View Poll Results: Do you use correct grammar on Internet forums?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

125 88.03%
  • No, it is unnecessary

2 1.41%
  • No, it does not matter

5 3.52%
  • I do not care at all

10 7.04%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you use correct spelling and grammar on Internet forums?

Beans

Re: How many of you use correct spelling and grammar on Internet forums?

Quote Originally Posted by inversekinetix View Post
    I will adhere to the constraints of a prescriptivist view if and when English is dead. We are talking about a living language with myriad variants. The concept of a 'correct' version of the language is no nearer to being attained now than when Swift was at it. Of course we follow a codified rule of spelling in some cases, but there are many others where we need not. I can't imagine a more boring world than one in which everyone used the same 'correct' language.

can yoo imajin how bore ing clok werk orinj wud b wiv out itz cullerful langwij
    Correctness isn't a good cue, but functionality would be. A Clockwork Orange and Ulysses, being works of art, don't aim to be functional in the utilitarian sense. Posts in technical support forums, however, should. If a post is found hard to decipher by a considerable amount of the people who read it, it's simply not functioning well.

Beans
    Hidden!

i try to make myself as clearly understood to the largest number of people as i can, as often as i can. so far, i have a 2% success rating.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by fuscia View Post
    i try to make myself as clearly understood to the largest number of people as i can, as often as i can. so far, i have a 2% success rating.
    what?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg View Post
    Correctness isn't a good cue, but functionality would be. A Clockwork Orange and Ulysses, being works of art, don't aim to be functional in the utilitarian sense. Posts in technical support forums, however, should. If a post is found hard to decipher by a considerable amount of the people who read it, it's simply not functioning well.
    To use an "improper" bit of Internet slang... QFT.
    Focus is Cash in the Economics of Attention
    No one should apologize for, nor act threatened as a result of their preferences.- PapaRaven

Beans

I attempt to use good grammar and spelling as much as I can, but I'll admit that those subjects have never been my strong point and that it doesn't bother me to see grammar and spelling mistakes the way it does for some people. As long as I understand what's being said, I don't really care about it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg View Post
    Unless it is in a literary forum, in which case something more difficult may be appreciated and simplistic language looked down upon.

The 'correct spelling and grammar' is superseeded by apt communication, it doesn't matter how 'correct' it is, if its not understood be the recipient it may aswel be written in binary. I notice a lot in newcomer help areas, people get bombarded with ergot making it much more difficult for them to understand simple concepts. I think a lot of people dont think about that when their offering help.

by the way can you find the deliberate mistakes I added to this? bet it didnt impair youre understanding one jot.

*P*

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

I try to. That doesn't mean I don't make mistakes.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePilot View Post
    I try to. That doesn't mean I don't make mistakes.
    Everyone makes mistakes. Luckily, my sloppy typing on my first post was taken as intentional irony...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

The 'correct spelling and grammar' is superseeded by apt communication, it doesn't matter how 'correct' it is, if its not understood be the recipient it may aswel be written in binary. I notice a lot in newcomer help areas, people get bombarded with ergot making it much more difficult for them to understand simple concepts. I think a lot of people dont think about that when their offering help.

by the way can you find the deliberate mistakes I added to this? bet it didnt impair youre understanding one jot.

*P*
    Actually, I had to go back and read the highlighted sentence a couple of times before I could fathom your meaning. No offense, but I'm not sure your examples shore up your point very well.

Still, to each their own.
    Focus is Cash in the Economics of Attention
    No one should apologize for, nor act threatened as a result of their preferences.- PapaRaven

Beans

Unless it is in a literary forum, in which case something more difficult may be appreciated and simplistic language looked down upon.
    Sure, but this isn't a literary forum. To make it more precise, let's say "a computer software technical support forum".

Quote Originally Posted by inversekinetix
    The 'correct spelling and grammar' is superseeded by apt communication, it doesn't matter how 'correct' it is, if its not understood be the recipient it may aswel be written in binary.
    Exactly my point: correctness only really matters to the extent that it hampers functionality in the context you're in.

Quote Originally Posted by inversekinetix

*P*
    Your mistakes didn't prevent me from getting your point; however, they did make it more difficult for me to understand certain parts. For example, noting that your post had misspelled words, I had to look up the word "ergot" to see whether it was actually a word, or a spelling error, in order to understand the sentence in which you used it.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast