Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stallman is lonely...

Beans

Re: Stallman is lonely...

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhack View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Stallman has never been in a relationship before. He has a lot of great views but he tends to push people away with his condescending attitude. If I told RMS I was using fglrx because I wanted accelerated graphics he'd go into this big long 40 minute speech telling me why I'm wrong, why I'm an idiot, and say that I'm sacrificing my freedom for convenience, an act comparable to the holocaust. He is so nuts about non-free software that Godwin's Law can only be measured in Planck time with him.

You know that new Ubuntu distribution Gobuntu which is going to be built on entirely free software in an attempt to satisfy him and his radical fan base? He still doesn't approve of it because it "suggests non-free software". In other words, although it is disabled by default, it's possible to enable a non-free repository on Gobuntu and thus he can't recommend it. It seems the only distributions (a whopping two) which Stallman recommends do everything possible to stand in the user's way of installing non-free software. That's freedom? If you ask me, Stallman is a gNewSense.
    Such outrage all because rms expresses that "he can't recommend" something. He doesn't condemn it. He doesn't compare it to the Holocaust. He doesn't even call people "idiots" for using it. All he says is "I can't recommend it" and the ranting and raving ensues (I'm looking at you, BSD ).

It must be nice to have one's opinion matter so much.

Beans

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Stallman has never been in a relationship before.
    The GNU kernel was not originally supposed to be called the Hurd. Its original
    name was Alix—named after the woman who was my sweetheart at the time.
    http://www.gnu.org/doc/book13.html
    Every time you install Jaunty, a kitten........ wait sorry what year is this again?
    Please don't PM support questions, post a thread so that everyone can benefit
    Join us in #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'd hit it.
    "Ubuntu" is an ancient African word, meaning: "I can't configure Debian."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    I'd hit it.
    i was waiting for that, i knew someone would say it

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by saulgoode View Post
    Such outrage all because rms expresses that "he can't recommend" something. He doesn't condemn it. He doesn't compare it to the Holocaust. He doesn't even call people "idiots" for using it. All he says is "I can't recommend it" and the ranting and raving ensues (I'm looking at you, BSD ).
    I admire RMS for a lot of things. He is a very intelligent person. However, he takes things way too far. I find the people that step up to defend him often don't know the same man I do. This is the man that claims the Coca-Cola company condones murder. He told people to commit suicide in order to make a political statement if they are found with marijuana.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Matthew Stallman
    By the way, I hope you all know about the worldwide boycott of Coca Cola company for things like murdering union organizers in Columbia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Matthew Stallman
    If you are ever in a situation like this, don't kill yourself in private. Make your death itself be a blow against the tyrant. Plead innocent; then kill yourself in the courtroom, with the jury and journalists watching, after defying the judge by shouting, "I'm a medical marijuana grower. You were going to make those 12 honest citizens your tools for evil, but I will save them from you. May my death be on your conscience for as long as you live."
    As for the BSD incident, Theo de Raadt is an *******. I've never met him, but I've seen the mailing lists. I still admire him more than RMS; and yes I do admire RMS despite my criticisms, I just wish he would tone it down and not treat people who use proprietary software like they are part of the axis of evil. Theo is brilliant and I loved the way he stood up to RMS. I like to the think the best of people, but it almost seemed like he was trolling. He knew nothing about OpenBSD and he later went on to confess that he didn't even know if the BSD license was compatible or not with the GPL!

Beans

I admire RMS for a lot of things. He is a very intelligent person. However, he takes things way too far. I find the people that step up to defend him often don't know the same man I do. This is the man that claims the Coca-Cola company condones murder. He told people to commit suicide in order to make a political statement if they are found with marijuana.
    Stallman is usually quite precise in his statements (a typical trait of good programmers). He didn't claim that Coke "condones murder", he stated a wish that people were aware of a boycott campaign (at least in the quote you provided). He did not tell people to commit suicide, he stated that IF one was going to do it, to do so in a productive manner.

You may very well know the man better than I do; I have never met him nor interacted with him. All I know about him is from his works and the things he's actually stated. Nonetheless, it seems rather common for his statements to be mischaracterized and for sentiments to be falsely attributed to him.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Illidan View Post
    I agree that his picture does seem a little unkempt.
    "a little"?

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Who cares if he's a tad bit messy in the picture? I doubt anyone on these forums is going to contact him (other than Havoc, of course). Radicals seem to have a tendency to not care so much about what they look like, since they're so passionate about the things that devour their lives.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    I'd hit it.
    ... with some shampoo and a bar of soap.
    The moon will illuminate my room and soon I'm consumed by my doom.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by keynell View Post
    http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/bos/533096562.html

I don't know if this was posted already, but I couldn't help but chuckle.
    Did anyone look at the other items on this website?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast