Re: gentoo?

Quote Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
    I do want to know the present scenario in gentoo community
    Robbins' blog seems to be fairly informative
    Is this for enhancing your E-peen?

Beans

oh, i give up.

Things keep failing to compile. I've done an emerge -e system && emerge -e world, used gentoos and funtoos stage3 packages and things just keep failing.

qt, gucharmap, iputils (gives up on ping.o !?), busybox, etc etc

Funny thing is is that the gentoo handbook doesn't mention to upgrade gcc and glibc

It's a shame. I'm starting to really like the gentoo philosophy and methodologies, but the constant compilation errors are driving me a bit nuts. I guess it's back to manhandling Arch with Rutilt

This is my make.conf attached if anyone wants to see if i'm using a messed setup
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by regomodo; March 29th, 2008 at 06:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

MAKEOPTS="-j9"
    8 core processor do u use :faints:

reg the errors,you should've tried gentoo forums
    http://forums.gentoo.org/
    and:
    http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-675839.html
    also,gcc version?
    Last edited by deepclutch; March 29th, 2008 at 09:34 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
    8 core processor do u use :faints:
    also,gcc version?
    Actually, that was because i was using an icecream cluster, but since the gcc upgrade it no longer works. Actually -j9 would suggest a 4core processor according to the wiki's recommendation

I have no issues with installing its the upgrading and making the system sane that's the issue

gcc version is 4.1.2. The latest in Gentoo but a version behind Ubuntu weirdly enough.

[edit] well, i managed to solve those issues by the usual env-update revdep...etc. Now gnome-desktop fails. Apparently i'm not the only one. A quick google gives me one result, in French. {solved - it needed the python USE flag}
    Last edited by regomodo; March 30th, 2008 at 01:55 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HymnToLife View Post
    Huh ? Why do "emerge -e system && emerge -e world" ? That will reemerge some packages (all those in "system") twice. Just "emerge gcc glibc && emerge -e world" is enough. Anyway, the machine is an Athlon 64 FX-62 with 2 GiB of RAM.
    I can personally attest to the fact that doesn't work. 3 times on different architectures and releases (gentoo/funtoo). The proper way is defined by gentoo's GCC upgrade guide

Can you tell i didn't give up on Gentoo. I now have nearly fully functional laptop. I pretty gave up on compiling on my laptop and just chrooted into it's harddrive from my much more powerful PC to build pretty much everything. Only couldn't compile qt in a chrooted environment. That took 6 hours on the laptop.

How does 32MB of RAM for an XFCE4 setup sound? That's even with a genkernel build.
    Last edited by regomodo; March 31st, 2008 at 12:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by regomodo View Post
    I can personally attest to the fact that doesn't work. 3 times on different architectures and releases (gentoo/funtoo). The proper way is defined by gentoo's GCC upgrade guide
    I can personnally attest that this always Worked For Me™ all the way back since 3.3, and using official tarballs, too! Besides, you should read docs a bit further. Oh, and compilinq Qt in a chroot definitely works, too.

Last edited by Bachstelze; March 31st, 2008 at 08:26 PM.

Beans

I can personnally attest that this always Worked For Me™ all the way back since 3.3, and using official tarballs, too!
    I'm glad you put the ™ in. I did to the emerge -e gcc glibc (on two separate installs) and later package builds failed. It wasn't until i found that link that i stopped getting errors, but qt failed in chroot .

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by regomodo View Post
    I'm glad you put the ™ in. I did to the emerge -e gcc glibc (on two separate installs) and later package builds failed. It wasn't until i found that link that i stopped getting errors, but qt failed in chroot .
    Did you do a sudo env-update && source /etc/profile after emerging Xorg and before emerging Qt (as instructed here) ?

Beans

Did you do a sudo env-update && source /etc/profile after emerging Xorg and before emerging Qt (as instructed here) ?
    yep, that's the guide i used. It's usually one of the things i do when something fails. It's no biggy, i got it installed fine on my laptop and figured out an issue with qt that is misreported as a bug in gentoo's bugzilla.
    Last edited by regomodo; April 1st, 2008 at 12:47 AM.

Beans

I'm starting to really like Gentoo. The documentation (although slightly dated sometimes) is so damn extensive. I haven't come across something quite like it in other projects.

So far i've almost got my PC finished, just a dvb issue and then just an atheros card to setup

Laptop situation is somewhat different. I have a big problem involving a zombie process called kacpid and just eats up my cpu. I tried setting up acpi properly and disabling by passing noacpi and nolapic at boot but to no avail. Additionally i'm having difficulties with wpa+rt2500 wireless

[edit] i just got laughed at from 2 ex-gentoo users for actually using gentoo. they had probably used gentoo for about a collective 6 years and couldn't understand why i use it when arch/lack/debian exist as the difference between binary and source distros is negligible. Anyone feel the same?
    Last edited by regomodo; April 12th, 2008 at 03:45 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234