Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the OLDEST computer you have installed linux on?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: What's the OLDEST computer you have installed linux on?

Quote Originally Posted by victorbrca View Post
    I have two really old ones:

- Firewall (SmoothWall)
    . CPU - 200Mhz
    . RAM - 96MB
    . HD - 10GB

- Web Server, FTP and torrent - Ubuntu Dapper Server
    . CPU - 200Mhz
    . RAM - 160MB
    . HD - 10GB

Vic.
    I'm running my Smoothwall Express on a PII 450MHz... you running v2.0 or v3.0?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Lightbulb Re: What's the OLDEST computer you have installed linux on?

It was a sever year old Conpaq that came with Win 98. ... Linspire and later freespire ran on it without a hitch once i got tired of 98'...The mother board finally died...
    People called the machine a trash compactor, but it was a good machine.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
    I'm running my Smoothwall Express on a PII 450MHz... you running v2.0 or v3.0?
    Mine is version 2, and it's a couple of years old. I have to upgrade it. All my cards are ISA and I have to restart te machine once in a while if I download too much torrent from the Green network.

Vic.
    Your verbose output has been redirected to /dev/null
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    User 437407 with the Linux Counter -- My Site -- My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Oldest I've succesfully installed on was an old Compaq with a cyrix I think processor at like 300Mhz. Ran Caldera OpenLinux on it. Oldest I tried (my first ever attempt) was a really old HP Vectra 386 I believe. Probably would have worked but I had no clue what I was doing at the time. I think the distro was mu-linux or somesuch. Had it on a couple of floppies.
    Meh

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by victorbrca View Post
    Mine is version 2, and it's a couple of years old. I have to upgrade it. All my cards are ISA and I have to restart te machine once in a while if I download too much torrent from the Green network.

Vic.
    Mine is v2 as well... v3.0 went live about a week and a half after I got mine running (the second time... power hit took out half my components). Took me long enough to get the Smoothie running the way I liked, didn't want to start all over again with 3.

I'd definitely go with PCI cards and 512MB RAM... I'm running good with DG and ClamAV scanning all the incoming content.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
    Mine is v2 as well... v3.0 went live about a week and a half after I got mine running (the second time... power hit took out half my components). Took me long enough to get the Smoothie running the way I liked, didn't want to start all over again with 3.

I'd definitely go with PCI cards and 512MB RAM... I'm running good with DG and ClamAV scanning all the incoming content.
    I have another PC, a bit newer, which I'm debating if I use it to substitute my Smothie or as a LinuxMCE.

Smoothie is the one on the left...

Vic
    Your verbose output has been redirected to /dev/null
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    User 437407 with the Linux Counter -- My Site -- My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I think my oldest computer is my favorite...The Pentium II I have down in my siggie. Was given to us by hubby's boss. Has a 17" flat panel LCD monitor that was just given away with it. It was almost exactly a year ago I gave it 384 MB RAM (originally had 96 MB), an old nVidia GeForce3 Ti 500 graphics card I had lying around (originally it was an ATI RagePro, I think), a CD/DVD+RW burner (and it burns DVD's perfectly with either K3b or Brasero). It has its original 13 GB hard drive in it (I couldn't remove it. It's bolted to one of the sides of the computer. I had a spare 120 GB hard drive so I installed that too. I now run PCFluxboxOS, a recently reinstalled Ubuntu with pure XFCE4 (not Xubuntu), and I'll be putting another distro on it too to play around with...Maybe Antix....
    · Compaq Presario 5630 PII, 400 Mhz, 384 MB RAM: Arch with XFCE 4.6, Antix, Debian w/LDXE
    · Dell Dimension 8200, P4 2.2Ghz, 1.5 Gig RAM, Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows 7 (vrtualbox)
    · Thinkpad R40, P4 M 2.0 Ghz, 1 Gig RAM, Ubuntu 10.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I have used a 1994 pc (somewhere around 60MHz Top of the line at a time) with suse 9.3 ran terribly slow but would have been an okay server.
    すべてと、そして、すべてへのリナックスは自由を鳴らせました。
    Linux to all, and to all, let freedom ring.

Beans

Back in the day I had Linux installed on a 386 with 8 mb of ram.

Oldest one with Ubuntu, for me.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=294292
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast