• Young

140 8.82%
  • None of your business

28 1.76%
  • Get off my lawn.

108 6.81%
Page 351 of 358 FirstFirst ... 251301341349350351352353 ... LastLast
Results 3,501 to 3,510 of 3575

Thread: What is your age and what do you use ubuntu for?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: What is your age and what do you use ubuntu for?

age 58; surfing the web, e-mail, gimp, inkscape, libreoffice, pdf+ocr-work, trying out programs, e-books, calibre, ripping my cds, converting videos, flashind android devices, some games.
    Last edited by pulpo69; March 19th, 2013 at 05:08 PM. Reason: add

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Use Ubuntu for: Everything. @ Work I use Ubuntu for research and study including surfing the web and online training, emails, testing OSes and software via LXC and KVM hosts (usually ubuntu or debian), for network design with Dia and writing configs and scripts for Linux servers and cisco/juniper network equipment.
    @ Home Ubuntu has my desktop and 2 servers. Anything that a windows user does, I do it on my Ubuntu desktop. I don't have enough time for games. If I did, I'd use Ubuntu. The desktop also handles my hobby of tuning into ham radio bands and watching the psk31 and rtty traffic with fldigi, and I use JackMixer to clean up some voice signals (that's just my odd-ball idea that seems to be helping with some weak signal reception). One Ubuntu server is a file server (via samba for the housemates and via sshfs for myself) where I keep all the households movies, TV shows and music safe, along with providing a backup location to the household. The other Ubuntu server is my virtualisation host, hosting lxc/ubuntu containers that provide dns, dhcp, nagios and syslog. The vhost also has a Windows 2012 test system that I am comparing to Samba4.
    I dream of a world where our lives can remain private, and our technology can remain open to all.

Beans

Who the hell would create an age poll and set an upper limit at 45?! (and a lower limit at 13 for that matter).

For some reason I find that the vast majority of polls created on forums always miss out obvious choices. People don't seem to think for more than 10 secs when they create a poll.

Beans

Age=64

Surfing the web, checking e-mail and since I live overseas now, getting the latest news and what's going on in the world. And my favorite thing since moving to Linux, playing 'Break my Linux ....Try to repair my Linux '

(I say Linux because for about the last 4 or so years, I was using Linux Mint (my introduction to Linux). Now I get to play the game on Ubuntu.)

Beans

Age = 54

Checking e-mail, Surfing the web, thats about it broke my ubuntu many times and fixed it also

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

22, I use it for most of my computing. It's the only OS on my laptop, and one of my desktops, as well is dual booted on my main desktop.

Beans

Everything. It used to be almost everything, except for certain music editing. I make 24 bit/96 khz recordings at concerts. In order for them to sound their best when converted to CD quality for musicians or friends who request copies, I resample them in r8brain Pro, dither them in Izotope Ozone 3 and resample them to 16 bit in a Samplitude or Audacity. My one big problem was making Ozone work in Linux. It's not actually a program but a series of audio mastering plugins that have to be hosted in a WAV editing program. The Linux version of Audacity wouldn't access Ozone installed under Wine, and Samplitude had its own problems. Finally I hit on the idea of installing the Windows version of Audacity, which had no troubles accessing Ozone (other than the fact that the authorization screen kept sending me back to the same website because it wasn't sending the necessary authorization info - but that was solved simply by closing the authorization box and VOILA up pops the Ozone screen, at my beck and call ).

So the good news is the last thread tying me to Windows has been snipped. I don' need it fer nuthin' save helping out friends who have their own Windows problems. Beyond the basics of browsing, email, social media, I use it for all types of video, as a music server playing the FLACs on my RAID over my stereo (which I access using x11vnc and Remmina), gaming (Open Arena, esp.) putting together my biweekly radio show and all my music editing needs. The bad news is most of the music conversion is being done with Windows programs running in Wine - Audacity, Ozone, r8brain Pro, Trader's Little Helper, Cool Edit Pro - because the Linux alternatives don't have the same reliability or features, or they simply don't exist (the native version of Audacity suffices for most pre-conversion editing). I'm grateful for the unpaid efforts of the Linux multimedia community, but the test of how good a program is is whether the pros are using it. The pros are using Cakewalk, Samplitude, Wavelab, Cubase, Protools - they don't want to hear about Ardour, where you can't even do something as basic as zoom to the sample level, or Audacity, which won't tell you the exact volume level of different points in a noise envelope. Like I said, I'm grateful for the work done, but I think the developers have to stop pretending it's bleeding edge when it's obvious on its face that it's not.

That said - to be free of the mindless vicissitudes of Microsoft, knowing I will never again get Ballmered by Redmond, trumps all. Free at last!

Oh right - 48, and get off my lawn!
    Last edited by Bill Tetzeli; March 25th, 2013 at 02:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

48 - using Ubuntu since the beginning for general web surfing, e-mail, document preparation, circuit design and correspondence.

Just regular stuff.
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans

i'm 20 m, i used ubuntu to learn open sources, because i can't buy a win***s os, i not enought money to buy original win***s, in my country a price is too expensive for students..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I am 72 - where is my 'tab'!!!

Page 351 of 358 FirstFirst ... 251301341349350351352353 ... LastLast