Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: How to make a live CD/DVD from your harddisk installation

Beans

Re: How to make a live CD/DVD from your harddisk installation

Quote Originally Posted by karika200 View Post
    In debian lenny repositories I can't found the unionfs modul for the precompiled(2.6.25) kernel, but there is a package aufs. I installed aufs, but at boot, it requires unionfs. What should I do?:\
    union=aufs boot parameter rlz.. ^^ But now, I have kernel panic with the message "specify the file system"...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm making a livecd using a debootstrap (hardy 8.04.1) installation.

In STEP D1 (since I'm building from debootstrap) I've replaced the three commands of the original guide with the ones from appendix.2.

OK, everyting cool.

BUT, since I also installed ubiquity in deboostrap, I think I need to run the commands in Step D2 in order to Generate the manifest:

So I do:
    sudo chroot ${WORK}/rootfs dpkg-query -W --showformat='${Package} ${Version}\n' | sudo tee ${CD}/${FS_DIR}/filesystem.manifest

and:
    sudo cp -v ${CD}/${FS_DIR}/filesystem.manifest{,-desktop}

BUT when I do the following command:

IT RETURNS AN ERROR.

Any Idea????

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by LuisPT View Post
    I'm making a livecd using a debootstrap (hardy 8.04.1) installation.

In STEP D1 (since I'm building from debootstrap) I've replaced the three commands of the original guide with the ones from appendix.2.

OK, everyting cool.

BUT, since I also installed ubiquity in deboostrap, I think I need to run the commands in Step D2 in order to Generate the manifest:

So I do:
    sudo chroot ${WORK}/rootfs dpkg-query -W --showformat='${Package} ${Version}\n' | sudo tee ${CD}/${FS_DIR}/filesystem.manifest

and:

BUT when I do the following command:

IT RETURNS AN ERROR.

Any Idea????
    Sorry to bump again, but I forgot to give details about the error that happens to me when I do command sudo cp -v ${CD}/${FS_DIR}/filesystem.manifest{,-desktop} in step D2.

cp: destination file argument is missing after`/home/cd/casper/filesystem.manifest{,-desktop}'
    Try 'cp --help' for more informations
    sed: it's not possible to read /home/cd/casper/filesystem.manifest-desktop: File or directory doesn't exist
    sed: it's not possible to read /home/cd/casper/filesystem.manifest-desktop: File or directory doesn't exist
    sed: não é possivel ler /home/cd/casper/filesystem.manifest-desktop: Ficheiro ou directoria inexistente
    umount: /home/work/rootfs/dev: device is busy
    umount: /home/work/rootfs/dev: device is busy

Parallel mksquashfs: Using 2 processors
    Creating little endian 3.1 filesystem on /home/cd/casper/filesystem.squashfs, block size 131072.
    [================================================== ================================================== ============== ] 25072/27696 90%
    (I've translate the error to english, so sorry for some mistake).

Any Idea of what's happening????

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LuisPT View Post
    Sorry to bump again, but I forgot to give details about the error that happens to me when I do command sudo cp -v ${CD}/${FS_DIR}/filesystem.manifest{,-desktop} in step D2.

(I've translate the error to english, so sorry for some mistake).

Any Idea of what's happening????
    The first problem is probably due to your shell being set as /bin/sh instead of /bin/bash. Since /bin/sh does not understand brace extension it does not interpret the command properly. To solve this problem try replacing the command with this:

Code:
    sudo cp -v ${CD}/${FS_DIR}/filesystem.manifest ${CD}/${FS_DIR}/filesystem.manifest-desktop

As for the second problem, I think it can be solved by replacing the following command in step D.3:

Code:
    sudo umount ${WORK}/rootfs/dev
    with this commmand:

Code:
    sudo mount --move ${WORK}/rootfs/dev /dev

Beans

hello capink, I finally got back to what I was working on say... 5? months ago. Well after scratching my head, reading your guide, a few times, I finally made my livecd based off ubuntu 8.04.1 (its not done yet) but I have a working copy. You're guide is awesome! It was easier then I thought after words, I still have a few things to fix though, just small things I can figure out with time.

EDIT: I have a few questions though, while installing from the livecd ubiquity gave me a error, (I didn't record the msg) but it installed just fine, have you encountered that problem? I'll reinstall it in virtualbox again to report it.

the files that are placed in /etc/skel/ are they copied to every new user that is created?
    Last edited by chris4585; August 7th, 2008 at 11:13 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chris4585 View Post

EDIT: I have a few questions though, while installing from the livecd ubiquity gave me a error, (I didn't record the msg) but it installed just fine, have you encountered that problem? I'll reinstall it in virtualbox again to report it.

the files that are placed in /etc/skel/ are they copied to every new user that is created?
    I think the error you are talking about is related to ubiquity looking for language packages to install from a local repository on the cd. Since we have not created this repository on the cd it gives the error. Maybe this can be solved by preseeding ubiquity. I might try it in the future as I am busy at the moment. The important thing is that it does not affect the installation process.

As for your second question, yes. The files are copied from /etc/skel to newly created user home directory.

Hope it will go smooth for you and you will enjoy your cutom made distro.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chris4585 View Post

I think the error you are talking about is related to ubiquity looking for language packages to install from a local repository on the cd. Since we have not created this repository on the cd it gives the error. Maybe this can be solved by preseeding ubiquity. I might try it in the future as I am busy at the moment. The important thing is that it does not affect the installation process.

As for your second question, yes. The files are copied from /etc/skel to newly created user home directory.

I Hope it will go smooth for you and you will enjoy your cutom made distro.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by capink View Post

I Hope it will go smooth for you and you will enjoy your cutom made distro.
    Thank you for replying and answering my questions. Ok the system seems to install just fine, besides that error, and when i'm using the system from hard disk nothing appears to be wrong.

Thanks again for the amazing guide and help

Beans

I am facing a weird problem.
    I tried this guide for the first time and everything worked fine.
    It generated a live ISO, which was working perfectly.

Now, using the same environment, with a couple of amendmends, i ran the procedure again for the Live ISO, but now my installation gets held up on the step:

"4. Convert the directory tree into a squashfs:"

The installer runs smoothly but gets held up at 96%.
    No matter how long i wait, it does not resume.
    I have to Ctrl+C to resume operations.

What do you think can the problem be ?

root@opennms-liveCD:~# sudo mksquashfs ${WORK}/rootfs ${CD}/${FS_DIR}/filesystem.${FORMAT}
    Parallel mksquashfs: Using 1 processor
    Creating little endian 3.1 filesystem on /home/opennms/Desktop/sample/cd/casper/filesystem.squashfs, block size 131072.
    [================================================== ========================================= ] 108436/112061 96%

Beans

I don't know what is the cause of your problem. Maybe it is because the command is trying to append to the old squashfs instead of creating a new one. If this is the reason, then it can be solved by either deleting the old squashfs or replacing the command with the following:

Code:
    sudo mksquashfs ${WORK}/rootfs ${CD}/${FS_DIR}/filesystem.${FORMAT} -noappend

Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast