• Young

140 8.82%
  • None of your business

28 1.76%
  • Get off my lawn.

108 6.81%
Page 352 of 358 FirstFirst ... 252302342350351352353354 ... LastLast
Results 3,511 to 3,520 of 3575

Thread: What is your age and what do you use ubuntu for?

Beans

Re: What is your age and what do you use ubuntu for?

i'm 20 m, i used ubuntu to learn open sources, because i can't buy a win***s os, i not enought money to buy original win***s, in my country a price is too expensive for students..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I am 72 - where is my 'tab'!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm 31. I use Xubuntu on my desktop that sits in my living room dual booting with Windows 7. It's pretty much just a media center/gaming rig although most of the time I'm logged into Windows 7 on it due to better Netflix performance, actual DivX support in my browser and the fact that most of my games on Steam don't work on Linux... But when I am logged into Linux I like Ubuntu due to it's good proprietary hardware support as opposed to my normal distro of choice, Fedora, which all of my laptops run (except for one old one I never use that has Arch Linux & Openbox on it).

Beans

46. Ubuntu for experiments with friends laptops; Mint/Cinnamon to replace Windows for my business/interview/MBA/Instructor laptop. My other rig is Win 7.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm 51, there was no age group for 51 so I must be extingushed alreadyt. From your graph I am beyond old. Well I fell that way some days too. I see there are older than me so that makes me feel good too, it makes me feel young and a little less cranky!

I use Ubunto as my main OS now. I built a hackintosh, but since Mountain Lion came out it won't let me pay for it, it refuses to sell it to me, and I refuse to spend rediculous amounts of money on the same hardware I can get at a fraction of the price. I had Snow Leo runnnig great, but they stopped providing security updates for it. Steve Jobs God Rest him never would have done that with a relatively young OS, just to force people to buy their hardware! I don't run Windows never have,I understand it and can operate it but I fear their security mechanisms...(they don't give a rats ass about the end user, they hide vulnerabilities for months before releasing patches)

Ubunto has been good to me for the most part verion 12.04 that is. Version 12.10 has been an unrunnable nightmare, bug after bug, compiz kept quitting on me even with a NVidia GTX 650, that I had enough of 12.10, without compiz to me its useless. Just my two unvaluable cents.

John

Beans

I'm 16 and I've been using Ubuntu for about 3 years. I use it for everyday tasks and programming in Python. Ubuntu is one of those things where pretty much anybody of any age can use it with ease.

Beans

Proxy Server
    Zope server
    Virtual host
    ATM's
    Edubuntu for the kids

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I use it for
    - homework
    - note-taking
    - art creation
    - streaming
    - communication
    - retro gaming (N64 and below)
    - like... everything

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by David Ostrom View Post
    Voters: 1587. This poll is closed
    No vote 4 me..:(

Just turned 36, using (X)ubuntu for everything @work and @home; Windows is left on dual-boot for a few things, still, like:

• Dreamweaver
    • Photoshop (Adobe Suite), no replacement for it
    • Micro$oft Visio and MSO 2010 && 2013 (no replacement for it yet, unfortunately)
    • Homegroup for sharing network printers and such (still a bit difficult 2 configure in *nix)
    • Games, ofc.

PS.
    I'm running the Oracle VM VirtualBox, with Windows XP 64-Bit Service Pack 2, but it's very limited for what I need Windows for and also having only 4GB of RAM doesn't help much. :f

PPS.
    Oracle VM is set to use VDI and it's zer0-ed && compacted, something like this:
    Code:
    expertester.wordpress.com/2011/08/05/how-to-compact-virtualbox-vdi-virtual-disk-image-file/
    Edit: Teh Ubuntu installer is (very much) awesome, btw. Never had to partition the HDD, just freed some space at the end of the partition && used the installer option to install alongside of Windows! =)

(and reinstalling goes like 1) booting from the Windows CD, or USB, 2) selecting repair and running "bootrec /fixboot" and "bootrec /fixmbr" 3) booting to windows and removing the linux partitions and 4) running the (X)ubuntu install again :))
    Last edited by ka55o5; April 9th, 2013 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Added some info, at the end of post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I am 72 and use ubuntu for most of my web surfing as it is more secure. Also for learning about linux, have broken it a few times and had to re install. I have a windows laptop which is mainly used for outlook and I stick to that as so many systems have tools for accessing the contacts part of it ie. android phones. Also I prefer Access to any data bases I have found in linux. Plus Pinnacle is much easier to use, also Publisher has many more templates than scribus.
    Thank you

Brian.

Page 352 of 358 FirstFirst ... 252302342350351352353354 ... LastLast