minded for an alternative yet without necesserely ever commiting to it.
    Last edited by night_sky2; 1 Week Ago at 06:53 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

IN reality ubuntu IS the most popular and it's also the best known to non linux users as well because it often gets mentioned in various media...i see articles about it all the time on my yahoo homepage for example...and listen to tech media broadcasts on radio where (when they do bring up linux as an alternative) Ubuntu is the one they mention and not say, Linux Mint...

It's kind of become the "coca cola" of linux, as it were

Beans

I'm convinced that there is a group of linux mint zealots that go to the mint distrowatch page once a day just to keep their rankings high

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Only when people can use that false premise to back up a non-argument.

Beans
    Hidden!

I browse the distrowatch site quite often just to get information in a single site about all the Linux offerings available to anyone.

I usually quickly go to both the Ubuntu and Mint sections when I am there, but that has absolutely no bearing on the chance of me changing from Xubuntu (note- Xubuntu, not Ubuntu) to Mint.

I have tried Mint a long time ago, and I still generally have a look at it in VBox when a new version appears, as I do for the many *ubuntu flavours, but as others here have already said, that has no bearing at all on the chance of me changing to Mint as my main OS; I just don't like it as much as the *ubuntu OSs.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast