Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: And So, I Have Switched to Fedora

Beans

Re: And So, I Have Switched to Fedora

I have tried fedora and suse. #1 - they are way way harder to install new packages from their depositories than is the debian way. (using apt-get) I have upgraded from kubuntu 7.10 to 8.04 beta and so far no problems anywhere as a matter of fact the machine seems to run a little faster , maybe. But just for the ease of use of installing packages i would say that the debian way is a lot better than screwing around the that yum thing. Just my thoughts on fedora/suse verse debian.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

hi,
    I try Fedora 9 with virtualbox (host: ubuntu 8.04) but it fail when loading kde4

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jmore9 View Post
    I have tried fedora and suse. #1 - they are way way harder to install new packages from their depositories than is the debian way.
    I find apt-get and Yum very similar.
    apt-get is a little faster, but with the Yum addons installed it's close enough for me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PrivateVoid View Post
    I am looking at openSUSE and Fedora as well... but damn Fedora 8 is slower than a turtle about patches and adding software...

It was painful.

Is there anyway to speed it up?
    Are you using YumEx? Have you installed the Yum addons?

If not:
    Code:
    su
    yum install yumex yum-fastestmirror yum-skip-broken yum-fedorakmod yum-kernel-module yum-refresh-updatesd
    Then you will see "Yum extender" listed under the Applications>System Tools section. Use that instead of the "Add/Remove Software" app.

Hope this helps.

AntMan

Beans

I am running Fedora 5 and was courious about Ubuntu. After reading this thread I think for now is good to stick to Fedora. However, I down loaded Fedora 8 and can not install it. When starting the isntallation, It keeps checking for applications dependences for hours and hour, leave it over night never finished.

Just for curiosity, can I just install Ubuntu on top of my Fedora 5?

Thanks,

Carlos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

My biggest beef with Fedora is that their package management apps are mind numbingly slow..especially their default, Pirut. Otherwise, it was a somewhat good distro. However, I liked Ubuntu for the patches it applies to Cairo for font rendering etc. (I got these in Arch, too, and it looks fantastic)

Beans

I thought i'd throw in my 2 cents, since i have been enjoying fedora for a while now.
    1. it *diffrent*. some may call fedora broken, but it's just different. When you got the hang of it, it's just like when you're administering debian/ubuntu. I do prefer the debian packaging helper scripts + pbuilder to the rpm build tools and "mock" though.
    2. Livna isn't always in sync with fedora, so you may not be able to install nvidia-kmod. I used a dkms package on freshrpms.net called x11-nvidia-drv (i think that was it), and it compiles a new nvidia modules in case a new kernel is installed automatically instead. very cool.
    3. There is no gksu(do) in the repos, and that sucks. Fedora uses consolehelper, and that has to be set up with pam for every binary that is run with it. Hopefully policykit will replace this need in the future.
    4. the yum gui (pirut?) component sucks, but yum itself is rather nice with the plugin system it uses(delta rpms, with yum-presto is cool).

About font rendering, this is how you get nice subpixel rendering for LCDs;
    http://www.bevenhall.se/jim/fedora-cleartype/
    Last edited by pelle.k; April 4th, 2008 at 08:02 PM.
    - "though It seems that I know that I know, what I would like to see Is the I that sees me, when I know that I know that I know" / Alan Watts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

glad to see anther fedora user. and i definetly agree with codeina.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123