Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7600GS 720p resolution

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: 7600GS 720p resolution

Quote Originally Posted by uncle hammy View Post
    So far, everything seems fine. I do occasionally get some "lining", where I can see the horizontal lines in the picture, would be nice to get rid of it, but I can certainly live with it.

Is there another / better way to rid myself of the overscan? I do not have a VGA input on the TV. I have seen "modeline" referred to a couple times, but I have a feeling that would be well out of my league.
    Mess with deinterlacing in myth a little, and possibly the vsync settings in nvidia-settings for the the horiz lines.

W/o vga port, this is probably your best bet for now. Modelines can be tricky to create unless you find one already made for your TV.

Beans

Where do I go to play with the deinterlacing?

By the way, I haven't said thanks for all your help...so Thanks! You've been great.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

The S-Video connection that you referred to earlier is actually a dual-port--S-Video and Component out. It's possible that you didn't set the correct RGB mode on the TV. There are 2 basic modes: RGB-with sync on Green, and YPrPb with sync on Y. If you have the wrong mode set, then your colors will be strange. Check your TV settings and your card settings and make sure you have the same mode.

What kind of horizontal lines are they? Are they slowly moving down? Are they brightness lines? Perhaps the component cable will provide a clearer picture. Also try turning off the noise and some other filters on the TV. They are designed to clean up a dirty cable signal, but degrade a computer output.

Beans

Now, the aren't moving. They aren't all the time either. They are the actual horizontal lines of pixels. They usually appear in the form of little black streak around objects when the objects move.

Beans

OK, time for a reset....

I have reinstalled Mythbuntu (mostly because I am still in the testing phase, so it's no big deal). This time, I was very careful when setting the TV out options in the NVidia drivers setting during installation.

I now have component out working at full 720p! I also have DVI - HDMI working at full 720p! Both worked right out of the box once I rebooted after installation. I have a feeling I may have selected composite instead of component the first time round. I know the difference, but it was late .

However, even using component instead of HDMI, I still get over scanning. I also get the "lining" (think Enemy Of The State, what the screen looks like when they show the satellite images, only not so severe, and intermittently, depending on the show and channel). I wish I could take a screen shot of it, to show.

Is fixing the over-scanning easier from Component than HDMI?

Beans

Sometime this stuff gets so confusing....

My tv spcs says that 1080i is supported. So I tried doing an install and setting the TV OUT options Component 1080i, and it worked just fine. Now I suspect that the TV's NATIVE resolution is 720p, because the HDMI connection automatically chooses that.

However, at 1080i component out, the TV indicates it's a 1080i signal, and the "lining" seems to be gone. Though there appears to be a slight of flicker on objects move quickly. There is also some flicker in Myth Setup menus at the bottom....not in the main gui though.

Now the confusing part, if I go to the Myth Control Center, and look at the NVidia Settings Panel, all resolution options are available to me (1080i on down). So, out of curiosity, I set it to 720p and applied. Well, the screen just shrunk, and when I rebooted, all resolution options were gone, and I was stuck with 1024 x 768 and the washed out color, and no apparent way to get it all back??

Beans

OK, in the spirit of someone down the road getting something out of this post...

I have a backup of a working 1080i xorg.conf file and a 720p xorg.conf file on my machine, both from clean installs selecting 720 and 1080i for tv out respectively. I am able to overwrite xorg.conf with either, and they work.

I found the deinterlacing setting in the Playback settings, and it has solved almost all of my "lining" problem.

The only question I now have, is there are 3 algorithms for deinterlacing (Bob, Liner Blend, Kernel). WHat are the benefits / trade offs of each, and is there a clear cut winner to use? I have had no ill effects of any of them. I am thinking Bob, because it says if uses Xvc, which if I understand correctly, dumps some of the load to the Graphics Card.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8524

May help explain the differences.

I use bob on some machines and linear blend on others. It isn't clear cut because there are a lot of variables (video card, XvMC, display, CPU, types of programs you watch, etc.).

XvMC requires the use of bob, but Bob doesn't have to use XvMC. Bob generally requires the most CPU.

I notice the most difference when I watch fast moving things (like football). For me Bob is the only one that does a really good job on the movement.
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    Running ubuntu on an Atom 330, Atom D525, Turion 64 X2 TL-56, X2 3800, X2 4200, X2 4600, E2180, Core i5 450M, and a Core i7-2600
    My Hardware

Beans

Thanks, that was very helpful! It did bring up another question I've been pondering.....the mythical XvMC. I've seen it mentioned, I picked my 7600GS card over an 8500GT because I read the GS was XvMC capable, and that was a good thing.

What exactly is it, how do you use it, or know if you're using it?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XvMC

Will tell you all you need to know. You basically set up your Xorg.conf to use it (See the configuration section of the link I sent you) then you set myth to use it. You'll know you are using it when your OSD is in black and white. You should see CPU usage decrease as well. I have found it a bit buggy, as have others... so if you can display HD fine without, I'd recommend that.
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    Running ubuntu on an Atom 330, Atom D525, Turion 64 X2 TL-56, X2 3800, X2 4200, X2 4600, E2180, Core i5 450M, and a Core i7-2600
    My Hardware

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast