Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linux Registry Editor

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Linux Registry Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Bungo Pony View Post
    Just tried running RegEdit with Wine. By default it loads up the Wine Registry. I'm guessing it's possible to import the real Windows registry, but I don't know where Windows stores it.
    Did you use the wine version of regedit, or did you actually navigate to regedit.exe on your Windows partition and run it with wine?
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Did you use the wine version of regedit, or did you actually navigate to regedit.exe on your Windows partition and run it with wine?
    First, I navigated to my Windows directory using the terminal. When I saw that the Wine registry loaded instead of the Windows one, I tried doing a right-click in Nautilus and "run with" which also brought up the Wine registry.

BTW, I am running a dual boot system.

Beans

i would probably just reinstall wondoze

Beans

As far as I remember the Windows registry is kept in several files inside c:\windows or c:\windows\system (don't know the exact names). So you can probably edit them manually from Linux or if they are in some binary form use Wine's registry editor.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    As far as I remember the Windows registry is kept in several files inside c:\windows or c:\windows\system (don't know the exact names). So you can probably edit them manually from Linux or if they are in some binary form use Wine's registry editor.
    They are in binary form.

Beans

Hmm... just found this thread. I am looking for a way to edit the Windows registry from linux too.
    Hmmm... I guess I could try and find a windows program to do it and just run it with Wine?!? hmmm

Beans

there must be a form of doing so as there is a linux live cd that can wipe administrator passwords and other such user account settings. I'll try and find the live-cd distro and they may have info on how they edit the registry

[edit] Found it. It apparently is an alomost fully-fledged registry editor as well. I've only used it to reset passwords
    Last edited by regomodo; March 25th, 2008 at 03:49 PM.
    Is this for enhancing your E-peen?

Beans

If you have a second windows computer with a different IP address you can connect to a network registry. it is in the file menu of regedit. I have done this across a VPN from South Florida to a computer in Tennessee. I don't know if regedit in wine can do this because i don't have it installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by regomodo View Post
    there must be a form of doing so as there is a linux live cd that can wipe administrator passwords and other such user account settings. I'll try and find the live-cd distro and they may have info on how they edit the registry

[edit] Found it. It apparently is an alomost fully-fledged registry editor as well. I've only used it to reset passwords
    Wow, thanks for posting that! I just may give it a try.

I've pretty much left Windows to rot until Hardy comes out, and I'll re-do my whole PC. But that utility may be useful when I have to fix other people's PCs.
    What do tone deaf singers, floppy drive music, and an old woman dreaming about mashed rodents have in common? They're all on my blog! CHECK IT OUT

Beans

this is a very good registry editor, it might run with wine?? it's about 100 times faster then regedit.
    http://www.resplendence.com/reglite
    Thanks to the forums staff for your dedication and hard work
    (the admins changed my sig to that lol )

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast