Thread: Java game project

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Java game project

I am working on a game library for Java. I only migrated to Ubuntu a few months ago (woohoo!), so I'm not very familiar with the way open source projects are handled. I have started working on the library ("CyGameLib") and used it to create a functional game called "Dveurak the Dwarven Miner". I'll post links soon, but I'd like to know how I could get others working on the project.

I don't have that much time on the computer (about an hour a day), and my code is a little messy. I'm sure that others could optimise the project!

Beans

Re: Java game project

The stickies have a bit of information on starting/joining projects.

Beans

http://producingoss.com/

Here is an excellent book on the dynamics of OSS, including how to start a project and how to attract contributors.
    Last edited by ZylGadis; February 4th, 2008 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Addition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Thanks for the links, I'll take a look around. Will I run into any trouble using Java? I've tried using C++, but I find Java easier to use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Java handles memory for you, so it is simpler.

But I would not recomment either C++ or Java as first language for beginner - they are both way too complicated and force programmer to handle many minor details.

Python is much simpler to learn, yet powerful enough to handle many common tasks, for little speed penalty. This speed difference might be totally negligible when programming datatbase apps or web processing, and for many projects is good bargain (ie Google uses Python a lot for code except indexing and generating result pages, where speed is critical).

See stickies and wiki in my sig for links to tutorials and training tasks.