Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu, great SO, but very ugly

Beans

Ubuntu, great SO, but very ugly

Hi there.

Ubuntu seems to me an awesome OS, but in my opinion looks awful, that orange color is very ugly.

Moreover, the Ambiance theme and icons that come by default are very outdated, why does Canonical renewal of this? I think it's very necessary a visual change in Ubuntu.

I know I'm going to say that I can change, but out of the box experience must be something important.

Who came up with that combination of colors used, these icons?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu, great SO, but very ugly

You do realize that Ubuntu allows for many, many variations of desktop themes ? You are only limited by your imagination...search for Themes, Desktop Settings, Lubuntu, Xbuntu, Linux Mint, or go to DistroWatch.com and look at screenshots...

Some examples: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=August
    Last edited by christopher9; 23 Hours Ago at 03:34 PM.
    "...and you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking...racing around to come up behind you again." - Pink Floyd

Beans

@christopher9 I understand, but I do not speak of configuration possibilities, I mean an OS image, a nice identity that comes by default.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What version of Ubuntu are you speaking of because I thought the new default was purple

Beans

@overdrank I'm using 14.04, I see the purple color, but I also see a lot of orange and totally outdated icons. Seriously, Canonical should take more seriously a redesign of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Could you define "outdated"?

There are those who say Unity is already too radical a redesign.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by overdrank View Post
    What version of Ubuntu are you speaking of because I thought the new default was purple
    Yes...the desktop is purple...there is a lot of orange in the theme of course...actually, black and orange is the traditional ubuntu theme colors...purple gives the desktop a very modern look, i think
    What's wrong with the something different? (directed to the op) Does everything have to look old and traditional to be attractive? personally, i don't find anything ugly about it...

If you prefer a more silver/metal looking panel theme, there is that option in the settings...it's called radiance...but it isn't going to change the desktop color...as far as the orange aspect, that IS traditional for ubuntu...
    Last edited by craig10x; 21 Hours Ago at 05:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

We were supposed to get a new icon theme a few versions back. I've no idea why it got put on the back burner.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    We were supposed to get a new icon theme a few versions back. I've no idea why it got put on the back burner.
    Because Ubuntu Touch >.>

And the one thing the Ubuntu look has going for it is ease of spotting it in the wild... 2 second clip on a TV documentary you will be able to identify Ubuntu just about every time (and yes the launcher to the right has a lot to do with it too )

Come shoot the breeze with us on the Ubuntu Forums IRC channel - #ubuntuforums

Beans

@Qlll Outdated can be very subjective, but it is possible to say with certainty that the design theme and icons of Ubuntu do not follow the current trend, rather have a look of the 90s.

As for color, orange is not an attractive color for OS, without any doubt.

I'll be in Ubuntu to the release of elementary OS Freya, which has a very neat and attractive appearance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast