View Poll Results: If wireless if your only connection... why?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have a router, but it's too far away from my wireless computer, which is not portable

29 21.01%
  • I do not have a cord to connect a wired connection.

1 0.72%
  • I do not have a port on my computer allowing wired connections--only wireless.

1 0.72%
  • I use my school's/organization's internet, and it's offered only as wireless.

0 0%
  • I steal/"borrow" my neighbor's internet connection. I have no connection of my own.

2 1.45%
  • I could hook up my wireless computer with a wired connection, but I'm too lazy to do that.

19 13.77%
  • Wireless only - other reason

14 10.14%
  • I actually do have a wired connection, too.

44 31.88%
  • I do not use wireless right now.

23 16.67%
  • Other

5 3.62%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If wireless is your only connection... why?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If wireless is your only connection... why?

I've seen some threads where people who are trying to set up wireless have difficulty doing so because they have only the wireless connection, so if that's not working... they have no connection.

I'm just wondering why this is.

Our household has wireless, but if my wife's laptop's wireless acts up, we can always take her laptop over to the router and plug it in and used a wired connection.

You people who have wireless as your only connection, what your main reason for having only one connection?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: If wireless if your only connection... why?

Most people get wireless so they don't have to worry about routing a cable through the house. It would have made my life much easier if I had wireless (but I like a challenge).
    +Solace @DeviantArt | Awesome Guide | Beginners Team Member
    Canadian Forces 2007-present

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: If wireless if your only connection... why?

Maybe some of them don't realize that they have a wired connection.

I have wondered the same thing lately.
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It's good to always have a blue cable in the 4th slot of your router just in case you upgrade or install, especially with hardware such as Broadcom wifi card that wasn't meant for Linux, for which you need to download fw-cutter to store off-line. Check Ubuntu or your distro to make sure hardware is fully compatible with Linux before making new laptop purchase. The Dell 1420 comes pre-installed but the Inspiron 1200 with Broadcom card works just as well for me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by steveneddy View Post
    Maybe some of them don't realize that they have a wired connection.

I have wondered the same thing lately.
    Well, that's what I've wondered, too, which is why I created this poll.

I've seen a lot of threads that say something like this:
    I'm trying to set up wireless in Ubuntu, but all the tutorials want me to install packages downloaded from the internet, but I can't download them, because I don't have the internet since my wireless doesn't work--duh!
    and my first thought is--Plug in your computer with a wired connection for now to get the packages. Once you have everything working, then you can use a wireless connection. Why don't you have a wired connection you can use temporarily?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

What I also have is a wireless bridge. The whole house is wireless, however this nifty device can give me an Ethernet connection. However, I prefer wifi for obvious reasons.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Our home is a rented apartment in an apartment block. The connection wires come out from one point in the house, you can't get the broadband cables out from elsewhere, there simply is no way. We have a wireless router because the desktop my parents and brother use is far from the router and we didn't want wiring all over the house. It makes life easier for me and my laptop too.

When there's trouble I just take the laptop over and connect it and fix what needs to be done. If we didn't have this laptop that would not be possible.
    May the FOSS be with you!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Router is too far away, I'd have to run a cable from the back of the house to the front, up the stairs & then to the back of the house. I'm basically above the router but running the cable through the wall or ceiling isn't an option.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Most residential isp's (in my area at least) provide a modem/wireless-router combo and a 'do-it-yourself' free install (with fold-out instructions/poster). These modem/routers have the ssid and wep key printed right on the side on a sticker. So all these people do is plug the router into the phone/cable jack, and put the wireless info from the sticker into their connection settings. No more experience or network knowledge needed. As far as they're concerned, the rj-45 jack is as arcane as the usb-b port these same routers have.

What we need to do in the future is give these people a mini networking tutorial, or maybe have one in the wiki we can link to.

My $.02

Beans

My main pc, which is upstairs, uses a wired connection. However, I'm mostly on my laptop (which is my only linux box, so here's your why ), and on my laptop I usually sit downstairs. So on my laptop I'm almost wireless only, unless if I break something, I can go upstairs and plug in the cable and search for a solution.
    [Configuration files]
    Linux IS user-friendly, it's just picky about its friends.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast