Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hello new windows user!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Hello new windows user!

Hey, thanks John. I'll check that out!
    Last edited by jcparker500; January 31st, 2008 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Horrible typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

If anyone wants an easy and quick way to get Ubuntu doing the things you're used to in Windows, check out my how-to.

I wrote it with newbies in mind. Hope it helps.

Nathan

Beans
    Distro

That is some great stuff, RO, Thanks!!

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jcparker500 View Post
    No, I didn't. See my point? From the title of this thread, and that fact that it says right at the top of the first post that it is for Windows users new to Ubuntu, I would have assumed that these would have been simple programs that someone who was a novice to Linux would be able to understand.

I am glad that to hear that there are one click installs out there. So far (in my 1 day of looking!) I have not found any. Perhaps a thread for people migrating from Windows to Linux would be more appropriate to have links of those sort to really help us along. Just a suggestion.

I am not trying to be a jerk here, I promise. I am just a living example of one of the problems with Linux - the Linux community *in general* seems to think that the rest of the world is as technically computer savvy as they are.
    well for more info on software management please see this thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I have to disagree about "Linux being different, not hard." (Please note that I am not bashing Linux here. I just installed it today and I plan on sticking with it, but there is a HUGE learning curve). People *don't* just use Windows because it comes installed on their computers. They use it because it is easy. I have a B.S. degree in Computer Systems Management, and have worked the IT field for 10 years. All of my exposure has been in the Windows environment though, so I do not know Linux. Now, let me give you an example.

In Windows, if I want to install a program, I download it, double-click on an executable, and it installs itself. 5 minutes later I click on an icon and I am up and running.

The first message in this thread recommended a program for your iPod, gtkpod. I downloaded it and extracted the files from the archive. I browsed to the folder it placed them, and was presented with a bunch of files I have no idea what to do with. I see one file called, "Install" and think to myself, oh, that must be the installer. I double-clicked on the Install file, and find myself reading a text file. Here are some excerpts from it:

What??? What the heck does any of that mean? I'm not trying to be funny here, Thats all gibberish to me!

It goes on...

Code:
    As a practical example, let's say the libmp4v2 software was
       installed in $HOME/Applications/mpeg4ip and the libid3tag software
       was installed in $HOME/Applications/libid3tag, and you want to
       install gtkpod into $HOME/Applications/gtkpod.  Do this instead:

CFLAGS="-I$HOME/Applications/mpeg4ip/include -L$HOME/Applications/mpeg4ip/lib -I$HOME/Applications/libid3tag/include -L$HOME/Applications/libid3tag/lib" ./configure --prefix=$HOME/Applications/gtkpod ; make ; make install
    Since none of this means any sense to me, I don't know what I am going to do. Certainly not install this program.

No, it is not even close to being as easy as Windows. If a professional computer analyst struggles with it, how is a novice, like most of the rest of the world is, supposed to know what the heck it takes to do something like install this simple little program?

More stable than Windows? Yes. Uses less resources than Windows? Yes. Can you do anything in Linux that you can do in Windows? I'll take your word on it, yes. It is as user friendly as Windows? Not even close - doesn't compare. And *that* is why the general public uses Windows. Wish me luck in learning this thing!
    Dude, you started out with a hard time. Usually I would prefer something that was in the packages manager first. Therefore you get the feel of installing before you try compiling. I learned the hard way and I thought Linux was the hardest OS ever. Until I got internet. lololol

You should try some basic terminal commands, download from synaptic, and play around with stuff that you might enjoy Once you get the hang of that, then try compiling.

Its not hard really, You just need to remember the steps.
    Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    I have a BA degree in English, and I have never worked in the IT field. Almost all of my exposure has been in Windows environments. I've had to use Macs a little bit as well. Everything I know about Linux is from the internet. Now, let me give you an example.

In Ubuntu, if I want to install a program, I go to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager, I search for the name or description of the program, mark it for installation, and then click Apply. A minute and a half later, it's installed and ready to run.
    No, I didn't. See my point? From the title of this thread, and that fact that it says right at the top of the first post that it is for Windows users new to Ubuntu, I would have assumed that these would have been simple programs that someone who was a novice to Linux would be able to understand.

I am glad that to hear that there are one click installs out there. So far (in my 1 day of looking!) I have not found any. Perhaps a thread for people migrating from Windows to Linux would be more appropriate to have links of those sort to really help us along. Just a suggestion.

I am not trying to be a jerk here, I promise. I am just a living example of one of the problems with Linux - the Linux community *in general* seems to think that the rest of the world is as technically computer savvy as they are.
    Do you know how old I am? Do you know how long I've been with Ubuntu? I have only been with Ubuntu for 1 year and I had some of the most troubling times installing Ubuntu. I'm only 16 and I felt like no one was helping me. Sure, their are some programs that need compiling and all that other stuff but that is only some. Most programs are compiled into a nice deb. package. I don't think that the Linux community seems that the rest of the world is as computer savvy. I think that Linux community sees the world as a world that can improve. Trust me, were not all that computer savvy (though some actually are) we just toke a chance with Linux and found out that its not so hard.

Is that your sarcastic way of telling me I'm just an idiot who doesn't get it, and *everyone* in the world should know about Synaptic Package Manager (as you roll your eyes)?

By the way, I just went to Synaptic Package Manager and there is nothing in there about gtkpod, nor could I figure out how to get it added. I'll keep working on it.

