Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: How to make a live CD/DVD from your harddisk installation

Beans

Re: How to make a live CD/DVD from your harddisk installation

Well, I will answer my own question for me. This is how I created a new default desktop, panels, etc. in gnome for new users:

I created an ordinary test user and set up the desktop background, panels, theme, nautilus, volume, etc. to my liking. Then I did this while logged in as the test user: (the long way for clarity)

WARNING!!! This is what I did and had success. It doesn't mean that you will. Do it at your own risk.

In a terminal:
    Code:
    gconftool-2 --dump /apps/panel > /home/trapper/temp/new-panel-settings.xml
    gconftool-2 --dump /apps/nautilus > /home/trapper/temp/new-nautilus-settings.xml
    gconftool-2 --dump /apps/gnome > /home/trapper/temp/new-gnome-settings.xml
    gconftool-2 --dump /apps/gnome-screensaver > /home/trapper/temp/new-gnome-screensaver-settings.xml
    gconftool-2 --dump /apps/gnome-volume-control > /home/trapper/temp/new-gnome-volume-control-settings.xml
    gconftool-2 --dump /desktop > /home/trapper/temp/new-desktop-settings.xml

sudo chown root:root /home/trapper/temp/new-panel.xml
    sudo chown root:root /home/trapper/temp/new-nautilus-settings.xml
    sudo chown root:root /home/trapper/temp/new-gnome-settings.xml
    sudo chown root:root /home/trapper/temp/new-gnome-screensaver-settings.xml
    sudo chown root:root /home/trapper/temp/new-gnome-volume-control-settings.xml
    sudo chown root:root /home/trapper/temp/new-desktop-settings.xml

sudo gconftool-2 --direct --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults --load /home/trapper/temp/new-panel.xml
    sudo gconftool-2 --direct --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults --load /home/trapper/temp/new-nautilus-settings.xml
    sudo gconftool-2 --direct --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults --load /home/trapper/temp/new-gnome-settings.xml
    sudo gconftool-2 --direct --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults --load /home/trapper/temp/new-gnome-screensaver-settings.xml
    sudo gconftool-2 --direct --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults --load /home/trapper/temp/new-gnome-volume-control-settings.xml
    sudo gconftool-2 --direct --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults --load /home/trapper/temp/new-desktop-settings.xml
    After I did all this I proceeded with the "How to make a live CD/DVD from your harddisk installation" howto. When I do an install from my new custom LiveCD and login for the first time all the preferences I had as the test user and saved via the gconftool-2 are now the default settings.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chris4585 View Post
    In the /etc/skell folder, everything you want the live user to be in the home folder put in /etc/skell. For example if you want a launcher on your desktop put it /etc/skell/Desktop/ (of course after creating the Desktop folder).

Hope that helps
    Thanks. It seems we were both posting solutions about the same time.

Beans

copying all of your config files is what i do, but if you want to actually install from the livecd and have every user have all the same config files you should put those files in /etc/skell. Everytime a new user is created, /etc/skell is copied to the new user's home folder.

Beans

copying all of your config files is what i do, but if you want to actually install from the livecd and have every user have all the same config files you should put those files in /etc/skell. Everytime a new user is created, /etc/skell is copied to the new user's home folder.
    Okay. I will give this method a try seeing that it seems a much easier process and has been mentioned a couple of times here. When you say to put all the config files into /etc/skel exactly what config files are you referring to? What I am wanting each new user to have is specifically customized panels, desktop background, application menu, and theme.

Beans

everything you had in your livecd user's directory counting the hidden files.

Beans

everything you had in your livecd user's directory counting the hidden files.
    Okay. I will try this and see how it compares to the way I did it. Thanks chris4585.

Beans

No problem dude.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RumorsOfWar View Post
    I just tried to use my install disk on another machine ( it has the same processor and similar vid card), and it hung at 94% while configuring hardware.
    I'm wondering if my install disk is missing some hardware components because I started out with the Alt-install in the first place.
    Any ideas?
    Well, I am experiencing the same problem when I install my custom u904-64 livecd. It gets to 94% (hardware) and hangs for almost 10 minutes and then completes the install. I didn't see any problems for a while. Then I tried to print something. No cups. It was there, it's shows it's running, but nothing can connect. I totally removed everything related to cup and all my hp drivers, etc. and reinstalled. Still no cups access. The printer does get recognized by the hp install utility but it refuses to install it because of the cups problem.

Uniquely, this is on the same box I created my livecd on and the printer works well there. Also when I boot up in the livecd the printer is also there. It just is not there and I can't get it there when I do an install to the hard drive. I worked for hours trying to get things straightened out but to no avail.

Utimately I resorted to recreating my custom livecd again, burned it to disk and tried again. Same results. I tried the complete process six more times. Same result except that one time it installed without hanging at 94% and I had printer support. Did another install on another partition using the same livecd and it hung at 94% and no printer again.

I've never had difficulty like this on this machine. I have 8.04 32 bit, 9.04 32 and 64 bit, karmic 32 and 64 bit on the box and have not experienced this problem.

Oh well, I have a very nice custom cd setup but this problem negates all my work.

I find it real odd that I have the printer as the livecd user but not when I install to the hard drive. That's definetly not a hardware problem. All my other installs on this box back that up too.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    Well, I am experiencing the same problem when I install my custom u904-64 livecd. It gets to 94% (hardware) and hangs for almost 10 minutes and then completes the install. I didn't see any problems for a while. Then I tried to print something.
    I've yet to resolve this problem using this HowTo but I did easily resolve the problem using remastersys. The LiveCD I burned from the iso it created did a normal, successful install on the very first attempt. There was no minor hangup at 86% (languages) and no extended hangup at 94% (hardware). At 94% it did take a bit of time but there was obvious hard drive activity all during it rather than nothing happening. Most importantly, when I installed from the custom LiveCD, everything is as I desired and everything works, including cups and my printer.

I did the HowTo routine no less than 10 times. I've been working with computers since back in the day when the computer consisted of two 5 1/4' soft floppies. I'm no pro but I've installed complicated production postfix based mail server systems from scratch. I've gone through numerous other HowTo routines much more complicated than this one was. I am left with the assumption that there is something that's not addressed or addressed incorrectly in this HowTo. Obviously, something happens in remastersys that does not take place in this. I consider human error on my part but after so many attempts and taking extra effort to ensure I was taking all steps exactly according to instruction I am left with the feeling there's an instruction error somewhere. I do know one thing for certain. For clarity, non-bootstrap and bootstrap methods need to be in two distinctly different HowTo's rather than combined.

capink, I am not trying to bash. I am just trying to express my experience over the past few days and what my personal conclusions are. I've noted through the many pages of posts in this thread that many people seem to have had complete success. I have also noted though that others have been confronted with the same problem I have. There seems to be some circumstance that your routine does not address. Unfortunately, I have not been able to figure out what that circumstance is. Obviously, it is not a circumstance that everyone has. It does seem to be something that is handled in remastersys though.

Trapper

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post

capink, I am not trying to bash. I am just trying to express my experience over the past few days and what my personal conclusions are. I've noted through the many pages of posts in this thread that many people seem to have had complete success. I have also noted though that others have been confronted with the same problem I have. There seems to be some circumstance that your routine does not address. Unfortunately, I have not been able to figure out what that circumstance is. Obviously, it is not a circumstance that everyone has. It does seem to be something that is handled in remastersys though.

Trapper
    Don't worry, I know you are not bashing. This guide is not prefect. Some people have reported problems that I was not able to reproduce, and consequently not able to solve. Unfortunately I have been busy lately with not much time to improve the guide.

Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast