Thread: Pop-out Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Question Pop-out Windows

I saw this in a link one time, but I can't remember which virtualization software they were running on Ubuntu.

You could have the windows in the VM go to the actual panel in Gnome, so it looks like it's running from Linux, but it is actually running in the VM (be it VirtualBox or VMWare).

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lightbulb Re: Pop-out Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Voltaic Shock View Post
    I saw this in a link one time, but I can't remember which virtualization software they were running on Ubuntu.

You could have the windows in the VM go to the actual panel in Gnome, so it looks like it's running from Linux, but it is actually running in the VM (be it VirtualBox or VMWare).

Any ideas?
    Is this what you're looking for?

I just use Virtualbox with Win2K. Once the VM is running, I mash Right<crtl> + L and it switches to a different seamless mode. The Windows desktop disappears and the taskbar is left covering the bottom of the screen (in my case, the bottom Gnome taskbar on desktop 2). The way I use doesn't theme the Windows windows to my Gnome theme, but it doesn't matter much to me since it's not on my main desktop (it's on the 2nd desktop) and I don't use it much anyway.
    Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Pop-out Windows

You can do just about anything you wish in VMware... I use five desktops and both Windows and Ubuntu can be seen and used in the same desktop. Notice all the layers in the attachment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q30X Intel i5-4670K 4.0GHz, SSDs, 16G RAM | Dell laptop E1505n, netbook 10n
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP Pro running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Smile Re: Pop-out Windows

I believe that is what I am looking for. I'll have to try this at home.

Thanks for the reply.