Again, I am not starting an OS war. In my original message I gave props to Linux for being better in every category *except* user friendliness. Unfortunately, that is a critical one. And I am glad to hear that it was such an easy transition for you. I guess I am just an idiot.
    For a second you got me upset because of the way your started out that post (I'm from the tricks tutorials forum so I take some things as a threat. lololol) It is user friendly but it is misunderstood. If you have been used to windows your whole life (this is an example) then what you perceive as "user friendly" can be altered. Lets put it this way:

With windows you can install one program at a time and it will be done in 5 secs. With Linux you can install 10 programs and it will be done in 5 secs. With windows you have to restart for some programs to take effect. With Linux you never have to restart unless you have to put in new hardware. I view windows user friendly because most windows programs never need and work done to get them complied and all that other stuff. I view Linux user friendly because you never have to look for programs. (unless their not in the sources. But those type of program are not hard to find) You can just go to add/remove and get whatever program you need. Plus compiz-fusion makes a difference.

edit: All you people who went to college are so lucky. (I would have thought that jcparker500 would have known about Linux through college but I really don't know about collage that much) I don't think degrees are what shows that your good with Linux or computers for that matter. I view experience as the greatest way to know if you good with computers. I know that I won't be able to afford collage because I'm poor. My family is poor and its hard to make ends meet. In the end I will probably never be on computers because I will have to find a job and get on with my life. A collage cost alot of money and I know that you never get what you want in life. So all these degrees don't mean anything to me. If just a paper in my eyes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

That is some great stuff, RO, Thanks!!
    see! you ask for something and something will be givin to you. I found that with windows I could get all of these people helping me.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Masterj15 View Post
    Dude, you started out with a hard time. Usually I would prefer something that was in the packages manager first. Therefore you get the feel of installing before you try compiling.
    Well, I figured that since this *is* a thread for new users to Ubuntu from Windows, that those would all be novice friendly links. I guess I was wrong about that!

I have yet to get add/remove or software sources to work yet, but maybe this weekend!

edit: All you people who went to college are so lucky. (I would have thought that jcparker500 would have known about Linux through college but I really don't know about collage that much) I don't think degrees are what shows that your good with Linux or computers for that matter. I view experience as the greatest way to know if you good with computers. I know that I won't be able to afford collage because I'm poor. My family is poor and its hard to make ends meet. In the end I will probably never be on computers because I will have to find a job and get on with my life. A collage cost alot of money and I know that you never get what you want in life. So all these degrees don't mean anything to me. If just a paper in my eyes.
    Let me just say that people with college degrees aren't necessarily smarter than someone with experience and no degree, but it is a proven fact that those with college degrees make more money than those without. Its just a fact of life. I urge you to try and get a scholarship, it can be done. There are many grants out there for low income families. Don't give up yet, my friend, you are only 16. I have a son who is 16, so if I'm sounding like a father figure, its because I am! BTW, I didn't mention my degree to brag about it, I was just pointing out that here I am with a college degree in computers and *I* can't figure it out! And yes, they do offer Linux courses in college, but I didn't have to take them for my degree. Wish I would have.

You come across as someone who is very bright and that could do well in the world. I appreciate your message to me and the encouragement, I really want to be good at this stuff, so sometimes when I post here I may be a little frustrated because there is nothing natural about Linux (such as no drive letters) after coming from Windows.

Let me give you one last bit of advice - if you love computers, don't make it your career choice! Doing it for a living in the high stress world that IT is takes all the fun out of it!

Ok, does anyone have a link to a program that I can listen to my iPod with and not have to compile it? That would really be a good start to help get me going!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Well, I figured that since this *is* a thread for new users to Ubuntu from Windows, that those would all be novice friendly links. I guess I was wrong about that!

I have yet to get add/remove or software sources to work yet, but maybe this weekend!

Let me just say that people with college degrees aren't necessarily smarter than someone with experience and no degree, but it is a proven fact that those with college degrees make more money than those without. Its just a fact of life. I urge you to try and get a scholarship, it can be done. There are many grants out there for low income families. Don't give up yet, my friend, you are only 16. I have a son who is 16, so if I'm sounding like a father figure, its because I am! BTW, I didn't mention my degree to brag about it, I was just pointing out that here I am with a college degree in computers and *I* can't figure it out! And yes, they do offer Linux courses in college, but I didn't have to take them for my degree. Wish I would have.

You come across as someone who is very bright and that could do well in the world. I appreciate your message to me and the encouragement, I really want to be good at this stuff, so sometimes when I post here I may be a little frustrated because there is nothing natural about Linux (such as no drive letters) after coming from Windows.

Let me give you one last bit of advice - if you love computers, don't make it your career choice! Doing it for a living in the high stress world that IT is takes all the fun out of it!

Ok, does anyone have a link to a program that I can listen to my iPod with and not have to compile it? That would really be a good start to help get me going!
    I'm going to either show you how to compile it or get the deb package for you. hold on

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I got some good new for you.

http://www.getdeb.net/app.php?name=gtkpod

www.getdeb.net is a great place to download stuff without any hassle.

edit: also I looked in synaptic packages manager and they have gtkpod. I didn't have to add any sources at all. The only reason why I llike synaptic is because they tell you what you need in order for the program to work. So you won't need decencies. They just download all the things for you.
    Last edited by Masterj15; January 31st, 2008 at 06:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I got some good new for you.

http://www.getdeb.net/app.php?name=gtkpod

www.getdeb.net is a great place to download stuff without any hassle.

edit: also I looked in synaptic packages manager and they have gtkpod. I didn't have to add any sources at all. The only reason why I llike synaptic is because they tell you what you need in order for the program to work. So you won't need decencies. They just download all the things for you.

You seem very jolly and chuffed with that helpful and well made program Synaptic.

Are you always this cheerful? If I was a female I'd say it's heartwarming, but I'm too male and British to say that so I won't.

Welcome to Ubuntu

Nathan

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast