Thread: Hello from a ubuntu user in Dublin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hello from a ubuntu user in Dublin

Just wanted to give a shout out n say hello.

I have been around these forums for some time. I thought I had another user name and pw that I used over a year ago, but alias, I cant recall it.

I have a blog dedicated to ubuntu and ireland related. Its embarrassingly not updated regular. Its a simple blogger account with a registered domain www.ubuntuireland.org which cost me something silly like 7 euro for a year

something about me:
    From my first introduction to a Commodore 128 computer (way back then), I was hooked. Moving on, the almighty Amiga 500 & A1200...After Amiga went bust, the ole windows 95 was hitting the streetz. Kinda stayed on that bandwagon up to xp. But in between that I bought BeOS, SuSe 8.2 and downloaded red hat 7.3 (I think it was that..dialup **cringe**). Recently (last 2 or 3 years) I've been on the linux trip, actively following the top distributions. Ubuntu didn't really raise any eyebrows initially, but over time, I gave in to its popularity and jumped on. Enjoying the ride at the moment and get a real kick out of it every 6 months. I have to say, linux Mint, is a fine distro too...

I use ubuntu 100% for my daily computing needs. I have 2 desktop computers. One is ubuntu and the other is XP (games and lightroom, oh and lightscribe).

I have written a small article on using ubuntu and why its cool. I hope to send this to free newspapers that get distributed to peoples homes. E.G The Northside PEOPLE / The Southside PEOPLE here in Dublin.

Its a very generic article and can be really published in any newspaper. The pdf attached has the text. Maybe you can let me know what you think of it or even better, send me an email address of YOUR local newspaper web address or editors email address, so I can put it to them. I have high resolution pictures which you will notice are not in the pdf

Thanks....
    Derek
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Hello from a ubuntu user in Dublin

Hi Derek,

this article can be a great contribution. It'd make ordinary people realize that there is an alternative to Windows and Mac.

Just a few suggestions before you decide to send it to editors...

- Ubuntu Linux, rather than "Linux Ubuntu"
    - Evolution is the default Email Client
    - personally I'd rather concentrate on the alternatives, Photoshop, Corel - GIMP, Inkscape andI leave out "If you couldn't live without programs like Adobe Photoshop or commercial games, then maybe its not for you.Too bad, but the positive side is that you now have a choice." Bad marketing

The article is very good. It'd do it's job as it's kept simple for any potential reader.

Now, lets hear from the other team members what they think about it...
    My Blog | Irish Ubuntu Community
    Registered Linux User #401535 | Registered Ubuntu User #13516

Beans
    Hidden!

Nice article. You might have some luck getting this published in some of the student union papers that are around colleges? They are generally looking for things to publish and we all know students love free stuff! It would be really cool if we had a stack of Ubuntu CD's to give away with it also.

It might also be worth a mention that it will run smoother on older PCs and Laptops that Windows, perhaps buying you some time before you have to upgrade? Another reason to switch to Linux!

Keep up the good work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Good stuff...
    You know, when I was saving it out as pdf I was looking at the text and the part of "it may not be for you" and thought...thats not so good
    Thankfully its gone now.

I have modified it slightly with good advice from here. thanks

I didn't think of student union magazines. Thats one ill definitely get out to!

The article it just about ready. But its obvious i could do with help getting it out to more audiences.
    I'm quite happy to send this around. Its just the sources i find takes time to look into. i.e. sending to the right person.

Thanks for the feedback. I have attached my slight modifications....
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by bonglord View Post
    Nice article. You might have some luck getting this published in some of the student union papers that are around colleges? They are generally looking for things to publish and we all know students love free stuff! It would be really cool if we had a stack of Ubuntu CD's to give away with it also.
    Keep up the good work.
    This is a brilliant idea, bonglord!

Maybe we should combine this article with a free CDs give away in one of the colleges in Dublin... there is a way to get a bigger package of Ubuntu CDs for the Team https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoGettingCds

Of course volunteers would be needed, and it probably would have to be a Saturday.

We could discuss this at the first of our regular IRC meetings.
    My Blog | Irish Ubuntu Community
    Registered Linux User #401535 | Registered Ubuntu User #13516

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hey,

Well I completed what I originally wanted to do.
    Write a small article for local free newspapers.
    Last night I emailed about 38 different local news papers around Ireland with a cover note about the article.

In fairness some local newspapers would only be about farming n stuff but sure why not.
    All i ask is that you keep an eye out over the next few weeks to see if its in your local one that I may have sent it to.
    Here is a snapshot of the papers it went to:

http://www.esatclear.ie/~kiss/blog/a...Screenshot.png

Ok, so my next step is to gather (somehow) all the student unions in Ireland...

cheers
    D