Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which phone should I buy?

Beans

Which phone should I buy?

I want to buy a new phone, and of course I want to be able to connect it to my GNU/Linux PC. Connecting it via Bluetooth would be nice of course, but I don't hold my hopes high so I'll settle for a USB cable connection.
    Now, I just want to be able to store and retrieve files from my PC, and if possible access phonebook data. I'm not looking for tethering or anything like that.

So, I'm undecided between two phones: Nokia C2-01 and Nokia X3-02. Problem is, neither appears on the Wammu list of supported phones, so I don't know whether they will work or not.

Does anybody know whether they will work, or can otherwise suggest a working phone with similar specs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Which phone should I buy?

I think this is not the perfect place to discuss this.
    But in my opinion buy an android phone. Samsung's Android phones give lots of feature.
    But first enquire completely then put a step ahead.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have to agree with the post above. The Samsung Galaxy S2 (or any Samsung phone) would be great. Go Android.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Buying a lower-end Nokia Symbian-based phone is a lot better than a low-end Android phone that would cost the same. You'll get more apparent speed from the Nokia, plus the legendary build quality.

When you plug the Nokia phones into any PC, the phone asks you if you want to connect using MTP, USB Mass Storage, or the proprietary Nokia PC suite. If you select USB Mass Storage you can put files and music onto the phone just by using drag and drop.

For phonebook data, if Wammu supports other Nokia Symbian phones around the same era, then I'd expect it would support the two models you mention.

Incidentally, you can create a wifi hotspot on Symbian with a program called Joikuspot. Not as good as having it inbuilt like in Android, but still.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I own a Samsung Galaxy mini, and I like it very much. It's an Android-running phone, which I see as a point in its favour right away. And I can move files back and forth between phone and computer very simple, via bluetooth (I haven't even tried connecting via usb because I have seen no reason to). My friend has a ZTE Blade, which she finds wonderful. But the Bade is much more recent than the Galaxy mini, so is more powerful and more expensive. I reckon you could pick up a used Galaxy mini for pennies.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by pavi_elex View Post
    But in my opinion buy an android phone. Samsung's Android phones give lots of feature.
    I agree with this. I compared a lot of phones before settling on the samsung infuse running android. I installed gingerbread 2.3.6 on it, and it rocks. I look at other people's phones now and just shake my head. But I guess it's a matter of personal preference. But it's hard to beat android for all around functionality.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I recommend a Samsung Galaxy S2.
    Best thing that ever happened to me on Ubuntu Forums: http://i.imgur.com/itEJe.png

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Just remember that if you spend a lot of time SURFING with your phone, get one with a good Wi-Fi .. will save you a bundle! PLUS you can set up a wireless in your home and save save save on those expensive minutes and data minutes (do your downloading on the Wi-Fi system.. not on the phone system!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoundguy View Post
    Just remember that if you spend a lot of time SURFING with your phone, get one with a good Wi-Fi .. will save you a bundle! PLUS you can set up a wireless in your home and save save save on those expensive minutes and data minutes (do your downloading on the Wi-Fi system.. not on the phone system!)
    Btw, talk time is separate from data usage. Wifi only helps for data usage. I have unlimited cell to cell calling, but once I call a landline, the minutes tick off. However, I tend to download from wifi for data.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast