Page 51 of 60 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: System Restore

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: System Restore

Quote Originally Posted by mssever View Post
    I'm not sure what you're doing, but here's how I handle conflicts. For the sake of this post, let's assume that the conflict is in changelog (which is where they seem to crop up the most for me).
    Code:
    meld changelog.*
    # meld will show you a three-way diff, which you can use to determine what should
    # happen. Usualy, *.OTHER is the proper file to use. Meld allows editing in case that should
    # be necessary.
    # Assuming you're resolving in favor of changelog.OTHER (possibly with some edits):
    mv changelog{.OTHER,}
    bzr resolve changelog
    And you're done...unless you have more conflicts to resolve.
    All this time I've just been doing bzr resolve and manually removing all the gunk that was left over. I will try that next time a conflict(s) come up. Thanks

Blog | I'm available for programming contributions. C & Python.
    Intel Core i7 920 | EVGA x58 SLI | NVidia GeForce 8600 GT | WD 500GB HDD | Corsair XMS3 3GB | Ubuntu 9.04

Beans

First, a comment about the recent file reshuffling: It appears to me (though I can't be certain) that the files were moved, then added back in to bzr. I say that, because those files have completely lost their history. Furthermore, doing things like this can in some cases cause merge conflicts that would otherwise be avoided. Bazaar has a command to prevent this situation and allow bzr to keep track of renames: bzr mv. The idea is, all filesystem operations should be done with bzr commands whenever such a command is available.
    That explains a lot. Thanks.

I'll work on that. I'm a bit surprised, though, that e17 doesn't support SVG. Perhaps it's showing its age.
    The icon is in there now.

Thanks I added it to my main branch. LaRoza, my branch has some things for merging into trunk. Also, you can take just revision 62 and merge it into 1.0 to get the updated translation.
    Is 1.0.2 ready for release now? The launchsysres script will workaround the bug you mentioned, and it's in 1.0.
    We need it to install the .png files as well. When it can do that, it will be ready I guess.

Beans

Sorry for not updating, I've created a new branch sysres/gtk-frontend-1.0 on which I will aim to adress the problems with the gtk interface.

I should get time to work on it today in the weekend.
    Don't peach linux. Melon it!

Beans

First, a comment about the recent file reshuffling: It appears to me (though I can't be certain) that the files were moved, then added back in to bzr. I say that, because those files have completely lost their history. Furthermore, doing things like this can in some cases cause merge conflicts that would otherwise be avoided. Bazaar has a command to prevent this situation and allow bzr to keep track of renames: bzr mv. The idea is, all filesystem operations should be done with bzr commands whenever such a command is available.
    Thanks... I used Nautilus to reshuffle everything...

Beans

Ok, I have the branch I was working on as ~evigo/sysres/design and marked it as "Merged". I don't think to do any much work there.

I also reverted for historical reasons. It seems that when marking as "merged" the best practice is to leave things as they were... Think of a "closed" branch.

Now I'll focus a bit on the GTK+ frontend and see what's happening.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Has anyone tried to bug Canonical and see if this, or something like this could be in the default installations of *ubuntu?

Is that reasonable or a long shot?

Beans

I've built packages now for 1.0.2 (attached). The requisite changes should be merged into 1.0 from ~scott.severance/sysres/mssever. In the process, I discovered that we need to dynamically set the version number from either the build script or the installer. The .deb for 1.0.1 probably incorrectly reports the version as 1.0. 1.0.2 is correct, but only because I manually fixed it.

Please, let's make the this the last release of the 1.0 series, and base 1.1 off trunk. The version issue would be solved more simply if I didn't have to find an automated solution that will work for both trunk and 1.0, since they've diverged so much.

I also discovered another bug: In 1.0.2, making a restore point with -- in the name now fails silently. It shouldn't fail, and nothing should ever fail silently. I can't test in trunk, since trunk is currently broken (can't load any interface), and I haven't investigated as to the cause. Regardless of the cause, we need to re-think our exception handling. The ImportError is getting caught and the message "You must have Py(GTK|Qt) installed" is printed, even though the ImportError is definitely not related to pygtk or pyqt.

Quote Originally Posted by nvteighen View Post
    Thanks... I used Nautilus to reshuffle everything...
    I didn't realize that anyone used Nautilus while programming.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherdisciple View Post
    Has anyone tried to bug Canonical and see if this, or something like this could be in the default installations of *ubuntu?

I think it would be good, but IMHO we have a way to go. The GUIs don't follow the HIG, and sysres isn't sufficiently comprehensive or automatic. Installing a script in /etc/cron.weekly would go a long way toward solving the automatic problem, but to be sufficiently comprehensive would require a lot of thought about what exactly should be restored by default and what shouldn't. Also, how should we handle conflicts?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

very good idea, i would like it if it could back up the init scripts , basicaly theses folders /etc/rc*.d
    Desktop:i7 875k|4gb OCZ platinum ddr3 2000|Evga P55 LE mobo|OCZ RevoDrive 50gb|ATI 5850 Black Edition|Silverstone FT02|corsair tx650
    Portable: 13" Macbook Pro 2.8ghz i7 16gb RAM | Asus EEE TF101 | Samsung Galaxy S2

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by anotherdisciple View Post

Not for a while, no. I know OzOS is considering it, once I give them the green light that the release is ready.

I've built packages now for 1.0.2 (attached). The requisite changes should be merged into 1.0 from ~scott.severance/sysres/mssever. In the process, I discovered that we need to dynamically set the version number from either the build script or the installer. The .deb for 1.0.1 probably incorrectly reports the version as 1.0. 1.0.2 is correct, but only because I manually fixed it.
    I don't know what you mean. The version is in SystemRestore/Constants/__init__.py

Please, let's make the this the last release of the 1.0 series, and base 1.1 off trunk. The version issue would be solved more simply if I didn't have to find an automated solution that will work for both trunk and 1.0, since they've diverged so much.
    If it works we will. 1.0.x should work, even if the code isn't the best.

I also discovered another bug: In 1.0.2, making a restore point with -- in the name now fails silently. It shouldn't fail, and nothing should ever fail silently. I can't test in trunk, since trunk is currently broken (can't load any interface), and I haven't investigated as to the cause. Regardless of the cause, we need to re-think our exception handling. The ImportError is getting caught and the message "You must have Py(GTK|Qt) installed" is printed, even though the ImportError is definitely not related to pygtk or pyqt.
    It isn't a bug. It is a kludge. It doesn't fail either, it changes them to __.

Trunk's interfaces are expected to be broken, except for the CLI one.

I didn't realize that anyone used Nautilus while programming.
    I didn't realise anyone used Nautilus.

Also, how should we handle conflicts?
    Conflicts with what?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by markp1989 View Post
    very good idea, i would like it if it could back up the init scripts , basicaly theses folders /etc/rc*.d
    Give file names sysres isn't a backup program and only supports files.

Page 51 of 60 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast