Thread: [SOLVED] What are the virtual alternatives?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

[SOLVED] What are the virtual alternatives?

Hi guys....i've installed Innotek VirtualBox on my NEC Versa S3200....but i don't like the way it works....and i cannot install VMWare since a message says this:
    VMware Player cannot be installed on your computer type (i386). Either the application requires special hardware features or the vendor decided to not support your computer type.

What is another good virtual machine alternative?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: What are the virtual alternatives?

qemu is an option but it can only run Linux virtual machines.

I think that you should try to troubleshoot the VMware error message however. As long as you have a standard machine--and i386 is definitely standard--it should work. I don't know how you tried to install VMware, but there are plenty of guides online on getting VMware it installed in Linux, so you should check them out before giving up. VMware is especially nice because it supports hardware acceleration (still in beta mode, but it generally works reliably enough), so you can even play games inside your virtual machine if you're into that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Check out the Virtualization forum, as it will provide you with many alternatives and lots of information.

Good luck!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=582729
    Last edited by randy78; February 7th, 2008 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Link Correction
    Helping people crawl out of their *******...
    Please read THIS before asking if Anti-Virus and Firewalls are needed.

Beans
    Distro

MMMMMmmm i think i might try again to install Vmware as you've suggested but not from the repo: that's where i'm getting the error msg from..
    thanks m8..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

yes, I seem to recall having trouble with the VMware package in the repository as well. Look for directions online; they work better.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pytheas22 View Post
    yes, I seem to recall having trouble with the VMware package in the repository as well. Look for directions online; they work better.
    I'm presently downloading from Softpedia the VMWare version 2.0.1 and was reading Igor Weblog page on how to install....will tell you how it goes. cheers.

Beans
    Distro

Re: What are the virtual alternatives? HELP

....things are not going smoothly: i've followed the instructions as per tutorial over here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VMware/Server
    ...but when i enter this line in the terminal i get this

Code:
    nicola@ubuntu:~$ cp vmware-any-any-update115/*.tar vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/
    cp: cannot create regular file `vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmblock.tar': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmmon.tar': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmnet.tar': Permission denied
    nicola@ubuntu:~$
    ....and if i carry on with the installation at the end it gets aborted. Any advice?? this goes over my basic knowledge...

SOLVED: just needed a simple SUDO...
    Last edited by nikolas68; February 7th, 2008 at 11:31 AM.