Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: How to make a live CD/DVD from your harddisk installation

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: How to make a live CD/DVD from your harddisk installation

Quote Originally Posted by capink View Post
    I think I realize where I got confused about this whole BOOT=casper and boot=casper. I am currently using Debian which uses live-initramfs as a fork for casper.

The live-initramfs man said to use BOOT=live. I then converted the guide to work for both casper and live-initramfs. But casper have the boot=casper. So to make the guide support both, I added both BOOT and boot options.
    That makes sense.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by capink View Post
    The problem of people being dropped to an initramfs shell does not happen only with custom made cds. I was dropped to the same shell by the live Ubuntu Feisty Cd. It seems that this problem happens with certain types of hardware.
    you are correct. I found some references of it with regards to using acpi=off in the boot params to get by it. Looks like it has problems loading the filesystem.squashfs after it boots initramfs - maybe a module loading issue.

Beans

Just finished applying the step in the tutorial and burning DVD now, anxious to see how it turns out. I found one problem I wanted to point out, E. 2. has a typo:

-----------------------------------------
    2. Test the CD

Test using qemu emulator

Code:
    qemu -cdrom ~\live-cd.iso -boot d
    -----------------------------------------

That needs to be a forward slash.

My use of this is probably somethign that has not been tested, I am creating a DVD from a VMWare instance of Ubuntu 7.10 Gutys. I have customized that with apps I use in my job, including a VPN client for connecting to my companies network. My goal here is to make an emergency Live DVD. I am on call off-hours and get tired of lugging my laptop with me for the occassional times I need it. If I can boot this up in another PC and get VPN access, it will be cool. We will see what happens.

Beans

Thank you for pointing out the typo. I have corrected it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hi,

Thanks very much for the clearly explained procedure.

I used it successfully to create a LiveCD of my much-abbreviated IceWM-Gutsy hard disk install.

Bu then have had a rather bizarre problem (or series of problems).

After the intial sucess, have not been able to 'make' another LiveCD, when running the ISO under Qemu, keep getting dropped to the 'initramfs' error.

Noticed a couple of things that might be having an effect:

1) after the remove non-system errors, my username is gone from /etc/passwd but the screen messages at the conclusion of making the squashfs file include a mention of my username.

2) a package called 'live-initramfs' is supposed to be removed from the filesystem.manifest, to prepare the '-desktop file, but such a package doesn't seem to exist on the system (I followed all the installation instructions).

Bearing in mind my very limited knowledge of this 'live cd building' stuff, the above may be unrelated to the failure but thought it was worth letting you know.

Thanks again for the work you have put in.

Used your

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gjhicks View Post
    After the intial sucess, have not been able to 'make' another LiveCD, when running the ISO under Qemu, keep getting dropped to the 'initramfs' error.
    As noticed by az in this post, this sometimes happens with qemu. To be sure try burning the iso to a REwritable cd and test on your machine directly without an emulator.

after the remove non-system errors, my username is gone from /etc/passwd
    That is intended and is normal. The live cd will create a user of its own called ubuntu upon boot.

but the screen messages at the conclusion of making the squashfs file include a mention of my username.
    That is probably because some of the files in the system are owned by the main user. To rectify this problem run these commands just after the fisrt command in step B (after copying your filesystem):

Code:
    sudo find ${WORK}/rootfs -user username -exec sudo chown --no-dereference root {} \;
    Code:
    sudo find ${WORK}/rootfs -group username -exec sudo chgrp --no-dereference root {} \;
    Replace username with the username of your original system.

2) a package called 'live-initramfs' is supposed to be removed from the filesystem.manifest, to prepare the '-desktop file, but such a package doesn't seem to exist on the system (I followed all the installation instructions).
    Indeed, I have corrected this mistake by removing live-initramfs from the variable REMOVE (in step D.2)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks guys for this wonderfull tutorial.

Well, I've built about 5 or 6 livecd using this guide, BUT all the times I get the same problem:

When I'm booting the iso with QEMU the boot process stops at (initramfs) prompt !!!!

I've tried to add acpi=off in grub, but that didn't resolve the problem.

When I'm at initramfs prompt.

I've tried also to add all_generic_ide since in booting with Gutsy I have to this also, but no way it stops also when detecting some hardware.

Now I've tried with VirtualBox and it works well, so it was a problem with QEmu.

But now I have a another problem:
    - I've installed a debootstrap system and made the live cd from it.
    - I've installed xdm on debootstrap
    - But when I arrive to XDM Login screen it prompts for a username and a password that I don't now (I've tried my login and pass that I use in my Ubuntu Gutsy but it doens't work)
    - Can I disable the login in LiveCD? How?
    - I've installed also ubiquity, so doest it ask me for a new user and password when It starts to make the installation to hard disk?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm just so close to make my LiveCD/Installation Custom CD.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Beans

Unfortunately casper only supports gdm and kdm. Try adding the following parameter to grub entry:

Code:
    textonly
    This should log you to a text terminal where you can start GUI by typing:

Code:
    startx -- :1

Edit: You can modify grub parameters temporarily without remastersing the cd. look of instructions in this link.
    Last edited by capink; April 23rd, 2008 at 02:05 AM.

Beans

I made a custom live cd of my gutsy 64 with remastersys and it's not workin'
    I get this error message about gdm :
    "Server Authorization directory (daemon/ServAuthDir) is set to /var/lib/gdm but this does not exist. Please correct GDM configuration and restart GDM"

What do i did wrong ?? What can i do ??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Fantastic post. Thanks a lot. I created LiveDVD of my hardy installation and I can get back hardy to the state in liveDVD using ubiquity installer.

Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast