Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: How to make a live CD/DVD from your harddisk installation

Beans

Re: How to make a live CD/DVD from your harddisk installation

Quote Originally Posted by stumpalump View Post
    I have all my themes saved on a different hard disk. So what you're saying is I would also have to copy the tar files over as well?

Do you happen to know where exactly the config file is that points to the tar files and all that?
    As far as I know the themes are usually stored in /usr/share or in home directory, but I don't use gnome nor compiz so maybe they can enable the user to store the themes elsewhere as in our case (you said you have them on another harddisk).

In the live CD, the themes must reside in same directory structure as in your host system. For example, if your themes are in /media/sda4/theme you have to copy them as follows to you work dir

Code:
    sudo cp -av --parents /media/sda4/themes ${WORK}/rootfs
    If you are not sure what are the config files that store the settings for your theme, you can copy all the config files in your home directory as I explained in my previous post.

Beans

Capink, thanks for your continued help in this thread.

Sorry if I was unclear before. What I meant was that I download all the .tar.gz's to another hard disk and then apply them in emerald/gtk. So what I'm trying to accomplish is to have the liveDVD I create use my theme by default as opposed to the human theme when it boots.

It is using my custom loading screen and my gdm though.

I'm kinda new to linux still. So when I import a theme from a .tar, you're saying it gets stored in /usr/share so that's what I need to copy, right?

Also, I guess it would help if I knew which .conf stored all the default user paths/settings for the buttons, metacity, and emerald themes.

Thanks in advance for your reply, Capink

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Take a look at the global gconf settings as most of it is stored there.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stumpalump View Post
    Capink, thanks for your continued help in this thread.

Sorry if I was unclear before. What I meant was that I download all the .tar.gz's to another hard disk and then apply them in emerald/gtk. So what I'm trying to accomplish is to have the liveDVD I create use my theme by default as opposed to the human theme when it boots.

It is using my custom loading screen and my gdm though.

I'm kinda new to linux still. So when I import a theme from a .tar, you're saying it gets stored in /usr/share so that's what I need to copy, right?

Also, I guess it would help if I knew which .conf stored all the default user paths/settings for the buttons, metacity, and emerald themes.

Thanks in advance for your reply, Capink
    Anything in /usr/share is already copied in step B. So if the theme is there you only need to copy the config file.

I am not sure, but I think when you applied the theme it has gone to the ~/.themes and ~/.emerald/theme directories. You can check this directory and check if your theme is there. If it is, you need to copy these directories along with some config files ( I not positive about the config files because I am using difffernt desktop evironment but try the ones in the command below ):

Code:
    for i in .gconf .local .emerald .gnome2 .themes .compiz
    do
    sudo cp -r --preseve=mode ~/${i} ${WORK}/rootfs/etc/skel
    done

These include .gconf folder as suggested by Fragadelic.

Or you can try the remastersys script by Fragadelic with the backup option. A link to it is present now in my opening post.
    Last edited by capink; March 17th, 2008 at 09:58 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Fragadelic View Post
    Take a look at the global gconf settings as most of it is stored there.
    Hi Fragadelic. I just started looking into your scirpt. It is very nice. I will post my comments (and questions later) when I have more time to look at it more.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by capink View Post
    Hi Fragadelic. I just started looking into your scirpt. It is very nice. I will post my comments (and questions later) when I have more time to look at it more.
    Thanks. I still have some work to do on it in terms of cleanup of /var for the dist mode but its coming along.

I did some checking and pwconv and grpconv do rebuild the shadow and gshadow files so the next version will just omit those.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I think I will add BOOT=casper to the grub entries in remastersys as well. This might be the reason some folks have been getting it stopping at the (initramfs). Not 100% sure but worth a try anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I did some quick checking and cannot find any reference to BOOT=casper anywhere on the web. Everything I see refers to only boot=casper so I don't think that is it.

I think some of the folks that had issues were using Hardy 8.04 and I found a bug about that.

Beans

I think I realize where I got confused about this whole BOOT=casper and boot=casper. I am currently using Debian which uses live-initramfs as a fork for casper.

The live-initramfs man said to use BOOT=live. I then converted the guide to work for both casper and live-initramfs. But casper have the boot=casper. So to make the guide support both, I added both BOOT and boot options.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Fragadelic View Post
    I think I will add BOOT=casper to the grub entries in remastersys as well. This might be the reason some folks have been getting it stopping at the (initramfs). Not 100% sure but worth a try anyway.
    The problem of people being dropped to an initramfs shell does not happen only with custom made cds. I was dropped to the same shell by the live Ubuntu Feisty Cd. It seems that this problem happens with certain types of hardware.

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast