Thread: VMware in gutsy 7.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

VMware in gutsy 7.10

I am trying to install vmware in Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 and not getting anywhere, I have tried the tar.gz files but that hasn't worked either. I am still learning so it may be user error. I want to start using Ubuntu at work to lower some costs and this would really help. I have also tried from Add/Remove and that doesn't work either. Does anyone have any suggestions or a good tutorial?

Thanks for you time.
    I love it when I can't see the obvious because I'm distracted by it beating me in the face.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: VMware in gutsy 7.10

Quote Originally Posted by evolving_monkey View Post
    I am trying to install vmware in Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 and not getting anywhere, I have tried the tar.gz files but that hasn't worked either. I am still learning so it may be user error. I want to start using Ubuntu at work to lower some costs and this would really help. I have also tried from Add/Remove and that doesn't work either. Does anyone have any suggestions or a good tutorial?

Thanks for you time.
    I never did get VMWare working myself. VirtualBox on the other hand, installed and worked like it should right off the bat.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Moved to Virtualization forum.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I have tried VirtualBox but it doesn't seem as stable as virtual machine. VirtualBox crashed on me where as virtual machine didn't in 7.04.
    I love it when I can't see the obvious because I'm distracted by it beating me in the face.

Beans

You have to enable 3rd party partner software options. system>admin>software sources. then search for VMware server in Synaptic Package Manager. It should pop right up. Worked for me, hope this helps
    Last edited by Parvo; May 25th, 2008 at 05:23 AM.

Beans

I've installed via the tar.gz from vmware's website (vmware-server) without problem. I guess sometimes you need a vmware-any-any patch, but how far do you get with the ./vmware-install.pl ? any specific errors, etc...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks Parvo, that worked. It installed and worked without a problem. I'll build a few this week and see how it goes.

I think I'll play with a few of the other options. I didn't realize there were that many virtualization options out there now.

Beans

Re: VMware in gutsy 7.10+USB!?

Hi, I wondering if anybody knows how to read and use the usb ports form within a windows xp virtual machine on Ubuntu 7,10 using the vmware server.
    The poor xp doens't see the pendrives upon connection.
    thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I know it worked for me in Feisty but I haven't had a chance to try it in Gutsy yet. When I was looking for an answer to this question I remember reading a few things about USB. Some of it suggested that a few of the virtualization options have trouble with USB. If I find anything that looks like an answer I'll post back.
    Last edited by evolving_monkey; February 4th, 2008 at 05:12 AM.

Beans

Re: VMware in gutsy 7.10+USB!?

You have to first add the USB controller in the VM -> Settings dialogue

You can now plug in your pendrive and Ubuntu will initially mount it. You *may* need to umount it i am not sure, however you should now be able to see it in vmware, but likely have to connect to it in the VM -> Removable Devices -> USB Devices menu ..

once you connect it, it should be available.

i think you can automate this as well by telling ubuntu (somehow) to ignore this deviceID, and then telling vmware (presumably in the vmx) make this deviceid available