Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 7600GS 720p resolution

Beans

7600GS 720p resolution

Hi all,

This is my first go at this, so go easy on me . I have installed MythButnu AMD64 on myold AMD 64 3200+, 1.5 gig ram box, insatlled my HDHomeRun, and MythuBuntu is working nicely with it, installed my EVGA 7600GS in the box, and installed the NVdia_new drivers at setup and selected 720p component for the TV out settings.

Everything is working fine in most regards....I can watch, record, pause, my guide works, blah blah blah tv. All this was while still connected to my 17 lcd pc monitor for setup. Then a few quirks happened....

On one reboot, after first watching tv on my monitor, my resolution mysteriously flopped to 640 x 480, and the Nvidia proprietary drivers were turned off. I exited to the desktop, turned on the drivers again, and set my resolution through "displays and graphics" to 1280 x 1024 and rebooted. When it came back up, it was at 1600 x 1200 with the drivers on, and I couldn't change it.

Undaunted, I hooked it all up to my lcd tv to see what happens....

If I hook up via component, the color is horrid (extremely bright, and very washed out), but fine via s-video. For the most part it's awesome. However, I can't seem to get any better resolution than 1024 x 768, and I want the 1280 x 720 that my tv can handle. I have played around with the NVidia configuration, but 1024 x 768 is the highest resolution available to me.

What I have now, is odd to me. If I look at settings in the Display and Graphics window, my card drivers are shown as the NV only...not the proprietary ones. However, in the restricted drivers manager, the proprietary drivers show as enabled. In Display and Graphics, the monitor shows as my pc monitor at 1280 x 1024, but in the NVidia Configuration it shows "Screen 0" as my tv at 1024 x 768.

Perhaps I should also add, the box is an old EMachines. It has integrated video, that I am not using. I think I disabled it in the BIOS by disabling UMA for integrated video...but I'm not sure if that actually disabled it. Then again, if it's like most motherboards, inserting the new card into the PCI Express slot would have disabled the onboard video.

Can anyone give me any advice on getting 720p tv out output, and perhaps how I can get my component output to clean up?

Thanks,
    Hammy
    Last edited by uncle hammy; January 25th, 2008 at 02:39 PM.

Beans

Re: 7600GS 720p resolution

Another quick thought. My 7600GS card has a DVI output, and my TV has an HDMI input. Would my best bet be to buy a DVI - HDMI cable, and hook up my video that way?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I hooked my MythTV box like that DVI->HDMI and am very happy about it. I have other specs though so YMMV.

Beans

Did you just hook up a separate sound source, because HDMI normally carries sound? Do you think my resolution could be currently limited because of the connection s-video connection I am using, or should I still be able to get 720p through s-video with some configuration tweaking?

Beans

Lightbulb Re: 7600GS 720p resolution

You might have inadvertantly messed up xorg.conf
    Try going to a terminal program and type:
    Code:
    cd /etc/X11
    If you want you can open xorg.conf
    Code:
    sudo nano xorg.conf
    at the top of xorg.conf it gives you a reconfiguring command - I think it is
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
    But I can't remember for sure.

Good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by uncle hammy View Post
    Did you just hook up a separate sound source, because HDMI normally carries sound? Do you think my resolution could be currently limited because of the connection s-video connection I am using, or should I still be able to get 720p through s-video with some configuration tweaking?
    I added a sound cable from my PC to the TV too, there is a seperate entry on my TV for sound input connected to the HDMI port and the TV uses that when it is connected.

I do not think you can get 720p via s-video. As I recall s-video is interlaced as well, although I am not an expert....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stoodleysnow View Post
    You might have inadvertantly messed up xorg.conf
    Try going to a terminal program and type:
    Code:
    cd /etc/X11
    If you want you can open xorg.conf
    Code:
    sudo nano xorg.conf
    at the top of xorg.conf it gives you a reconfiguring command - I think it is
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
    But I can't remember for sure.

Good luck.
    SO, you're saying to launch the reconfigure command, and go through it step by step? At the end, I should hopefully have everything back to normal? Will it allow me to select the nvidia proprietary drivers again, set tv out settings again, etc?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

S-Video is also called 2-wire video. It it interlaced, 480 lines of resolution. Instead of one-wire video (composite video) where the entire video signal is pushed down one wire (with a shield), S-Video splits the same signal into two wires (color (C) and brightness (Y)), but it's still standard definition (480i). You need component (RGB) three-wire video to push higher modes like 480i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p. There are converters that take DVI and put out component and also DVI to HDMI which should also work.

Please post your experiences when you get a working combination of cabling and resolution selection.

Beans

My GS7600 card came with a s-video to component adapter that plugs in to the tv s video out. It was my first connection, but (as mentioned) the color has horrible....very bright, and washed out. I would love to figure out why that is.

Either way, I suspect I will get better results using DVI / HDMI cabling.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You will definitely get better results using DVI-HDMI. It is capable of much higher resolutions than S-video, which computer displays need (this is part of the reason you don't find computer monitors with S-video inputs). Computers have used higher resolutions than TVs for years until HDTV came into prominence. What ever resolution your are using on your computer is getting downsampled to 480i through s-video.

Also, there is currently little support for audio through HDMI in linux. Besides if you are using DVI->HDMI there is no possibility for audio to go through because DVI doesn't support audio.

If you want 720p you'll need to get the component (not composite, just to be clear because I see a lot of people interchange the two) working right or the DVI->HDMI working right. If your TV has a VGA in input your computer a VGA output you can get it that way too. Be sure to check what resolutions and refresh rates your TV supports through VGA if you go with this method.

What is your TV's native resolution.
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    Running ubuntu on an Atom 330, Atom D525, Turion 64 X2 TL-56, X2 3800, X2 4200, X2 4600, E2180, Core i5 450M, and a Core i7-2600
    My Hardware

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast