Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Japanese Input and Fonts in Ubuntu 7.10

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Japanese Input and Fonts in Ubuntu 7.10

Just noticed that this guide no longer works with inputting Japanese in non-GTK programs (Skype for example) in a new install of 8.04. Nor does the UIM panel display in Gnome's panel or appear in the menu bar... although you can still input Japanese (in GTK programs) by pressing the key-combination.

It all worked fine in 8.04 beta, though.....

Any ideas would be welcome.
    Last edited by tora201; April 28th, 2008 at 04:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by tora201 View Post
    Just noticed that this guide no longer works with inputting Japanese in non-GTK programs (Skype for example) in a new install of 8.04. Nor does the UIM panel display in Gnome's panel or appear in the menu bar... although you can still input Japanese (in GTK programs) by pressing the key-combination.

It all worked fine in 8.04 beta, though.....

Any ideas would be welcome.
    It works for me in Skype (though the characters look like crap) for a clean install of Hardy. However, the UIM panel isn't showing up in the bar like it did for me in Gutsy. I get a single keyboard icon that let's me select the input language, instead of the four icons I had before. It all seems to work, so I'm not complaining ... just thought I'd mention it.

ryokent-さんに、ご教示ありがとうございます。助かりました。

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dr_bovine View Post
    It works for me in Skype (though the characters look like crap) for a clean install of Hardy. However, the UIM panel isn't showing up in the bar like it did for me in Gutsy. I get a single keyboard icon that let's me select the input language, instead of the four icons I had before. It all seems to work, so I'm not complaining ... just thought I'd mention it.

Strange.. I will re-install and see if I can't fix this. Annoying, but oh well! Cheers for the input -- it should work, then!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dr_bovine View Post

Oh... by the way, it still did not work after a clean install. When reading your message again, I realized you are probably talking about SCIM.(from the description of the keyboard item). I guess SCIM works better than UIM, then? Somebody care to elaborate or clear this up? So, SCIM now suddenly works with SKYPE and UIM doesn't? Or, I am just confused?

Beans

Ok... to solve this problem (and use UIM, which works in ALL non-GTK applications, including Skype btw), I re-installed 8.04 beta 4, and then followed the guide presented in the first post of this thread. After that, I did a distro-upgrade to Hardy 8.04 Final and all is now fine.

Oh, one thing: while I did install all the extra Japanese fonts (including the Microsoft ones) I did not alter the font settings. (latter part of the first post). I find that Hardy works very well in Japanese sites without changes, with the display very similar to or if not better than Vista - smooth and pleasing to the eye. Just make sure that if you are using a LCD, you change to sub-pixel smoothing in system --> appearance. Anyway, pleased to have it all set up perfectly now.

Last edited by tora201; May 3rd, 2008 at 01:42 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I've done a new guide for Hardy. It's with SCIM this time as SCIM seems to be default and compatibility problems have been solved. Please note that a number of changes have been made. If you're using hardy, I strongly recommend using the new tutorial.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=812552

UIM guide is to follow.... when I have time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hi, very nice tutorial!! I executed it a few weeks ago and it worked just fine.

I am learning japanese just for fun and I don't study a lot. I don't want UIM toolbar to load in my tray anymore. How do I revert it? And how can I enable it when I want to use it?

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Marlon,

im-switch -c

Will give you a list of input methods on a menu and allow you to select the one you want. Running it under sudo should allow changes to the root user.

Select none to turn off uim and run the command again to put it back to uim if you want.

Also, good luck with the Japanese!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thank you... got it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

こんにちは
    Is there a way to enable handwrite recognition pad using this tutorial? I've used it when I had Hardy installed, but I came back to Gutsy due some hardware compatibility problems (random freezes).
    This feature would be a lot of useful to me, I'm just beginning my japanese studies, so I don't know the readings of the kanjis.
    ありがとうございます

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast