• Young

140 8.82%
  • None of your business

28 1.76%
  • Get off my lawn.

108 6.81%
Page 350 of 358 FirstFirst ... 250300340348349350351352 ... LastLast
Results 3,491 to 3,500 of 3575

Thread: What is your age and what do you use ubuntu for?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: What is your age and what do you use ubuntu for?

The longer I avoid this thread the older I get!

57, and I use *Kubuntu* (hope that counts) for just about every thing I can.

The basics:
    email, web surfing, music, watching movies, you tube

Development:
    Python apps, piddly web pages, a bit of javascript

Work:
    Development again, built a wxPython app for field use -- even though it'll be used on Windows, it was just easier to do most of the development using my linux tools.
    Creating graphics and reports -- I have to put them on Windows eventually, but I hold off on that as long as I can. I HATE the "ribbon interface".

Home away from home:
    I work 300 miles from home and spent most of my nights in motel rooms. I'd truly go crazy without my Linux laptop.

At home:
    My wife runs Unity on her desktop, and I run Xubuntu on mine. We have side-by-side computing stations, where she works on her projects and I work on mine. She's an artist, and I'm building a studio for her. I did all the plans using Libre Office Draw. Nice and simple, and does what I tell it to. Unless I tell it to pick up a hammer and a saw...

Beans

I am 25 and i uses Ubuntu for my office work, listening music and other network related issues. Its great. Sometime you faces the compatibility problems but ya ..that's ok. I have online it-support they resolve these issues very quickly. Austin Computer

Beans

14 years old here. And female. Using hypervisors and ubuntu to maintain the servers here at our school with the help of my computer teacher. Computers teachers "pet". lol. We have half of the computers here set up with windows 7 and a few computers set up with ubuntu 12.10 for the more advanced computer users. I use ubuntu for everything, gaming, surfing the web, the only thing that ties me to windows 7 at the moment is the lack of native games for linux and our ubuntu builds. Wine works, but if your are already on a hypervisor, its easier to just switch over to windows, and its faster than WINE. Using the ubuntu-gnome remix at the moment.

Most computer students our age are in android development and developing apps on the android google "playstore" right now. A few are into kernel development on android devices. Right now we are looking to bring more "native" linux games to ubuntu hopefully. Steam has ported some games over, as younger students we use both windows and linux fluently, and are not bias against one OS over another. Both OSes need more work in debugging and development IMHO.
    Last edited by meteorrock; March 13th, 2013 at 07:34 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BlinkinCat View Post

But d'you know, I just can't remember if I have posted on this thread before - ah well
    It's this new forum, confuses the crap out of me too...
    Last edited by pinballwizard; March 13th, 2013 at 11:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

78. Started pc's in 1982. Mostly use linux for general web browsing, news from US, UK, Australia, you name it, news videos, tv listings, copying articles on health and politics (try putting selections from long article with graphics into Libre writer with a tablet..!..).

Looking around at various Liinux's. Usually using ubuntu/unity. No fan of Unity. Why limit the PC to only what a "smartphone" can do? Yes, I have tablets, blazes faster at simple browsing lousy for input even with added keyboards.

Looking for another desktop besides unity. Linux mint 14 is O.K., haven't tried any of the latest ubuntu gnome flavors yet - have they settled down yet?

Haven't tried ChromeOS. Google seems wedded to stealing all of my data and putting it up there in a cloud for hackers, spamers, and greeding marketers to use at my expense.

I've been Ubuntu+1 bug posting since Dapper Drake beta.

Beans

I'm 29 and I use Ubuntu for everything. Watching movies, listening music, accounts, word processing , surfing and keeping in touch with friends.

Beans
    Hidden!

Talking Re: What is your age and what do you use ubuntu for?

21.c,c++,java programming,shell programming using vim editor,vlc media player to watch movies,deluge torrent client to download torrents,web browsing using google chrome,opera,mozilla firefox,cairo-dock,terminal

Beans

im 25 and i use ubuntu and lubuntu on my lower spec machines because it runs nice and fast compared to windows and mac on older machines

also like libra office as i can get my study work done and typed without worrying about a high cost or annoying "not genuine" message that gets ignored anyways lol (i mean i dont use pirate software )

also think linux will boom with the ablilites and cost

Beans

14. I don't really use Linux for one specific purpose. I basically just use it as a permanent alternative to Windows. What I do like to do in my spare time however, includes; Programming in C++ and Java, Browsing numerous Forum sites, Photo/Video editing, Media/File servers, and FTP Servers. I also help out one of my friends (Who is a Network Administrations student) make a game server during our spare time. I have numerous skills when it comes to computers, but my best would probably be graphics designing. I used to beta test new operating systems at one stage but decided to stick to the one OS. I also spend a lot of time on facebook. (unfortunately) :c

I have Ubuntu and Backtrack on a dual boot set-up on my HP G62 notebook, and I have Ubuntu 12.10 installed on my Macbook. (Which I use for school)
    Last edited by LynNicks; March 14th, 2013 at 12:43 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I'm 50 years old. I use it for everything except 2 pieces of software that run in WINE and two more that don't. But this time I'm setting up a virtual environment so I don't get sucked back into using a dual-boot.

I love Linux and my everyday basic uses are to:
    • scan and repair family photos
      write letters
      watch movies (also as a home media pc)
      social networking
      home inventory
      rip and play music
      sync and backup my phone data
      track family health care records
      recipe and menu planning
      read digital magazines and books
      email
      just plain surfing around.
    Last edited by packrat1; March 19th, 2013 at 03:46 PM.

Page 350 of 358 FirstFirst ... 250300340348349350351352 ... LastLast