Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the OLDEST computer you have installed linux on?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thumbs down Re: What's the OLDEST computer you have installed linux on?

I have 3 old dinosaurs that are, were, or will be running GNU/Linux. My very first dedicated GNU/Linux box bought off of eBay for $20, is a Compaq Deskpro 4000 with a Pentium Pro 180MHz, 96MB of RAM and an old Western Digital 4GB hard drive. I've installed Apache 1.3 and it works great for serving. It even has X on it and when setup properly nicely runs fine.
    X

The other box is still needing parts, but it's another Compaq - but a Proliant rack server with dual Pentium Pro 200MHz CPU's and it came with 512MB of RAM (iirc) along with two Seagate Hawk ST15230N Fast-SCSI-II drives connected to a Adaptec AHA-2940AU 32-bit PCI to Ultra SCSI adapter. Interestingly enough, it was apparently in eBay's care because no one wiped the hard drives. I need two processor power modules for it and I'm set.

The third is an old custom job I bought at a local church garage sale for $15 iirc. It's an AMD K6-2 500 with 512MB of RAM, and a Western Digital 17GB IDE hard drive. I have 8.04LTS on it and it runs a LAMP stack excellently (installed some groupware/portal stuff).

My firewall is a 750MHz AMD Athlon (slot A), 256MB, running Copfilter/URLfilter. Never even touches swap even with using all the features.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: What's the OLDEST computer you have installed linux on?

1.2 gb compaq armada SB that used to run on 98 now runs on slackware, the non gui one. And i have to say, it works 10 times better than windows 98, much faster too!
    .i coi rodo

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

400 MHz
    32 or 64 MB ram.

Can't remember. Ubuntu works, but the BIOS was so old that hibernate wouldn't work at all. DSL somehow did it out of the box. That's why I think prefer to have DSL in my old laptop.
    I installed ubuntu 18.4.2007.

Beans

A 10-year-old Sony VAIO. I installed Linux Mint, suspend/hibernate seems to work (but not on my 2-year-old computer). The specs are:

1 Ghz single-core proc
    512 mb RAM
    40 GB HD
    16 mb integrated graphics (no compiz-fusion, and it freezes when I run the engine screensaver)

It's not particularly fast.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

PII 200 MHz MMX Fujitsu lifebook 770 TX with 96 MB ram. Trident video card, Netgear 401 MA wireless card. One usb 1.1 port.

It is almost funny, but it works. I installed Xubuntu, then fluxbox. I usually boot from DamnSmallLinux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm running a home-rolled version of Puppy on a Compaq Armada 1592dmt with a Pentium MMX @ 233 Mhz, 96 MB ram, and a 3 GB hdd. It's old, but it still runs like a top...just a tad on the slow side.

Beans

In 1998 I installed Red Hat 5.0 on an Everex 486 with 33mhz and 5MB of ram on a 420MB HD. I did not bother running X on it. I seem to remember that compiling the kernel took over 8 hours. That same year I did a Red Hat 5.1 install on a 486 DX66 with 16MB ram and a 1 GB HD and a 256kb Cirrus Logic graphic card. It ran X with FVWM2.

Recently I have not bothered with Linux on old hardware and instead just go straight to NetBSD.

Beans

I have a 2000 G3 imac 500Mhz 512Mb Ram running Debian Etch. Ubuntu wouldn't run on it. I still use gnome and it runs well enough.

I also have a PII 266Mhz Dell Inspiron 3200 277Mb Ram. It's running Debian Lenny with the LXDE desktop which is both pretty and fast. I have never gotten the sound to work. I use Kazekahase for web browsing, Awesome browser for old machines, Netsurf is good too, but it doesn't have tabbed browsing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Believe it or not:

Linux Mandrake 7.0 on a 486-based IBM Aptiva with 32MB RAM and a 1.8GB hard disk.

It was slow, but still ran...
    Mid-2012 Apple MacBook Pro (9,2): 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 CPU; Ivy Bridge Mobile GPU; 8 GB RAM; 500 GB Apple HD.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Compaq Armada E500 with a 600MHz P3 processor, 256MB ram and an 80GB hard drive.
    The disk and 128 MB extra ram I put in myself.
    Unfortunately it is slow. I have a dual boot with Windows XP (originally it came with '98) and I must say XP wins.
    It's not completely fair since it is a tweaked version of XP, called XP-light from which much has been deleted. While running it only has a few processes in memory and I think that is what makes it "fast", well faster than Hardy 8.0.4.2

But as with my other PC, I use Hardy much more.
    DeMus

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast