Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone have any interest in creating IceBuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Anyone have any interest in creating IceBuntu?

I know Fluxbuntu is already in production and is at Release Candidate instead of 1.0

Both Damn Small Linux (Fluxbox) and Puppy Linux (IceWM) are excellent choices for people with low specs, but if someone wants something Ubuntu-based (with the same software repositories, release cycle, and sudo implementation) for an older computer, the only choices right now are Xubuntu, Fluxbuntu, or manual installation and configuration of IceWM (or some other window manager) manually.

If the forums' user base is any indication, Fluxbox is very popular among Ubuntu users, but there should be a significant enough number of us IceWM users to be able to put together a low-spec-friendly Ubuntu for IceWM users--IceBuntu.

I'm thinking it'd be an Alternate CD, since 64 or 128 MB of RAM may not be enough to run a live session and Ubiquity at the same time. Here's the problem: I don't know how to do it, so I'm asking the community to help out.

I've taken a look at Reconstructor, and as far as I can tell, it doesn't let you truly modify the installation the Alternate CD sets up--only add and remove packages. I wouldn't want IceBuntu to just be IceWM installed. It would be great to have some sensible configuration choices, a good default theme (ThinBlack, for example), and launcher icons for popular applications.

If you're interested in creating a IceBuntu disk or even, if it's easier, an IceBuntu metapackage, please post in this thread and let me know what you're willing to contribute and what you think IceBuntu should be like.

My technical know-how is a little weak, so I can contribute trying to coordinate people's efforts and maybe publicizing IceBuntu a bit on my Psychocats website.

Others?

Edit: It looks as if other people are much better at figuring out this ISO-remastering thing than I am. If you have torrents or other ideas you want to post up, please post them on the Ubuntu Wiki, since this thread is now becoming quite long.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DerivativeTe...tives/IceBuntu
    Last edited by aysiu; February 4th, 2008 at 06:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Anyone have any interest in creating IceBuntu?

Sounds like a very worthwhile project.

Perhaps these instructions might help.

Maybe start with the Xubuntu Alternate CD and strip out the XFCE bits and replace them with the required packages to create IceBuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by gn2 View Post
    Sounds like a very worthwhile project.

Perhaps these instructions might help.

Maybe start with the Xubuntu Alternate CD and strip out the XFCE bits and replace them with the required packages to create IceBuntu.
    So if I start with the Xubuntu Alternate CD, take out all the Xfce packages, replace them with IceWM packages, and then modify the configuration files in /tmp/newiso and create the new ISO from that, it should work?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

There's one easy way to find out, I've never tried, it just looks like a simple method.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by gn2 View Post
    There's one easy way to find out, I've never tried, it just looks like a simple method.
    I'll give it a shot and report back. Then the problem would be seeding the torrent. I guess I could just put it up on Psychocats as straight download for those who know how to seed torrents...

One step at a time, though...

Beans

Red face Re: Anyone have any interest in creating IceBuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    I know Fluxbuntu is already in production and is at Release Candidate instead of 1.0

Both Damn Small Linux (Fluxbox) and Puppy Linux (IceWM) are excellent choices for people with low specs, but if someone wants something Ubuntu-based (with the same software repositories, release cycle, and sudo implementation) for an older computer, the only choices right now are Xubuntu, Fluxbuntu, or manual installation and configuration of IceWM (or some other window manager) manually.

If the forums' user base is any indication, Fluxbox is very popular among Ubuntu users, but there should be a significant enough number of us IceWM users to be able to put together a low-spec-friendly Ubuntu for IceWM users--IceBuntu.

I'm thinking it'd be an Alternate CD, since 64 or 128 MB of RAM may not be enough to run a live session and Ubiquity at the same time. Here's the problem: I don't know how to do it, so I'm asking the community to help out.

I've taken a look at Reconstructor, and as far as I can tell, it doesn't let you truly modify the installation the Alternate CD sets up--only add and remove packages. I wouldn't want IceBuntu to just be IceWM installed. It would be great to have some sensible configuration choices, a good default theme (ThinBlack, for example), and launcher icons for popular applications.

