Page 13 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: System Restore

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: System Restore

The next step may be to get a nice icon
    i think i have a cd whit back up on some stuff did where i among other things have about ten or fifteen icons i created.
    if you have any interest in that i can go look for it and see if i can find it.
    please buy this online only compilation to support victims of japan. http://www.punk4japan.com/

Beans

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by red_Marvin View Post
    Yay!

Btw, the utf-8 coding tag was only added in my source because I wanted to be able to spell my name properly
    (with an "ö"), a somewhat silly reason .
    That is a perfectly valid reason.

Beans

Yes perhaps, I noticed that you had added it to the coding standard file, guessed that it was because I put it in gtkgui.py and just thought I'd explain my reasons.
    Don't peach linux. Melon it!

Beans

Yes perhaps, I noticed that you had added it to the coding standard file, guessed that it was because I put it in gtkgui.py and just thought I'd explain my reasons.
    Your reasons were obvious to me

I am working on the .deb. It is going well, except for one thing. The license file isn't being opened...

Also, I think usability wise, the QT version is a bit better. Could your version mimic it a bit? (That version is based off your GTK+ work, and I used what I liked about yours to give feedback on it).

I will to avoid the license opening issue, make a variable (constant) in system_restore.py for the entire license, so you can use that for getting the license info instead of opening the file.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    Also, I think usability wise, the QT version is a bit better. Could your version mimic it a bit?
    Sure, but I need more elaborate specifications on what you want changed, the things that differ between the versions, that I noticed are (please select one or more, or add your own ):
    1) Buttons beside the lists instead of underneath them
    2) About/license/exit buttons at the bottom of the window (If you'd like that, should I put the license button thero or do you want me to continue to use the built in one in gtk.AboutDialog (like now)?)
    3) Padding between widgets, increase?

Beans

Sure, but I need more elaborate specifications on what you want changed, the things that differ between the versions, that I noticed are (please select one or more, or add your own ):
    Ah, yes. I should have been more clear. My (and yours, apparently) psychic powers are low

2) About/license/exit buttons at the bottom of the window (If you'd like that, should I put the license button thero or do you want me to continue to use the built in one in gtk.AboutDialog (like now)?)
    I like that. I think you should get rid of the "About" tab (or whatever they are called) and just have a license and about button. Or they could be in that tab. I just don't like having an "About" window and an "About" button.

Beans

I did a quick test with adding buttons to the bottom of the window, but since I have the "other" buttons close to the bottom too and they didn't align properly, it looked messy, however I might be able to add a menu to the top that can provide an interface like:

File
    +-Exit

Help
    +-Information (showing the contents of the about file)
    +-About (popping up the about dialog)

License information could be kept in the about dialog (like now) or as another item in the help menu.

Either something like that, or I move the "other buttons" to be to the right of lists so the layouts don't interfer with each other.

Maybe even the whole tab system could be moved into a submenu, so that there is an item
    Mode (or just continue adding to File, so Exit won't be alone)
    +-Create
    +-Edit
    +-Settings

Well, anyhow, I should get some sleep, before I stop making sense altogether... if I haven't already...
    Comments and ideas appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Thumbs down Re: System Restore

First, great job everyone! This project is progressing really well.
    I just created a mock-up of System Restore that's based on the Transmission UI -- the simplist I could find...

Ok, let me explain how it would work: basically, the main view is of all the restore points in a list, and when one is highlighted then you can choose to backup from it, or remove it. "Add" simply creates a new restore point and puts it on the list ... "Create" and "Delete" would have been nicer, but Transmission already had those buttons and they seemed to fit quite well.

BTW, the screenshot didn't get the mouse (a "feature"), so just pretend there's a pointer on the Details button. But of course, I haven't even explained what that is: just a way to see which files are in a restore point, since the rules might have changed, without having to go check the actual files.

Oops I just noticed, kindly ignore that one of the restore points is apparently from the future, I'm just an idiot. The window focus is off too ... I don't think I'm too good at this!
    EDIT: Updated with a few things I liked (statusbar, search, etc)... I think it's done.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mc4100; August 25th, 2008 at 04:32 PM.

Beans

That looks quite nice, I've thought of having the add button as a part of the view/restore section too, and will try it out on my next modification.
    However, the multiline presentation, while it looks prettier than an ordinary list, I'll keep mine (at least for now) since I've implemented sorting based on name/date/time (just click at the column buttons)

By the way LaRoza, are we aiming on a full featured ubuntu package with this with localization support etc?

Page 13 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast