• Young

140 8.82%
  • None of your business

28 1.76%
  • Get off my lawn.

108 6.81%
Page 355 of 358 FirstFirst ... 255305345353354355356357 ... LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,550 of 3575

Thread: What is your age and what do you use ubuntu for?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: What is your age and what do you use ubuntu for?

I'm 39, and I use Ubuntu for most everything. I recently got a "new to me pc" that had vista on it. I couldn't deal with the bugginess of vista, so I ordered some new Linux distros. I haven't been in the forums for a few years because I had happily configured older distros to do what I wanted and I dual booted with xp. Well, cinnamon and mate have driven me back, so thanks for all the future help! I am anxious to get my new computer configured just so. I have 8 live cd's on the way, but I'm sure I'll return to Ubuntu or Mint as usual. Oh, I also have used Ubuntu to set up computers for older family members and friends who are just learning how to email, etc. It has been a joy to bless them with a working computer without spending an arm and a leg to do so!

Oh, and I love the old Gnome games. Especially same gnome. Gotta find out how to add the old version to new ubuntu.
    Long live Adrian Monk and Blooregard Q. Kazoo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I'm 71 and run dual boot Ubuntu 12.04 Unity and Windows XP. I also run W7, under Virtualbox.
    The Windows systems are there for me to run on occasion to investigate problems that neighbours have with their XP and W7 systems, especially malware and occasionally hardware, and clean up and fix their systems at no charge.
    My main use of this laptop is to run Ubuntu 12.04 Unity that initially I did not like after being used to 10.04 Gnome.
    However I am now very happy with 12.04 Unity.
    Ununtu has always been a stable and consistent fast performing system.
    It is essential for me to run and keep track of my financial situation and also my lifestyle. I would be completely lost without it.
    I started using Ubuntu in 2008 with 8.04 Hardy Heron after trying out many Linux distros, including Mint, Fedora, OpenSUSE, DSL and Puppy.
    I found that I could make the appearance of Ubuntu 8.04 desktop and my use of Ubuntu similar to XP initially that made my transition from XP easier.
    I've stuck with Ubuntu since 2008. especially because of the helpful community and Forum.
    My background is 28 years in mainframe Systems Software development and I started using PCs at work as test tools for mainstream operating systems. So I have grown up through the use of DOS, Windows 3, 95, 98, NT, XP and OS/2.
    My wife ran XP briefly on her laptop and when I installed Ubuntu on it she has never gone back to want to use XP. She now runs 10.04 Gnome which of course went end of life in May this year. I'm considering installing 12.04 Unity as well on her laptop.
    ASUS ZenBook UX305 (Intel® Core™ M-5Y10c ) CPU @ 0.80GHz × 4, 8GiB RAM, 128GiB SSD, Ubuntu 18.04
    MSi CR620 (Novatech i3 Core i3-350M) 2.27GHz 2GiB RAM, 250GiB SSD, Ubuntu 18.04 & W10

Beans

I am 54. new to Ubuntu . want to use it for everything if I can .

Beans

I am aged 66. I switched over from Windows XP MCE, on a 6 years old HCL system at my home, to ubuntu 12.04 LTS and exploring various features of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.
    Last edited by vrveerapaneni; September 9th, 2013 at 01:23 PM. Reason: corrections in the content posted

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm 27 and I use Ubuntu for simple browsing and to, hopefully, better aquaint myself with using a commands to run an OS. Also, on another machine I use Xubuntu for my grandmother; it's super simple to modify the desktop so she can do what she is comfortable doing (e.g. usually just emails and solitaire).

Beans

I'm 55 and I use Ubuntu for everything you would usually use a computer for.

Now get off my Lawn.

Beans

i'm 29 and i like playing around with new operation systems. i have installed Ubuntu alongside windows vista on my VAIO laptop. I'm very pleased that i was able to make all the hardwares work in Ubuntu (it is note worthy that even with Sony drivers from the product support page, i could not make all things working, every time some functionality is lost such as Bluetooth, webcam and mostly Fn keys). I do usual stuff in Ubuntu, surf the web, install and uninstall applications from different sources and ways (software center, terminal , downloading .db packages and ...). i also watch movies (and i'm very pleased with the default player which plays almost any thing). and i managed to install exFat and MTP support (i know, its a simple task to do for you guys, but i'm a newbie and doing such things is so exciting for me!!!!) so i could use my external 2TB hard drive (which is contains an extensive movie, TV show and documentary archive !!!!) and also my Galaxy S3 works with ubuntu fine. so i do not feel any urges to go to my windows environment unless i have to work with Photoshop ( to be honest, I do not do pro works with it so i think i can find a good alternative for it in Linux)

Beans

I'm 44 and use Ubuntu for everything. I have branched out into other distributions in order to further my linux study but for day-to-day activity Ubuntu is my go-to OS.

Beans

Question Re: What is your age and what do you use ubuntu for?

I am 75 and I mainly use Xubuntu now. I switched from Ubuntu because it is much easier to find and add apps in X also I prefer the X interface. I was introduced to Xubuntu while working at FreeGeek in Portland. I use Windows when I cannot find the app I need. I am creating training material for use in Africa and am limited to Impress. I cannot afford the Windows CBT authoring systems and hope that someone will create one. If that happens I would generate CBT training for Xubuntu. If anyone out there is considering creating an open source CBT system, let me know at dv5hans@gmail.com.
    Last edited by dv5hans-a; September 26th, 2013 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Needing Help

Beans

I am old as time itself, and use Gnome Ubuntu 13.04 for all of my computing needs.

Page 355 of 358 FirstFirst ... 255305345353354355356357 ... LastLast