If you're interested in creating a IceBuntu disk or even, if it's easier, an IceBuntu metapackage, please post in this thread and let me know what you're willing to contribute and what you think IceBuntu should be like.

My technical know-how is a little weak, so I can contribute trying to coordinate people's efforts and maybe publicizing IceBuntu a bit on my Psychocats website.

Others?
    Actually this already exist, it's called LinuxICE and it is based on Ubuntu.

The Distropedia article on LinuxICE is here.

The LinuxICE website is here.

While LinuxICE has what you desire, IceWM based on Ubuntu it is made for in car computers I am almost certain it would work on old PC's.

Also these LinuxICE guys I am sure would welcome any DEV help to come out with a community version that is just what you want.

The LinuxICE forum is here.

Instead of reinventing the wheel swing over to LinuxICE and offer to help.

RAV TUX

Beans

Also LinuxICE Torrent and download mirrors are here:

Torrent

Mirrors:

Mirror 1

Mirror 2

Mirror 3

Mirror 4

Mirror 5

I hope this helps, if LinuxICE is not what you were thinking and you still want to make a ICEbuntu, I am sure many here including myself would enjoy an aysui version of an IceWM/Ubuntu distro.

Having witnessed first hand Rui Pais building the Oz OS RC I would consult Rui for a quick HOWTo, somewhere Rui posted a helpful post on this, if I find it I will let you know.
    Last edited by RAV TUX; February 1st, 2008 at 11:00 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by RAV TUX View Post
    Actually this already exist, it's called LinuxICE and it is based on Ubuntu.

The Distropedia article on LinuxICE is here.

The LinuxICE website is here.

While LinuxICE has what you desire, IceWM based on Ubuntu it is made for in car computers I am almost certain it would work on old PC's.

Also these LinuxICE guys I am sure would welcome any DEV help to come out with a community version that is just what you want.

The LinuxICE forum is here.

Instead of reinventing the wheel swing over to LinuxICE and offer to help.

RAV TUX
    Thanks for that link, RAV TUX. You know more about distro availability than anyone else here probably.

While I would love to avoid "reinventing the wheel," it may actually be more work to modify LinuxICE than to modify normal Ubuntu:
    Kernel:
    -Suspend2 built in
    -touchscreen support
    -support for common usb->serial devices

Packages:
    -GPS support
    -NavIt GPS application
    -Carman ODB-II statistics monitoring
    -Samba
    -SSH

Light Window Manager:
    -MatchBox

xorg:
    -evtouch driver built in with calibrator

front-end:
    -nGhost Media Center Beta 0.95

codecs (possibly included proprietary codecs):
    -dvd support
    It looks as if they've highly customized the kernel and xorg specifically for an in-car interface.

I'm going to start off with gn2's suggestion, but I'll keep LinuxICE in mind.

Beans

Glad to help please see my edit to my second post, I believe Rui ran into time consuming problems with reconstructor, it may not be the right direction.

I believe Rui built Oz OS by "hand" using the terminal which is less constricting then other ways.

...but before I mis-represent let me contact Rui and see if he can help with a proper response.

Edit to second post:
    Quote Originally Posted by RAV TUX View Post
    I hope this helps, if LinuxICE is not what you were thinking and you still want to make a ICEbuntu, I am sure many here including myself would enjoy an aysui version of an IceWM/Ubuntu distro.

Having witnessed first hand Rui Pais building the Oz OS RC I would consult Rui for a quick HOWTo, somewhere Rui posted a helpful post on this, if I find it I will let you know.

Beans
    Hidden!

Not interested personally, but if you go this route I would suggest looking to the Eee source code for some ideas on how to make IceWM more attractive. It's the only instance of IceWM that I've really liked.

One good feature of IceWM that isn't in Gnome or (to my knowledge) KDE is built-in minimize to tray capabilities for every application.

Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast