Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The best KDE 4 distro?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: The best KDE 4 distro?

Another vote for openSUSE (just upgraded to 4.0.1) , but I'd also have to say that no one really has a true KDE 4 distro at this point. It's just kind of KDE 4 on top of whatever you had before. You don't really have that last layer of polish quite yet. We're going to really have to wait for the next release cycles to hit to see true KDE 4 integration (OpenSUSE 11, Kubuntu 8.04...).
    Don't Panic!
    Practice safe text. Never run a command unless you know exactly what it is going to do.
    Ubuntu User #1132
    Linux User #417929

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AlanR8 View Post
    Been running Kubuntu for over a year now and I would NOT describe KDE as slow.....
    Used Kubuntu for half a year and then switched to Fedora's KDE and then Arch's. Kubuntu felt pretty slow compared to them.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

OpenSUSE has a good KDE4 and it is very simple to install. I'm using Arch Linux with the KDE4 repo, oh and by the way, KDEmod4 is testing at the moment:

http://kdemod.ath.cx/bbs/viewtopic.php?id=406
    Current distro: Kubuntu 11.04 + KXStudio

Beans

Fedora 9 alpha has a KDE4 liveCD now, I tested it a bit last night without installing and it seemed stable and responsive. I'll test the compositing features once I have it installed.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

KDE runs pretty weel in Kubuntu for me. I haven't tried any other distros though, :-/

Beans
    Hidden!

I've tried openSUSE and have always found their KDE implimentation to be streets ahead of the competition.

Kubuntu is one of the worst KDE distro's there is.

I still prefer my ubuntu though
    If someone tells you to sudo rm -rf ANYTHING, then DO NOT DO IT!

Don't run any command with rm in it unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I havent really used KDE so I can't really say. All that I know is that because I'm really wanting to try KDE4 I'm starting on april 24, the day Kubuntu hardy comes out (to the best of my knowledge) Also is switching from Gnome to KDE as hard as the switch from windows to ubuntu? Or is it relatively easy.

P.S. can I install from the openSUSE livecd?
    Last edited by -gabe-noob-; February 26th, 2008 at 11:26 PM.
    Someone call a doctor to crack open my rib cage and repair my broken heart...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by -gabe-noob- View Post
    P.S. can I install from the openSUSE livecd?
    Yes, the live cd is based on openSUSE 10.3 with KDE 4.0.1 packages on top and can be installed directly from the live session. My advice: If you are an early adopter and know what to expect from KDE 4.0 (and what not) then go for it otherwise I'd wait until 4.1.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Why is 4 buggy? I was thinking about making a major switch to KDE when Kubuntu 8.04 comes out, but I may just use openSUSE or Debian. Also is themeing as easy in KDE as it is in Gnome, and do compositing effects work on it?
    Someone call a doctor to crack open my rib cage and repair my broken heart...

Beans

Smile Re: The best KDE 4 distro?

I would vote for OpenSUSE or Mandriva
    Mandriva is in close development with KDE and follows default KDE settings while Kubuntu brakes things so KDE user cannot follow normal documents but need to read Kubuntu users own.

PCLinuxOS is one great distribution with KDE4. So big difference in quality, that i change to KDE4 from KDE3 for now on, thanks to Mandriva.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast