Thread: Why was this thread closed?

Beans

Why was this thread closed?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=678948

I do not see any bashing here other than someone calling the practices of the scientology church crazy. Is that the reason to close a whole thread because it is so called 'bashing religion'? Note that in a lot of countries scientology is not even a religion.
    "I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Why was this thread closed?

Quote Originally Posted by OffHand View Post
    I do not see any bashing here other than someone calling the practices of the scientology church crazy.
    Calling their practices crazy is bashing. Saying you don't agree with and would neither participate in nor endorse their practices is not bashing. Therein lies the difference...tone, wording, timbre.

Yep, there was definite bashing going on in that thread. It will remain closed.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Calling their practices crazy is bashing. Saying you don't agree with and would neither participate in nor endorse their practices is not bashing. Therein lies the difference...tone, wording, timbre.

Yep, there was definite bashing going on in that thread. It will remain closed.
    I gave legitimate arguments against the CoS. You can find any of my accusations with a bit of googling, therefor I do not consider it bashing. If the other reply (calling the CoS and their practices crazy) is violating the CoD please jail that post and re-open the thread. The decision to close it or leave it closed does not make sense to me.

Beans
    Distro

Your arguments for or against are not at issue and had nothing to do with the thread being closed.

Your manner of expressing your thoughts is the issue, and has been a consistent one for nearly a year, when you received your first infraction for insulting another member. In the meanwhile you have received a total of seven infractions and warnings in the last eleven months, mostly for the same basic issue.

The way in which a person communicates can either show that they value and respect others, or it may show that other people are considered as inferior or worthless. There is certainly a spectrum of possibilities between the two extremes.

The Forums CoC was put in place as a way to make clear our expectation that people in these forums are to be given respect solely because they exist, because they are human. Our manner of expression, while sharing our thoughts and perspectives, is what does this. In the absence of visual cues like body language and facial expressions, and without the verbal cues of voice inflection, it is very difficult to know as a reader whether a person is being serious or funny, demeaning or ironic, unless the writer makes a conscious effort to make their intent clear.

What you are communicating in the post in the closed thread is that you think people who subscribe to a certain set of beliefs are mentally deficient or unstable. You chose to express this with a slang term, crazy. Crazy can be used in a way that is humorous or frivolous, but in this instance, that did not appear to be your intent. You were insulting.

If you had intended to say that you do not believe that the beliefs and practices of Scientology are valid, say so. Don't stoop to name calling. Don't be rude. Don't be demeaning in the manner in which you choose to say what you think. Value people, even if you find their opinions silly. Value the person, even if you don't value their beliefs.

This is why the thread was closed.

This is why you continue to receive infractions and warnings.

This is why my patience is wearing thin.

Beans

Your arguments for or against are not at issue and had nothing to do with the thread being closed.

Your manner of expressing your thoughts is the issue, and has been a consistent one for nearly a year, when you received your first infraction for insulting another member. In the meanwhile you have received a total of seven infractions and warnings in the last eleven months, mostly for the same basic issue.
    Not for the same issue. Check the screenshot. There are actually two infractions because I insulted other members. I don't even remember what the discussion was about but it was a pretty heated debate.
    What you are communicating in the post in the closed thread is that you think people who subscribe to a certain set of beliefs are mentally deficient or unstable. You chose to express this with a slang term, crazy. Crazy can be used in a way that is humorous or frivolous, but in this instance, that did not appear to be your intent. You were insulting.

This is why the thread was closed.

This is why you continue to receive infractions and warnings.

This is why my patience is wearing thin.
    I did not started to call the CoS crazy, I just confirmed it and explained why I think they are being silly. Unfortunately this is considered an offense of the CoC because it's a religion (where you live at least - in some countries CoS is not considered a religion).

Beans
    Distro

Not for the same issue. Check the screenshot. There are actually two infractions because I insulted other members.
    Feb 14, 2007 - insulted other member(s)
    Mar 9, 2007 - circumventing language filter
    Mar 15, 2007 - inappropriate comment
    Mar 20, 2007 - insulted other member(s)
    June 18, 2007 - insulted other member(s)
    Dec 14, 2007 - inappropriate language
    today - failure to follow code of conduct by insulting/bashing religious adherents

Which of these was demonstrating respect? Respect for other people is the issue.

I don't even remember what the discussion was about but it was a pretty heated debate.
    Immaterial. One can disagree strongly and remain respectful during the disagreement.

I did not started to call the CoS crazy, I just confirmed it and explained why I think they are being silly. Unfortunately this is considered an offense of the CoC because it's a religion (where you live at least - in some countries CoS is not considered a religion).
    Frankly, religion or not, calling anyone a name is unacceptable behavior in these forums. This is true whether we are discussing a religion, a political figure, or an operating system. The topic is unimportant in this instance--what is germane to the discussion is the failure to be respectful.

You are looking for a way to get around the rules, some sort of loophole that allows you to be disrespectful and somehow still be in compliance with the Forums Code of Conduct. That loophole does not exist.

Beans

I fully back the action of staff in this matter , and the response by Matthew to this thread .
    This account is not active.