Beans
    Hidden!

Nokia to acquire Trolltech

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Nokia Acquires Trolltech

Read here.

I wonder what this means for the future of Qt and KDE. Trolltechs say that this will only be good for them; Nokia is less clear in their statement. In particular the issue is that Nokia already is invested in competing technologies: it has products using GTK, and products using the S60 platform, which Nokia even mentions in its press release. Will Nokia choose to standardize on only one of all of these, and if so, which will it be? Or will Nokia just take parts of Qt and add it to S60 and so forth? Lots of questions here...

Beans

Re: Nokia to acquire Trolltech

Acting as moderator:

Threads merged, same titles too

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    Acting as moderator:

Threads merged, same titles too
    lol, and I looked for a previous thread before I posted, too, but we posted them within a few minutes of each other

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kripkenstein View Post
    lol, and I looked for a previous thread before I posted, too, but we posted them within a few minutes of each other
    They were right next to each other

I though it was a simple double post (double click of the submit or something) but I noticed two OP's...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I doubt there will be much problems:

We will continue to actively develop Qt and Qtopia. We also want to underline that we
    will continue to support the open source community by continuing to release these
    technologies under the GPL.
    This might be beneficial, since almost no one knows about Trolltech, but everyone knows about Nokia. Also, Nokia has more money to put into development.
    My cross-platform python modules for PVA or population simulation https://code.google.com/p/nobones/, written in Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If it's done well it could be very cool. If it's done badly, everyone can fork or switch to GTK

Beans

Unhappy Re: Nokia to acquire Trolltech

Just this month we (Norway) have lost Fast to Microsoft and now Trolltech to Nokia. Sad to see we're unable to take care of the business side of things.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

This came from left field. A company that makes massive use of MaemoGTK buying the owners of Qt? I am fearful of such a large change, not because of code lock(since we have the agreement) but because QT's focus and efforts will refocused away from being a toolkit for both the mobile and desktop world. If Nokia refocuses the toolkit to a primary platform(form factor rather then OS) do they still need to employee people to work on KDE? I hope so. Either way I see no way this could be a great thing for KDE. I am hoping I am very wrong and uninformed. I just dont want to loose the corporate support we have seen from Trolltech for projects around the free software world.
    Last edited by tehkain; January 28th, 2008 at 12:34 PM.
    Ubuntu: A Free Software Operating System

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by graabein View Post
    Just this month we (Norway) have lost Fast to Microsoft and now Trolltech to Nokia. Sad to see we're unable to take care of the business side of things.
    Quote Originally Posted by tehkain View Post
    This came from left field. A company that makes massive use of MaemoGTK buying the owners of Qt? I am fearful of such a large change, not because of code lock(since we have the agreement) but because QT's focus and efforts will refocused away from being a toolkit for both the mobile and desktop world. If Nokia refocuses the toolkit to a primary platform(form factor rather then OS) do they still need to employee people to work on KDE? I hope so. Either way I see no way this could be a great thing for KDE. I am hoping I am very wrong and uninformed.
    Aye as who knows if nokia will honor their claim, I dont trust big companies and I never will so I would not be surprised if gnome is everyones future now or xfce.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast