Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Totem is now a front-end for mythtv?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Totem is now a front-end for mythtv?

I've been trying to get this to work since updating to Hardy.

I have a mythtv frontend+backend box that I want to connect to.

I can connect to that box with mythtv-frontend on my laptop (and also using MythTVPlayer on some Windows machines). However, I can't connect to it using the totem-plugin. I've put in the IP address of the mythtv box through gconf-editor and the same username and password from the mysql.txt file on the laptop, but when I click the "Refresh" button in Totem, no programs show up.

I'm a little confused as to what the totem plugin is trying to connect to. Is it trying to connect to the mysql database, or the mythtv backend? The reason for the confusion is that the information in gconf seems to be referring to the mysql database (wanting to know database name, username & password) but I thought that port 6543 was the port for the MythTV backend, not the MySQL DB.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What are the advantages of this totem plugin as compared to a regular mythfrontend? Why wouldn't you just use mythfrontend?

-teet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

There's probably lots of reasons why you might use this, but for me it's the ease of having some recorded TV (like a music video show) playing in a small window whilst I do other stuff on my PC.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The port it is referring to is for MySQL not the mythbackend port.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

So should the mythtv plugin be configured to connect to port 3306 (which is the port that mysql is running on on my myth box)?

The error I get when I run totem from the command line is:
    Code:
    ** (totem:21683): WARNING **: [gmyth_scheduler_connect_with_timeout] Error while connecting to db

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by funkydan2 View Post
    So should the mythtv plugin be configured to connect to port 3306 (which is the port that mysql is running on on my myth box)?

Code:
    ** (totem:21683): WARNING **: [gmyth_scheduler_connect_with_timeout] Error while connecting to db
    Actually that was a pre-emptive naive response. My mistake.

It is indeed the port it reads the recordings from. It makes an implicit assumption then too that your MySQL is on 3306 and that you can remotely connect to it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by funkydan2 View Post

Code:
    Did you ever manage to fix this?

I'm getting the same error!

Anyone, any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Nope.

Still not working, and I haven't got any leads.

Funny thing is, is that I had the totem-mythtv plugin working on an older laptop running the beta of hardy a month ago, but I've since given that computer away. I wonder if something's broken in the totem package since then?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes I have the same problem. My mythtv user who logs in to the frontend is named "cwells," so I've used the same password and granted that user access from all hosts in mysql. I can connect as that user remotely directly to the database, but Totem is giving me the same error as above.
    ** (totem:22778): WARNING **: [gmyth_scheduler_connect_with_timeout] Error while connecting to db
    When I connect to the DB it takes a few second, and this "timeout" error pops up seemingly quicker. Is there a way to increase the timeout value? Maybe I just need to bump it up to 10-15 seconds, but I have no idea where I might do this.

Incidentally I'm an 8.04 desktop running Totem, connecting to a Mythbuntu 7.10 frontend/backend box. Also like mentioned above, the full-on frontend works fine... though I want, as superm1 mentions, to watch the recordings in a little window while I do other stuff on my computer.

If there are any logs I can provide, etc - let me know, I'm just not sure where to begin.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by sceo View Post
    Incidentally I'm an 8.04 desktop running Totem, connecting to a Mythbuntu 7.10 frontend/backend box.
    I'm not sure, but does anyone know which version(s) of mythtv the totem plugin can connect to?

sceo, there is a chance that totem is only compatible with mythtv 0.21. Gutsy had 0.20 in the repositories (though 0.21 is in backports). Maybe you could see what happens if you upgrade mythtv to 0.21?

(Alternatively the opposite might be true as well, that the plugin is only compatible with 0.20!)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast